Trump seeks to ax Appalachia economic programs, causing worry in coal country

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
you numb fuck, I live in flyover, why would I not care about it. It's the facist twatwaffles like you that lack empathy, compassion and reason.
Flyover land time and time again votes against its own interests. This has been well established. Poor rural people voting to get rid of the estate tax and things like that. Talk about lacking empathy, compassion, and reason for each other.

Feb 16, 2005
Flyover land time and time again votes against its own interests. This has been well established. Poor rural people voting to get rid of the estate tax and things like that. Talk about lacking empathy, compassion, and reason for each other.
I agree completely. I saw numerous drumpf yard signs before the election and zero hillary yard signs. I live in a very small rural town in western IL and while it's not impoverished, it sure ain't prospering either. To believe that drumpf was going to help them out takes a special kind of gullible. I'm not all that sure what hillary would have done anything to help rural america, but I sure as hell know she wouldn't be swinging the budget axe like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
I do believe that Bernie would have made the most concerted effort to help struggling towns, communities, etc, he really did have the little guy in mind. I'd like to see a few examples, say 5, of drumpf doing something for the lower middle class, the poor, etc.
And taking away meals, dismantling the public education system, killing the epa, none of those is beneficial to a guy making 30k - 60k a year, they're just going to be screwed over, yet again.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, you're right. Not as smart as Cali libs thinking Trumps kids killed dinosaurs.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016...t-believe-donald-trump-jr-killed-triceratops/

There are naive, ignorant, and stupid people in every state of every political party. But keep painting with that broad stroke. Likewise, I doubt every President has not gone back on something they said on the campaign trail. But nice to see so many people here with the enjoyment of possibly seeing other Americans suffer. Funny how they flip scrip when it goes their way. Shows who they really are.

Was that a scienific poll, or someone walking around talking to random people, and selectively showing the ones who gave idiotic answers? Like they do on late night talk shows.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
to be fair, Appalaichia is "drive-through" land, not flyover land. It takes like 5 minutes to fly over it. It's actually really close to where all of the east coast elites live, work and vacation, so none of those supermen are actually flying over it.

Granted, while I hate pulling heavy loads up mountains at 15-35mph, the Appalachians is one of my favorite places to drive to/through.

Except for those parts of Pennsylvania where it's an extra 100+ miles to go from I-76 to I-80 without passing through a small town that sits along an 8% downgrade, with tight turns that force you to drive ~20mph...

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
I care. But instead of propping up coal, an industry that's rightfully going away, we should be finding these people jobs in renewable energy, tech and other fields that have a viable long-term future.

And besides, this doesn't change the fact that Trump, your favorite leader, is the one hell-bent on cutting economic support programs like this. It's like complaining that firefighters aren't doing enough to prevent your house from burning down and promptly replacing them with a serial arsonist. You don't replace the imperfect with the known terrible and wonder why things suddenly got worse.

The problem is all those new jobs that are supposed to replace coal jobs went to china or H1B visa folks. So retraining is a moot point, they wont get those jobs.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
The problem is all those new jobs that are supposed to replace coal jobs went to china or H1B visa folks. So retraining is a moot point, they wont get those jobs.
Even if those jobs didn't go to China or H1B Visas, I highly doubt that a lot of jobs like that, would locate themselves in or within close proximity to Appalachia.

What I do see a lot of in these areas are tons of warehousing jobs available, since these places are popping up like weeds because space along the I-95 corridor is at somewhat of a premium, and a lot of Appalachia isn't too far away.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I agree completely. I saw numerous drumpf yard signs before the election and zero hillary yard signs. I live in a very small rural town in western IL and while it's not impoverished, it sure ain't prospering either. To believe that drumpf was going to help them out takes a special kind of gullible. I'm not all that sure what hillary would have done anything to help rural america, but I sure as hell know she wouldn't be swinging the budget axe like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
I do believe that Bernie would have made the most concerted effort to help struggling towns, communities, etc, he really did have the little guy in mind. I'd like to see a few examples, say 5, of drumpf doing something for the lower middle class, the poor, etc.
And taking away meals, dismantling the public education system, killing the epa, none of those is beneficial to a guy making 30k - 60k a year, they're just going to be screwed over, yet again.

Oh wow, what a coincidence! I used to fly over that town 2 to 3 times per year when taking my golden air chariot back and forth to San Francisco, back when I was living in Chicago! Now it's maybe only once per year, living in the DC area. :)

Feb 16, 2005
Oh wow, what a coincidence! I used to fly over that town 2 to 3 times per year when taking my golden air chariot back and forth to San Francisco, back when I was living in Chicago! Now it's maybe only once per year, living in the DC area. :)
Good chance you did, I am by the I-80 corridor.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I didn't know about the funding cut to rural airports. So the number of von Fuckstick voters who live in 'fly over country' gets dramatically bigger. :D

That is the funniest damn thing I've heard all day.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
This is the same con the GOP has been pulling on the low-information voters since the Civil Rights Act. The only thing new is how completely they've managed to win this time; the long game they've been playing for the last 50+ years has paid off.

We are dealing with fundamentally broken people here. The GOP decided to make its base "people who spell, or at least pronounce, 'black folks' with two Gs in it." The kind of people who would sentence their kids to a lifetime of lead-induced debility so long as the black families down the street had to suffer the same.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is the same con the GOP has been pulling on the low-information voters since the Civil Rights Act. The only thing new is how completely they've managed to win this time; the long game they've been playing for the last 50+ years has paid off.

We are dealing with fundamentally broken people here. The GOP decided to make its base "people who spell, or at least pronounce, 'black folks' with two Gs in it." The kind of people who would sentence their kids to a lifetime of lead-induced debility so long as the black families down the street had to suffer the same.

Demonize often?

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
That is not demonization; that is a fair description. It would be easier to demonize, because then I wouldn't have to put up with the shame of being the same species as these people, but no--they are as human as I am.