News Trump signs COVID relief bill, finally

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
There are other search engines. Just saying ....

As much as I wish I could go without using anything Google makes or is behind, their search engine's really good shits. I HATE Bing, Yahoo has gone down the crapper. So what am I supposed to do, Ask Jeves?

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yeap, next time I'll Ask Jeves.

As much as I wish I could go without using anything Google makes or is behind, their search engine's really good shits. I HATE Bing, Yahoo has gone down the crapper. So what am I supposed to do, Ask Jeves?
Duckduckgo isn't perfect but it's not bad. If I don't find what I need then I google

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Interestingly in reading I learned that adults with disabilities that are listed as dependents get shafted too. Seems like these people (or their caregivers) need the money as much, if not more than, anyone.
A little late, but yes, they get shafted too. My GF won't be getting a thin dime.

Mar 11, 2004
Duckduckgo isn't perfect but it's not bad. If I don't find what I need then I google

I think there might even be search engines that will also search google (but they do it via their own made up accounts so its never actually tied to you personally).

Honestly I think the Google hate is misplaced as hell as they give you shitloads of control over your data, and you can absolutely request them to give you all of it that they have and/or that they delete it. I really think people's problem is coming to grips with how predictable or nothing special they really are, and the data just throws it back in their face. I haven't seen any evidence that Google has done the Facebook type of shit other than when it made sense to (i.e. have Google Assistant listen for keywords so that they can kinda preload things).

My beef with Google at this point is that all of their stuff other than search (and maybe Maps, but they'll probably fuck that up again before long) is still wonky as hell. They just killed Music to somehow roll it into YouTube service, but that's so half-baked that its not a replacement. And YouTube itself has plenty of issues (although Google has been trying to address them some; and a lot of the issues there are that people don't want to take any responsibility for their own behavior - i.e. you should be monitoring what your kids watch, you should know better than to just keep listening to political trash, you should be capable of not being a fucking idiot when it comes to vetting your news sources, etc.).

Nov 17, 2019
Took quite a while to let me in, then I had to submit the information twice. Finally told me 'the check is in the mail', so I guess we'll see.