Trump to reveal deal to keep nearly 1,000 Carrier jobs in Indiana

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If true, that's a great thing. My fear is that we (Indiana and the federal government) throw a whole lot of tax money to Carrier, and in return they move their remaining jobs to Mexico slowly instead of all at once.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If true, that's a great thing. My fear is that we (Indiana and the federal government) throw a whole lot of tax money to Carrier, and in return they move their remaining jobs to Mexico slowly instead of all at once.

Or they gave him a, probably temporary, win to distract from their other closure in Huntington which is 700 jobs. I can only presume they are moving one line to Mexico but keeping another here. Depending which made the cut this could be minus another 350 jobs from the supplier that's moving to Mexico too.

Jul 9, 2009
What? Guy helped save some jobs. What's the problem?
We need this kind of thing. Not 15 dollar an hour hamburger flippers as a solution to jobs.
It's tough to spin this as a negative. Not that we can't be cautious about what was promised and what it may cost.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
We need this kind of thing. Not 15 dollar an hour hamburger flippers as a solution to jobs.

there's no problem yet, just as you can't just say "we need this kind of thing" without knowing the details.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

"While terms of the deal are not yet clear, the sources indicated there were new incentives on offer from the state of Indiana, where Pence is governor, that helped clear a path for the agreement."

LOL

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It distorts the markets, and is contrary to equal protection of law, to have the president pick a company and give it special treatment for his own PR reasons.

Reactions: bradly1101

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
It's always funny when fiscal conservatism dresses up welfare as tax cuts. I imagine at some point they'll have dropped the rate to zero, and will start providing negative taxes as the new way to euphemize over what it is.

Also, Trump/Bannon playbook:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_fascism

"Fascist governments encouraged the pursuit of private profit and offered many benefits to large businesses, but they demanded in return that all economic activity should serve the national interest.[8] Historian Gaetano Salvemini argued in 1936 that fascism makes taxpayers responsible to private enterprise, because "the State pays for the blunders of private enterprise... Profit is private and individual. Loss is public and social."[9]

One significant fascist economic belief was that prosperity would naturally follow once the nation has achieved a cultural and spiritual re-awakening.[10] Often, different members of a fascist party would make completely opposite statements about the economic policies they supported.[11] Once in power, fascists usually adopted whatever economic program they believed to be most suitable for their political goals."

"In most cases, fascists discouraged or banned foreign trade; fascists believed that too much international trade would make the national economy dependent on international capital, and therefore vulnerable to international economic sanctions. Economic self-sufficiency, known as autarky, was a major goal of most fascist governments.[16]

Fascism was highly militaristic, and as such, fascists often significantly increased military spending. It also emphasized privatization.[17][18][19]"

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
FreeMarket™ can go fuck itself. Strongman Trump has promised to protect all of us children against market competition.

Also: B̶e̶n̶g̶h̶a̶z̶i̶ Flag Burning.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Also, workers know their job depends not on their productivity and quality and competitiveness of the product, but on whether Trump is paying attention or needs a PR boost. Completely screwed up incentives.
I'm sure they will think of you when they keep getting pay checks. You guys are simply amazing.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Why doesn't Trump simply slap his 35% tariff on em? Cheaper than throwing tax money at them, right?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Not really. We are nearing full employment and the amount of poor people entering the middle class is declining. $15 is probably exactly what we need.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It's always funny when fiscal conservatism dresses up welfare as tax cuts. I imagine at some point they'll have dropped the rate to zero, and will start providing negative taxes as the new way to euphemize over what it is.

Also, Trump/Bannon playbook:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_fascism

"Fascist governments encouraged the pursuit of private profit and offered many benefits to large businesses, but they demanded in return that all economic activity should serve the national interest.[8] Historian Gaetano Salvemini argued in 1936 that fascism makes taxpayers responsible to private enterprise, because "the State pays for the blunders of private enterprise... Profit is private and individual. Loss is public and social."[9]

One significant fascist economic belief was that prosperity would naturally follow once the nation has achieved a cultural and spiritual re-awakening.[10] Often, different members of a fascist party would make completely opposite statements about the economic policies they supported.[11] Once in power, fascists usually adopted whatever economic program they believed to be most suitable for their political goals."

"In most cases, fascists discouraged or banned foreign trade; fascists believed that too much international trade would make the national economy dependent on international capital, and therefore vulnerable to international economic sanctions. Economic self-sufficiency, known as autarky, was a major goal of most fascist governments.[16]

Fascism was highly militaristic, and as such, fascists often significantly increased military spending. It also emphasized privatization.[17][18][19]"

Holy shit! Tell me that was some clever edit by some jokesters that simply are looking to make trump look bad because that wasn't an article on fascism, it was a play by play of the current Republican party.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Holy shit! Tell me that was some clever edit by some jokesters that simply are looking to make trump look bad because that wasn't an article on fascism, it was a play by play of the current Republican party.

Yeah, in fairness to Trump he's just cranking it from a 7 to 11.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
On what planet is keeping 1000 jobs in this country a bad thing?

Don't worry- Trump & the Repubs will lay off a few 100K govt workers to make up the difference then privatize even more jobs at lower pay.

Just remember- Only Trump can fix it. He said so, therefore it must be true.