Trump suggests 75 year old protester is Antifa?

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
I still don't understand why Trump and his supporters believe this matters, even if it was true. So let's just say he was "scanning" something. That means police get to assault him?

There was no grounds for use of force in that manner in this case. It could clearly be seen.

Its like saying Floyd was failing to cooperate... so when someone fails to cooperate the police get to kneel on the neck for 8 minutes.

So, even if all these asinine claims were true, the police actions still aren't justified. It pisses me off too.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I still don't understand why Trump and his supporters believe this matters, even if it was true. So let's just say he was "scanning" something. That means police get to assault him?

There was no grounds for use of force in that manner in this case. It could clearly be seen.

Its like saying Floyd was failing to cooperate... so when someone fails to cooperate the police get to kneel on the neck for 8 minutes.

So, even if all these asinine claims were true, the police actions still aren't justified. It pisses me off too.

but it DOES justify this shit in their mind's eye. Thin blue line. Blue lives matter. LAW AND ORDER! And all that dumbass rhetoric.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Jesus H. Christ on a crutch. How low is this guy going to go?

In addition, I wish it was just the President. You know he did not originate these ideas. I am going to guess he watches a certain "news" network that was promoting everything the President tweeted. And propagandizing these ideas and excuses FOR police violence for millions of Americans to endorse. The Republican voting bloc.

Nothing too low, they want the protestors outright killed after painting them all as violent looters.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I do not approve of Trump using the guys name in a tweet.

I really hope his "very fine" people do not take action against him.

And since techincally Trump did use his personal twitter account I would imagine Trump should take some liability if Martin gets harassed.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
In addition, I wish it was just the President. You know he did not originate these ideas. I am going to guess he watches a certain "news" network that was promoting everything the President tweeted. And propagandizing these ideas and excuses FOR police violence for millions of Americans to endorse. The Republican voting bloc.

Nothing too low, they want the protestors outright killed after painting them all as violent looters.

Yeah I know. I guess I was commenting on the tweet itself. Not the concept behind the tweet. He tags OAN in the tweet, so it's obvious where it came from. I'm furious the concept exists, but I'm more furious that the President of the United States of America would propagate and support such a fucking idea.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I do not approve of Trump using the guys name in a tweet.

I really hope his "very fine" people do not take action against him.

And since techincally Trump did use his personal twitter account I would imagine Trump should take some liability if Martin gets harassed.
I am sure the people who were losing their shit at white nationalists being doxed will be along soon to condemn the President’s behavior.

Reactions: soundforbjt

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I am sure the people who were losing their shit at white nationalists being doxed will be along soon to condemn the President’s behavior.
Ugh... were there some of those here? I don't dig into every thread anymore. I just can't bring myself to do it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Loosely define a movement.
Paint movement as evil.
Ascribe anyone as disagreeing with you as part of said movement.
Make said movement illegal.

Congratulations! You've made opposition to you illegal now!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Jesus H. Christ on a crutch. How low is this guy going to go? Yes, I think this needed it's own thread. I'm fucking furious.

He's just projecting from personal experience as an elderly fascist provocateur.

I'm surprised he didn't use his usual cowardly tactic of prefixing with "People are saying...", at which people his faithful followers on this forum would do their usual "um actually" at any suggestion that he was stating an opinion or anything at all.

Reactions: Muse

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Loosely define a movement.
Paint movement as evil.
Ascribe anyone as disagreeing with you as part of said movement.
Make said movement illegal.

Congratulations! You've made opposition to you illegal now!
I get the tactic. It is just mind boggling to me that people are willing to skip over all the logical steps along the way. Frankly, it hard for me to accept that 45% of America is either stupid or borderline sociopathic. I keep trying to find an irrefutable argument...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I get the tactic. It is just mind boggling to me that people are willing to skip over all the logical steps along the way. Frankly, it hard for me to accept that 45% of America is either stupid or borderline sociopathic. I keep trying to find an irrefutable argument...

Once you get people who Trust you to react on an Emotional level, you don't need Logic.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The person that Republicans voted for demonized a loose movement that has a habit of battling it out with white supremacists and labeling them a terrorists organization.
What is antifa?
Short for “anti-fascists,” antifa is not a single organization but rather an umbrella term for far-left-leaning movements that confront or resist neo-Nazis and white supremacists at demonstrations.

There is no hierarchical structure to antifa or universal set of tactics that makes its presence immediately recognizable, though members tend to espouse revolutionary and anti-authoritarian views, said Mark Bray, a historian at Rutgers University and author of “Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook.”

“They do different things at different times in different ways, some of which there is evidence of them breaking the law. Other times there is not,” Bray said.

Literature from the antifa movement encourages followers to monitor the activities of white supremacist groups, publicize the personal information of perceived enemies, develop self-defense training regimens and compel outside organizations to cancel any speakers or events with “a fascist bent,” according to a 2018 Congressional Research Service report.

After he and his movement created a boogeyman\strawman for his supporters consumption, he accused a 75 year old American citizen assualted by Police of being a member of this organization and trying to falsify the incident.

He has now placed this man in danger using his rhetoric.

This is the person that Republicans voted for.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
'That hospitalized old man got what was coming to him' is certainly one communications strategy they could use.

Let's see how that works out for them.

Reactions: Aegeon