Trump to reveal deal to keep nearly 1,000 Carrier jobs in Indiana

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It is also funny this is even a thing considering 1,000 jobs is a rounding error.

So we basically have the president intervening in private business for no meaningful national purpose to save a meaningless number of jobs.

Smart move. The incompetence is unbelievable.

Tell the people who work in that community that their jobs are meaningless. They'd gladly call you an asshole and tell you to F-off! I hope Trump does much more of this kind of stuff. The country needs it.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I'm totally shocked that you think the government leaning on private business is fine now. I bet if president elect Obama had leaned on a power plant to keep 1,000 solar jobs you would have felt the same way.
How did Trump make this deal? Do you know something we don't? How exactly did Trump "lean on" Carrier?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, they are turning into Milton Friedman all of the sudden.
Heh!
Another gem from a Trump victory.

The left is gonna get awwwwwwfully "small government" on us in the next 4 years!

At least this is gonna be entertaining. :D
Pointing out right-wing hypocrisy isn't the same as supporting the right-wing failed economic policies of the past 35 years.

But keep on keepin' on with that cognitive dissonance.

Again, Strongman Trump is gonna protect us children from FreeMarket™!

Hooray Strongman Trump!

Hooray!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It is also funny this is even a thing considering 1,000 jobs is a rounding error.

So we basically have the president intervening in private business for no meaningful national purpose to save a meaningless number of jobs.

Smart move. The incompetence is unbelievable.
Hillary thought the same. It cost her the election.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
It distorts the markets, and is contrary to equal protection of law, to have the president pick a company and give it special treatment for his own PR reasons.
Damn right, can't be letting overpaid deplorables get in the way of your cheap products and services as well as getting in the way of bonuses, stock prices and trickle up profits to the top 1%,

but look at the bright side, you will feel better about yourself if you support 15 DOLLAR AN HOUR BURGER FLIPPERS and other regulatory burdens you heap upon companies while demanding cheap prices.

what is truly sad is to see someone like Trump (no matter his reasoning or what you think of him) to be doing something ,even for appearances sake, for the little people that the Democrat party should have been doing all along.instead of the empty promises and lip service they have been harping towards unions and other working class people during elections for their vote, and then conveniently forget about them while they take care of their rich globalist corporate puppet masters while in office.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Pointing out right-wing hypocrisy isn't the same as supporting the right-wing failed economic policies of the past 35 years.

But keep on keepin' on with that cognitive dissonance.

Again, Strongman Trump is gonna protect us children from FreeMarket™!

Hooray Strongman Trump!

Hooray!
You don't know what happened here. I have zero problem with a government offering incentives for businesses to keep people employed. The free market has never been completely free in this country, removing some of those restrictions isn't a violation of free market principles. But again, we don't know what happened yet.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Can't wait for the excuses when construction on the gas chambers start. The goebbels wannabes just getting warmed up.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Now that's just fucking crazy talk.
Well, Indiana just lost half the Carrier jobs there, and paid a healthy sum in tax breaks to keep the remaining half, and yet here we are, celebrating Trump's jobs 'victory.'
Seems like the crazy has only just begun.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Well, Indiana just lost half the Carrier jobs there, and paid a healthy sum in tax breaks to keep the remaining half, and yet here we are, celebrating Trump's jobs 'victory.'
C'mon, saying gas chambers are on their way is insane.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Going to be hard to spin that one; better get practicing.

It's not "crazy", it's by design. Seems pretty obvious they were lying about fiscal responsibility from the start; that's only for black people.

Fitting in a way that americans are finally going to experience what the tinpot despots they've been propping up around the world are like.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Things like good jobs and a great economy do not need a PR. People will see and feel it when it happens around them. Rarely do I see a coordinated PR of this kind happening outside of totalitarian regimes.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm not predicting gas chambers, but all the anger and lies and division being spread by Trump and Co has to go somewhere. It will not be without consequence. That's just not how nature works. Add in the fact that Trump is just riding a global wave of the same kind of nationalist populism using the same tactics of lies and division.. and I'm predicting serious geopolitical instability within the next 2 years.

Jul 9, 2009
I'm not predicting gas chambers, but all the anger and lies and division being spread by Trump and Co has to go somewhere. It will not be without consequence. That's just not how nature works. Add in the fact that Trump is just riding a global wave of the same kind of nationalist populism using the same tactics of lies and division.. and I'm predicting serious geopolitical instability within the next 2 years.
Like you predicted a Clinton victory? Yeah, nice work there.

Reactions: buckshot24

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I'm totally shocked that you think the government leaning on private business is fine now. I bet if president elect Obama had leaned on a power plant to keep 1,000 solar jobs you would have felt the same way.
I'm 1000% positive you would be here spinning it as awesome if it had been Obama.

Trump isn't "the government" yet, and really, I don't give a good shit about this whole subject. I just find it funny to see you and others lose your head over "government leaning on private business" just because Trump was elected!

Like I said, it's going to be hilarious watching you and other Ginormous Government cheerleaders become small government types in the next four years! I agree with buckshot on this, we should just start calling you Milton already. :D

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Like you predicted a Clinton victory? Yeah, nice work there.
I'm 1000% positive you would be here spinning it as awesome if it had been Obama.

Trump isn't "the government" yet, and really, I don't give a good shit about this whole subject. I just find it funny to see you and others lose your head over "government leaning on private business" just because Trump was elected!

Like I said, it's going to be hilarious watching you and other Ginormous Government cheerleaders become small government types in the next four years! I agree with buckshot on this, we should just start calling you Milton already. :D

LOL at the degenerates who'll say anything to collect their white welfare.

Sometimes when i stumble across these little gems it's like Nov. 9th at 3:00 AM all over again

Let's not pretend there's anything you won't excuse Trump for as long as you get yours.