Trump to address nation 4/13

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I am with China on this one and believe this attack to be an international war crime. Would love to see the leaders of America, France and England dragged into the Hague and tried. We are an evil empire.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You are correct in the fact that all participated. Part of the issue as I see it (and there is reporting out there to this effect) is Trump painted the U.S. and her allies into a corner with his twitter outburst about missiles being on the way. The twitter diplomacy needs to stop and his spur of the moment rantings need to come to an end.

I disagree that anyone was forced to participate.

"UK Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed British involvement, saying there was "no practicable alternative to the use of force"."

"French President Emmanuel Macron also confirmed his country's participation in the operation."

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You should source your facts then, just so everyone is on the same page, what you are driveling is hannity-breitbart-inforwars facts. OBAMA DID IT. Right?

Did the US lead the coalition? Did your cheeto prince twitter spasm the attack out a week before the actual attack? Cheeto owns it and you own it for being a cheeto fanboi.

OK so you have nothing.

Jan 25, 2011
I disagree that anyone was forced to participate.

"UK Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed British involvement, saying there was "no practicable alternative to the use of force"."

"French President Emmanuel Macron also confirmed his country's participation in the operation."
Of course that's what they say. Now.

When he tweet his taunt to Russia he caught both his staffers and allies off guard as no decision had been made as to what course of action they would take.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/politics/donald-trump-syria-tweets/index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump's morning declaration that "nice and new and 'smart'" missiles would soon be fired toward Syria caught most of his aides off guard and came before an agreement had been reached between key US allies, multiple American and Western officials said on Wednesday.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-threatens-syria-before-allies-on-are-on-board

But that response in now ahead of where Trump’s allies are. A British diplomat familiar with the ongoing discussions on Syria told The Daily Beast on Wednesday that London had yet to decide on military action. That decision would come in response to a request from the U.K.’s allies. As of midday Wednesday, no such request had been made. The United States has not officially asked the United Kingdom for assistance in a Syria attack.

Don't miss my point. He needs to shut his damn mouth and not conduct this shit over Twitter.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The NY Times reports that many other countries support the actions taken last night.

Those who have approved of the action include the following, according to The New York Times:

Britain
Germany
France
Canada
Australia
Israel
Turkey
Italy
Saudi Arabia
Poland
The United Arab Emirates
Japan

Countries that opposed the action:

Syria
Iran
Russia

Neutral stance ( Condemning the chemical attack but preferring a diplomatic solution )

Sweden
China

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Of course that's what they say. Now.

When he tweet his taunt to Russia he caught both his staffers and allies off guard as no decision had been made as to what course of action they would take.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/politics/donald-trump-syria-tweets/index.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-threatens-syria-before-allies-on-are-on-board

Don't miss my point. He needs to shut his damn mouth and not conduct this shit over Twitter.

I agree with the Twitter bull shit. I hate Twitter.

However I give credit to Britain and France to be adult enough to Not be lead by the nose into something they disagree with.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
What's been fascinating is seeing some of the Trump cheerleaders on Twitter turn on him for betraying his supposedly anti-interventionist stance. And then watching them take flak from the most mindlessly loyal of Trump fans for daring to question the divine wisdom of Dear Leader.

You mean that Trump... lied about something? That he set expectations he never intended to fulfill? You don't say.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
So Trump is out tweeting mission accomplished in Syria. How long do you suppose it will take for more gas to hit the population? What if ISIS performed the attack to frame Assad so we'd help them with their mission? So many unanswered questions here.

Jan 25, 2011
So Trump is out tweeting mission accomplished in Syria. How long do you suppose it will take for more gas to hit the population? What if ISIS performed the attack to frame Assad so we'd help them with their mission? So many unanswered questions here.
Davw-FRX4AUdKNc.jpg

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Don't think this will necessarily stop more chemical attacks. I don't see an elaborate conspiracy here, though: Assad is determined to silence dissent by any means, and that includes gassing his own people. ISIS would both have the resources to deploy chemical weapons and the foresight to play international powers like a fiddle.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Without being presented the evidence Assad is behind the attacks ala Adlei Stevenson we are taking the word of our military.

Question, since Trump announced last week we are getting out of Syria soon, what would be the motive of Assad to launch a gas attack?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I think back to how Bush/Cheney influenced Colin Powell to paint a false narrative over Iraqi WMD's that the west bought in to. Republican administrations painting false narratives for the purposes of achieving ulterior motives is nothing new and since Trump is in such dire straits this would not surprise me here. His man child antics are demoralizing the military right now as he's making it very difficult for them to plan around them.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Don't think this will necessarily stop more chemical attacks. I don't see an elaborate conspiracy here, though: Assad is determined to silence dissent by any means, and that includes gassing his own people. ISIS would both have the resources to deploy chemical weapons and the foresight to play international powers like a fiddle.

