Trump signs stimulus executive actions: 1) +$400 for unemployment but States pick up 25%. 2) Suspend Medicare/Social Security withholding. 3)...

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
When will Trump's +$300 unemployment supplement start to reach the unemployed, if ever?

It's completely up to the individual States.
It is already "in process" on Arizona P.U.A. claims, for example.

Hooray, I guess?

Better than the $240.00/wk State Maximum at least.

But it is not from Trump...it is from leftover CARES Act funds already in State coffers.

That means it's actually from Chuck and Nancy et al..

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
oh.. it's optional?
employers dont have to not withhold?
they can still send the $ to the medicare/SS?
IIRC the president can't unilaterally suspend the Social Security payroll tax, that would require an act of Congress. What he did do was essentially instruct the IRS and other government agencies not to pursue penalties against those who choose not to withhold the proper amounts.

The money is still due, taxpayers will just owe it on their annual tax returns. This is why the unindicted co-conspirator has said that if you re-elect him he will work with Congress to ensure its never owed.

Employers may be skeptical about changing the withholding. It's questionable if the executive order is legal. If an employer doesn't withhold and remit they may face civil liability. Additionally, it may piss off employees who find themselves paying hundreds extra in April due to improper withholding during the year.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
oh.. it's optional?
employers dont have to not withhold?
they can still send the $ to the medicare/SS?
Yes, again the whole move simply delays when the tax must be paid. So they could stop withholding now but then you will both have a big future tax bill. It’s not actually saving anyone money.

Nov 8, 2012
IIRC the president can't unilaterally suspend the Social Security payroll tax, that would require an act of Congress. What he did do was essentially instruct the IRS and other government agencies not to pursue penalties against those who choose not to withhold the proper amounts.

The money is still due, taxpayers will just owe it on their annual tax returns. This is why the unindicted co-conspirator has said that if you re-elect him he will work with Congress to ensure its never owed.

Employers may be skeptical about changing the withholding. It's questionable if the executive order is legal. If an employer doesn't withhold and remit they may face civil liability. Additionally, it may piss off employees who find themselves paying hundreds extra in April due to improper withholding during the year.

My general point of view is that he is in charge of the EXECUTIVE branch. Hence, the executive action for taxation is the deciding factors of how to collect the tax.

Hence, he can decide something such as to not collect tax for a given year. That has no bearing on the actual tax owed (that is for congress to determine if the amount should be forgiven).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My general point of view is that he is in charge of the EXECUTIVE branch. Hence, the executive action for taxation is the deciding factors of how to collect the tax.

Hence, he can decide something such as to not collect tax for a given year. That has no bearing on the actual tax owed (that is for congress to determine if the amount should be forgiven).
Does that sound like he would be ensuring the laws are faithfully executed in that case?

Sounds like deciding to no longer collect taxes Congress has passed would be unconstitutional.

Nov 8, 2012
Does that sound like he would be ensuring the laws are faithfully executed in that case?

Sounds like deciding to no longer collect taxes Congress has passed would be unconstitutional.

Trump fully admitted himself that he can't stop the tax owed - indicating "If I'm re-elected then congress will forgive the tax amounts" (forget his exact words).

But yet, all within his bearing to determine that taxes are due at the end of the year instead of on a paycheck or quarterly basis..... Just like how I don't have taxes collected for capital gains until the end of the year, etc...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump fully admitted himself that he can't stop the tax owed - indicating "If I'm re-elected then congress will forgive the tax amounts" (forget his exact words).

But yet, all within his bearing to determine that taxes are due at the end of the year instead of on a paycheck or quarterly basis..... Just like how I don't have taxes collected for capital gains until the end of the year, etc...
It would depend on what the law says as to if he has that authority.

Regardless though, I agree that while he probably has some latitude in the particulars how how taxes are collected he still must collect them.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I reality Trump signed nothing!
He is actually playing for votes!
He knows his base is too stupid to understand that what he did was nothing!
My half brother texted me after Trump did all his signbing!
he said -- see Trump does care about us!!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Some states may opt to NOT get the +$300 Fed unemployment:

States have to come up with a new system to administer the +$300 since it's a "lost wages assistance" program that's separate from states' unemployment systems.

This means states will have to build out a new, parallel system to pay benefits. And, since the funding comes from a federal disaster-relief fund overseen by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, states must figure out how to route the aid from a source other than their typical unemployment trust funds.

The $300 benefit would only be available until Dec. 6, or until the $44 billion in federal funding allocated to the program runs out — whichever occurs first.

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates that the $44 billion would last about five weeks. :eek:

States may ultimately decide it's not worth the cost and effort to administer for only a few weeks' worth of money, Forsythe said.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Some states may opt to NOT get the +$300 Fed unemployment:

States have to come up with a new system to administer the +$300 since it's a "lost wages assistance" program that's separate from states' unemployment systems.

This means states will have to build out a new, parallel system to pay benefits. And, since the funding comes from a federal disaster-relief fund overseen by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, states must figure out how to route the aid from a source other than their typical unemployment trust funds.

The $300 benefit would only be available until Dec. 6, or until the $44 billion in federal funding allocated to the program runs out — whichever occurs first.

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates that the $44 billion would last about five weeks. :eek:

States may ultimately decide it's not worth the cost and effort to administer for only a few weeks' worth of money, Forsythe said.

Already happening in S Dakota-

Hail Trump. Get the fuck back to work.

Reactions: Pohemi

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
wow, so Bezos gained a whole Buffet in the last 5 months.

what the holy fuck is going on with humanity, where such a thing is possible?

Heads are going to be rolling soon, again. It's only natural, unfortunately.

Those numbers are derived from share price appreciation. It's not actual money unless they sell.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Those numbers are derived from share price appreciation. It's not actual money unless they sell.

it's still fairly absurd though.

one interesting perspective that i saw:

if you earned $1 every second of the day:

median wage (60k-ish) is 0.69 days (nice)
$1M is 11.5 days
$1B is 31.7 years

or for another interesting comparison, that $76B valuation increase equals 1.27 MILLION median-wage-years. so in a few months, jeff bezos' value just went up by the equivalent of what 1.2M median americans earn over an entire year.

that is straight up insanity.