Trump to penalize immgrants needing public support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well I guess they need to come up with the billions of dollars to subsidize farmers due to Trumps trade policies. Guess we can’t have policies in place like this that requires the government to assist people with... wait a sec.

How dare you question the glorious state beet harvest of golden future millennia, comrade!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Dear Abby,
I would like to move to New Zealand but I'm on US social security and aren't flush with cash. Can you or other readers help me?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This is what I mean about the left today jumping left of common sense today. The OP is a perfectly rational and reasonable stance, yet nothing but whining from posters here and silly "but Trump!' posts.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The US can invite immigrants that have some resources, or immigrants that will need to be supported by tax payer dollars. I think we should use a democratic approach and vote on how much the US should spend to support immigrants that can't support themselves. Lets put a dollar value on the question then proceed based on the amount selected.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The US can invite immigrants that have some resources, or immigrants that will need to be supported by tax payer dollars. I think we should use a democratic approach and vote on how much the US should spend to support immigrants that can't support themselves. Lets put a dollar value on the question then proceed based on the amount selected.

Immigrants have a resource: *labor*

I think you'd be disappointed once the costs were netted out over time against taxes generated, stimulation to the economy, and the income potential of 2nd generation residents who tend to average dramatically more than native borns. Rich Swedish particle physicists also aren't going to replace your septic tank, clean your hotel room, or cook your meals.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Rich Swedish particle physicists also aren't going to replace your septic tank, clean your hotel room, or cook your meals.
Ahem.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Immigrants have a resource: *labor*

I think you'd be disappointed once the costs were netted out over time against taxes generated, stimulation to the economy, and the income potential of 2nd generation residents who tend to average dramatically more than native borns. Rich Swedish particle physicists also aren't going to replace your septic tank, clean your hotel room, or cook your meals.
I get it. A peasant class is a great thing to have around. Who wants to clean their own toilet when you can have someone do it for peanuts? The same goes for all the things you mentioned. It's not like white people will do it.
I mow my lawn, wash my own cars, repair my own appliances. I actually have no need of a peasant class to oppress, so I'm not very interested in having one.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I get it. A peasant class is a great thing to have around. Who wants to clean their own toilet when you can have someone do it for peanuts? The same goes for all the things you mentioned. It's not like white people will do it.
I mow my lawn, wash my own cars, repair my own appliances. I actually have no need of a peasant class to oppress, so I'm not very interested in having one.

Lol. Do you shop in stores? Eat at restaurants? Buy groceries? Stay in hotels? Consume entertainment?

This immigrant independent fantasy is quite interesting.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
This is what I mean about the left today jumping left of common sense today. The OP is a perfectly rational and reasonable stance, yet nothing but whining from posters here and silly "but Trump!' posts.
100 year old statute initially applied towards the mentally disabled now is being dredged up to keep out brown people. How is it not silly Trump?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/12/trumop-immigration-public-benefits-1413690

This is actually something I support...I've been raked over the coals here before for my stance that immigrants to this country should NOT come here and collect welfare, food stamps, etc.

The law has been pretty specific about this for decades...actually, over a century

The USA should not be the world's welfare agency, nor its police force.

Want to immigrate here, be prepared to fully support yourself and your family, or have sponsors who are willing to shoulder the burden. Do NOT depend on the taxpayers for your support.

I love the false premise about the 100 year old law being quite specific. If it was, we'd have been doing it the Trump way all along. But we haven't.

It's not just about who we let in but people who are already here. Why should we treat legal immigrants worse than we treat ourselves, anyway? Don't they deserve equal treatment under the law?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/12/trumop-immigration-public-benefits-1413690

This is actually something I support...I've been raked over the coals here before for my stance that immigrants to this country should NOT come here and collect welfare, food stamps, etc.

The law has been pretty specific about this for decades...actually, over a century

The USA should not be the world's welfare agency, nor its police force.

Want to immigrate here, be prepared to fully support yourself and your family, or have sponsors who are willing to shoulder the burden. Do NOT depend on the taxpayers for your support.

I love the false premise about the 100 year old law being quite specific. If it was, we'd have been doing it the Trump way all along. But we haven't.

It's not just about who we let in but people who are already here. Why should we treat legal immigrants worse than we treat ourselves, anyway? Don't they deserve equal treatment under the law?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Under Trump is probably means if you are brown/black, of course you'll demand welfare in the future.
Or? Maybe it has something to do with one's ability to support themselves. Just spitballing. Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct answer. I wonder what the requirements are to emigrate to other countries in the world? I bet really progressive countries like New Zealand let anyone just show up and poof you get to remain there.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Lol. Do you shop in stores? Eat at restaurants? Buy groceries? Stay in hotels? Consume entertainment?

This immigrant independent fantasy is quite interesting.
It's not as interesting as your belief that only immigrants can do menial jobs. Did you know that some of them can speak and do simple math just like real people?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I wonder what other countries require as far as financial proof of support before immigration.

Hmmm

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
When Trump is gone and the next democrat president takes over, just imagine all the Trump crap that new president will need to undo. Need to reverse. Need to nullify.
Just like when Trump reversed all of those Obama achievements the first chance Trump got, the next president will have so much more to undo.
Tear down that wall.
Restore the US constitution to original form.
Ban guns from schools and churches once again.
Restore the EPA protections.
Fire Bill Barr and appoint a real attorney general to the job.
Reestablishment laws protecting the environment and protecting endangered species.
Kicking Kim Jong Un to the curb.
Kicking Vladimir Putin to the curb.
And so so so much more.
The next president will have his or her work cut out for them, thats for sure....

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When Trump is gone and the next democrat president takes over, just imagine all the Trump crap that new president will need to undo. Need to reverse. Need to nullify.
Just like when Trump reversed all of those Obama achievements the first chance Trump got, the next president will have so much more to undo.
Tear down that wall.
Restore the US constitution to original form.
Ban guns from schools and churches once again.
Restore the EPA protections.
Fire Bill Barr and appoint a real attorney general to the job.
Reestablishment laws protecting the environment and protecting endangered species.
Kicking Kim Jong Un to the curb.
Kicking Vladimir Putin to the curb.
And so so so much more.
The next president will have his or her work cut out for them, thats for sure....

Just wait...unless the Dems find a candidate who can magically beat King Donnie the Dotard, (or the pee tapes find their way to the light) Trump is gonna get 4 more years to really fuck shit up and sell the USA down the shitter.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's not as interesting as your belief that only immigrants can do menial jobs. Did you know that some of them can speak and do simple math just like real people?

There are absolutely skilled immigrants and we should have more of them. Your basic argument was that people without a resource should not be let in because they'll become public charges, in this context you're talking about unskilled people who actually do have a resource (labor) that we depend on heavily for a functional economy. This is not an argument for taking unfair advantage of the latter group either who should have fully legal wages and benefits along with the all the protections our law affords workers.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just wait...unless the Dems find a candidate who can magically beat King Donnie the Dotard, (or the pee tapes find their way to the light) Trump is gonna get 4 more years to really fuck shit up and sell the USA down the shitter.

And you're so blind that you'll help Trump get there.