Whole lotta assertion there. Its funny that America has simply to say it has the evidence now and not a single media outlet asks for it. This is where we are now. Call me a skeptic but I would like to see the evidence. This could EASILY be a case of the rebels attacking themselves. IT IS A MATTER OF OBJECTIVE FACT THAT THE REVELS HAVE USED CHEMICAL WEAPONS ALREADY.

Testimony from victims strongly suggests it was the rebels, not the Syrian government, that used Sarin nerve gas during a recent incident in the revolution-wracked nation, a senior U.N. diplomat said Monday.

Carla del Ponte, a member of the U.N. Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, told Swiss TV there were “strong, concrete suspicions but not yet incontrovertible proof,” that rebels seeking to oust Syrian strongman Bashar al-Assad had used the nerve agent.

But she said her panel had not yet seen any evidence of Syrian government forces using chemical weapons, according to the BBC, but she added that more investigation was needed.

Damascus has recently facing growing Western accusations that its forces used such weapons, which President Obama has described as crossing a red line. But Ms. del Ponte’s remarks may serve to shift the focus of international concern.

Ms. del Ponte, who in 1999 was appointed to head the U.N. war crimes tribunals for Yugoslavia and Rwanda, has sometimes been a controversial figure. She was removed from her Rwanda post by the U.N. Security Council in 2003, but she continued as the chief prosecutor for the Yugoslav tribunal until 2008.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/6/syrian-rebels-used-sarin-nerve-gas-not-assads-regi/

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Whole lotta assertion there. Its funny that America has simply to say it has the evidence now and not a single media outlet asks for it. This is where we are now. Call me a skeptic but I would like to see the evidence.
I'm watching the pentagon briefing right now and the reporters are asking for the evidence.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Whole lotta assertion there. Its funny that America has simply to say it has the evidence now and not a single media outlet asks for it. This is where we are now. Call me a skeptic but I would like to see the evidence. This could EASILY be a case of the rebels attacking themselves. It it was, the ploy has payed dividends already.

It's more just Occam's Razor: Syria has used chemical weapons against civilians numerous times in the past, it has the better means for deploying those weapons, and we know evidence was making its way toward countries like France. It'd require elaborate proof to show that rebels were using chemical weapons against each other, especially if it were meant to be some kind of false flag. That'd be a huge gamble knowing the unpredictability of Trump.

This doesn't mean I'm a huge fan of the retaliatory strikes, just that logic suggests the chemical attack wasn't an elaborate scheme.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
It's more just Occam's Razor: Syria has used chemical weapons against civilians numerous times in the past, it has the better means for deploying those weapons, and we know evidence was making its way toward countries like France. It'd require elaborate proof to show that rebels were using chemical weapons against each other, especially if it were meant to be some kind of false flag. That'd be a huge gamble knowing the unpredictability of Trump.

This doesn't mean I'm a huge fan of the retaliatory strikes, just that logic suggests the chemical attack wasn't an elaborate scheme.

Occam's Razor tells me that Assad had NOTHING to win and EVERYTHING to lose with a chemical attack while the rebels had EVERYTHING to gain by one.

According to this, everybody and their mother is using chemical weapons over there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_chemical_weapons_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War

mainly blamed on Syrian Ba'athist forces, as well as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and even on Syrian opposition forces and Turkish Armed Forces.[

This action is one of Trump's WORST mistakes. It is disgusting. We are a war=monger nation that ONLY attacks targets that are defenseless and ONLY targets that bear NO relation to American interests.. I was so hopeful when Trump stated he was pulling out. I see now that we will probably be in Syria for decades for no purpose other than to kill people with 2 million dollar bombs. Apparently it is in our interest for the Syrian civil war to never end. We will make it happen.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Occam's Razor tells me that Assad had NOTHING to win and EVERYTHING to lose with a chemical attack while the rebels had EVERYTHING to gain by one.

According to this, everybody and their mother is using chemical weapons over there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_chemical_weapons_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War

This action is one of Trump's WORST mistakes. It is disgusting. We are a war=monger nation that ONLY attacks targets that are defenseless and ONLY targets that bear NO relation to American interests.. I was so hopeful when Trump stated he was pulling out. I see now that we will probably be in Syria for decades for no purpose other than to kill people with 2 million dollar bombs. Apparently it is in our interest for the Syrian civil war to never end. We will make it happen.
Assad using chemical weapons isn't an unusual thing, so I'm not sure why you're at all suprised at him using it here when he has the support of the Russian military.
Theres a bunch of guys he really, really doesn't like. What's he to do as a psychotic dictator? Force them to surrender then round them up post war and shoot them? Remember these are guys that are his enemy, he isn't going to let them surrender and walk away.