Trump Sues Ways and Means and NY Officials to protect tax returns

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Analysis of Trump's taxes:

- the former president was “not so rich or smart” as he brags.
- he is just “a bad businessman who racked up huge losses,”

“He’s not such a rich man,” the board said. “His adjusted gross income was negative, mostly from a Net Operating Loss carryover of $105,157,825. He had to pay the IRS $707,123. No wonder the fraud didn’t want Americans to see.”

he lost 9 figures?!
was his dad worth 9 figures?
to be fair, the 9 figures as you have listed above is "merely" $105M. add a 10th figure, and now we're talking some buy-twitter-and-run-it-into-the-ground kind of money ;)

• Love
Reactions: Thump553 and dawp

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So the net story I’m getting from analysis of these returns is that…there is no smoking gun as far as crimes, tax evasion (no more than usual for this income bracket) or being compromised to foreign interests. We already knew about his inflating/deflating real estate asset valuation as it suited him.

Basically, DJT could’ve released all of his returns as President and this would’ve faded to a non-story, a nothing-burger. But he couldn’t stand to have people look at him from across the room knowing “lol, you lost all of daddy’s money”, or even worse, “I’m richer than you’ll ever be pal”—so that’s why he had to avoid releasing returns and pay all those attorney fees.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So the net story I’m getting from analysis of these returns is that…there is no smoking gun as far as crimes, tax evasion (no more than usual for this income bracket) or being compromised to foreign interests. We already knew about his inflating/deflating real estate asset valuation as it suited him.

Basically, DJT could’ve released all of his returns as President and this would’ve faded to a non-story, a nothing-burger. But he couldn’t stand to have people look at him from across the room knowing “lol, you lost all of daddy’s money”, or even worse, “I’m richer than you’ll ever be pal”—so that’s why he had to avoid releasing returns and pay all those attorney fees.

I'd agree, except you can't definitively state there's no evasion just based on the taxes themselves. I'd almost guarantee there is, but it would take a full (rather complicated I'm guessing) audit. Which will likely never happen.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I'd agree, except you can't definitively state there's no evasion just based on the taxes themselves. I'd almost guarantee there is, but it would take a full (rather complicated I'm guessing) audit. Which will likely never happen.
Yup that one 42,xxx investment that gave the identical profit and expense. Cooking the books? NEVER!!!

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there was some tax fraud. But you could argue that Occam's Razor applies here: Trump mainly wanted to keep the returns secret because they burst the myth that he wants to maintain.

He's not the strong businessman who 'deserves' to run the country; he's a frequent failure who relies on accounting tricks, legal obstruction and public image manipulation to appear more successful. The Dems don't have to bring up criminal activity to get under Trump's skin; they just have to point out that there are many wealthier tycoons whose businesses are consistently profitable.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
And add to that examples of potential foreign influence are likely hidden unter multiple shell orgs and would take a hell of a lot of work to untangle.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
interview with Steve Rosenthal of the Brookings tax policy center on the returns. he covers trumptydumpty's general approach to evading taxes through hiding gains in a pile of shell companies and under-reporting. also the irs is so understaffed that a single agent was assigned to audit his returns while in office and so overwhelmed by the byzantine structuring that they opted to assume his tax accountants were reporting correctly.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This is very different than what I’ve read, which is basically that to find smoking guns will be a time intensive affair as this is a maze of shell companies, etc.So basically to figure out what’s going on here you not only need the finances for Trump himself, you need the finances of the companies he’s doing business with, etc.

For example when Trump was caught committing criminal tax fraud by the NYT they had to tie together forms from Trump’s dad’s business to businesses his kids were the beneficiaries of, then you had to check individual transactions to catch the fraudulent markups.

I would bet large sums of money that multiple crimes are eventually uncovered by a real investigation into his taxes but that will take a long time. Certainly there are so many red flags in the returns already that the IRS should be devoting resources here.

Reactions: Fenixgoon