Trump Sues Ways and Means and NY Officials to protect tax returns

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Judge dismisses Trump effort to block Congress from obtaining his taxes

"District Court Judge Trevor McFadden, a Trump appointee, dismissed the case, citing Supreme Court precedent...

The House Ways and Means Committee, led by Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass., asked the IRS to release Trump’s tax returns in April 2019, kick-starting a lengthy court battle...

In his ruling, McFadden suggested that Neal should refrain from making Trump’s tax information public, though he noted it was the "chairman’s right to do so."

two and a half years was far too long for this decision to be final and i hope that Rep Neal releases them to the public.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Judge dismisses Trump effort to block Congress from obtaining his taxes

"District Court Judge Trevor McFadden, a Trump appointee, dismissed the case, citing Supreme Court precedent...

The House Ways and Means Committee, led by Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass., asked the IRS to release Trump’s tax returns in April 2019, kick-starting a lengthy court battle...

In his ruling, McFadden suggested that Neal should refrain from making Trump’s tax information public, though he noted it was the "chairman’s right to do so."

two and a half years was far too long for this decision to be final and i hope that Rep Neal releases them to the public.

Would be a good bargaining chip to have Trump admit to lesser crimes and get his ass thrown in jail for a decade or two.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
OP said:
President Trump on Tuesday sued the House Ways and Means Committee and New York state officials for employing an "unconstitutional" law to obtain his state tax returns...

I think a judge should use Billy Connolly's response to a heckler:

"Don't tell me how to do my job! Do I come in to your rehab class and show you how to fucking finger-paint?!?"

Reactions: Leeea

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Appeals, appeals, appeals and more appeals. The unGreat Orange will be long dead and buried and Junior will still be filing appeals .....
We have a problem with abuse of the legal system and courts in this country. Appeals are not supposed to be for "I don't like the ruling". m They are supposed to be if there where mistakes in the trial, misconduct, or new evidence found.

Reactions: Leeea

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
At a minimum legislation needs to be passed to expedite conflicts between the political branches because as Trump has shown here it is possible to run out the clock through bad faith abuse of the system designed only to delay until your term is up or your party takes a house of Congress.

Again, these disputes should be decided in a matter of weeks, not months.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We should expand the federal courts just to deal with inter branch/government disputes. This way stalling would be muted.

When they aren't busy the can take some other cases.

Reactions: Leeea and hal2kilo
Nov 17, 2019
Many of these cases should have been rejected by the courts to begin with and deferred back to the Legislative process ... documents turned over automatically by the IRS and Archivist on request of Congress.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Many of these cases should have been rejected by the courts to begin with and deferred back to the Legislative process ... documents turned over automatically by the IRS and Archivist on request of Congress.
Well the issue with that is that IRS and the National Archives are controlled by the president and he ordered them not to.

That being said, the arguments here are transparent, bad faith bullshit and our courts are still operating under the assumption that the executive branch will not act in transparent bad faith which is, uh, clearly not the case.

Nov 17, 2019
Well the issue with that is that IRS and the National Archives are controlled by the president and he ordered them not to.
When Congress requests government documents, they should be delivered automatically. Most are digitized at least to some extent, so they could be delivered within hours.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
At a minimum legislation needs to be passed to expedite conflicts between the political branches because as Trump has shown here it is possible to run out the clock through bad faith abuse of the system designed only to delay until your term is up or your party takes a house of Congress.

Again, these disputes should be decided in a matter of weeks, not months.

Trump's ploy of running out the clock has managed to aggregate a very impressive list of lawsuits against him. I wonder how he's managing to run away from so many of them:

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump's ploy of running out the clock has managed to aggregate a very impressive list of lawsuits against him. I wonder how he's managing to run away from so many of them:

Lawyers on retainer with the instructions that delaying the lawsuit is their primary goal, not winning it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Appeals, appeals, appeals and more appeals. The unGreat Orange will be long dead and buried and Junior will still be filing appeals .....
He benefits greatly from the long slow process of American justice, while at the same time, trashes it verbally, on a regular basis.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
So at long last the DC Circuit has ruled that by the plain language of the statute of course Congress can get access to Trump's tax returns.

The fact that it took this long is an indictment of our system.

His go to strategy of throwing money at legal problems until his opponent runs out of cash and drops it or stops caring doesn't work quite as well with the government. But yeah, the fact that it's even possible to drag something out for this many years is crazy.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I really do hope I'm still around to see Trump and his kids in orange jumpsuits cleaning up trash along the highways or sweeping up street trash in front of Trump Tower and the whole length of Fifth Ave.

Reactions: Muse and Leeea

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Monday Oct 31st
Trump asks Supreme Court to stop IRS from turning over his tax returns to the House

CNN
Former President Donald Trump has asked the Supreme Court to put on hold the release of his tax returns by the Internal Revenue Service to a Democratic-led House committee.
Trump filed the emergency request on Monday with the high court after a federal appeals court cleared the way last week for the returns to be disclosed to the House Ways and Means Committee in the coming days.

Apparently, there is no limit to the number of rabbits Donald Trump can pull out of his magic hat. It amazes me. Trump always finds some way, some obscure little hidden law/rule/loophole to use against his being brought to justice. Shit.... Jesus never had it so good. The romans went after jesus and the romans won, whereas Donald Trump eludes and evades procession time after time. Endlessly.
If Jesus only had the lawyers that Donald Trump has, Jesus would never have hung on that cross.