Trump seeks to ax Appalachia economic programs, causing worry in coal country

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
There are a few items on the block that look like they will cause some concern for the regions that voted for the guy.

Obama and those god-awful liberals spent the first 9 months of his term trying to get healthcare for millions of people. The republicans and Trump are passing legislation to destroy the planet and make life a whole lot worse for poor people. Way to go christians!!

EH

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hey, while I do think many of these people didn't realize what they were voting for, I do sympathize with them. They didn't understand that, when Trump said he would protect coal, he meant the companies and not the employees.

And besides, the upshot is that Trump seems hell-bent on alienating enough people that the Democrats will stand a realistic chance of regaining some power in 2018, even in heavily gerrymandered areas. The problem with naked greed is that everyone can see it, even the people who normally turn a blind eye to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebobo

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Hey, while I do think many of these people didn't realize what they were voting for, I do sympathize with them. They didn't understand that, when Trump said he would protect coal, he meant the companies and not the employees.

And besides, the upshot is that Trump seems hell-bent on alienating enough people that the Democrats will stand a realistic chance of regaining some power in 2018, even in heavily gerrymandered areas. The problem with naked greed is that everyone can see it, even the people who normally turn a blind eye to it.

That's some mighty fine wishful thinking!

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's some mighty fine wishful thinking!

Maybe so, but it does seem like many Trump supporters only heard the superficial messages and didn't realize just how rapacious and uncaring he really is. Oh, you thought that he was going to bring your job back, and that he'd make sure your health care was affordable? No, sorry, he was thinking of his guests at Mar-a-Lago. The disappointments just keep piling up, and we're barely two months in.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
thse people didnt even know the aca was obama care. They are literally too stupid for the modern world.

Yeah, you're right. Not as smart as Cali libs thinking Trumps kids killed dinosaurs.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016...t-believe-donald-trump-jr-killed-triceratops/

There are naive, ignorant, and stupid people in every state of every political party. But keep painting with that broad stroke. Likewise, I doubt every President has not gone back on something they said on the campaign trail. But nice to see so many people here with the enjoyment of possibly seeing other Americans suffer. Funny how they flip scrip when it goes their way. Shows who they really are.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is what happens when you vote for a fake populist who immediately turns everything over to conservative and libertarian policy people.

It is kind of amazing to me that people are shocked that the person with a personal history a mile long where he cons people by promising the moon and then turning on them has conned them by promising the moon and then turning on them.

Reactions: Ns1 and DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It is kind of amazing to me that people are shocked that the person with a personal history a mile long where he cons people by promising the moon and then turning on them has conned them by promising the moon and then turning on them.

He successfully connected with them on an emotional level, like any good salesman would. The only question at this point is when do those same people realize they've been had. It won't be all at once since the emotional investment some people appear to have in him is almost religious.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Because Hillary told them coal was dead.

That's something that I think struck more at the self-perceived identity of the people more than the actual economic situation. In the one on one interviews I've read out of Appalachia most people seem to concede that coal is never going to be like it was, even if it survives at all.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
They are also some of the most intense anti-abortion people in the country. They will sit on that one issue while 100 others that directly impact them will be ignored.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Yeah, you're right. Not as smart as Cali libs thinking Trumps kids killed dinosaurs.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016...t-believe-donald-trump-jr-killed-triceratops/

There are naive, ignorant, and stupid people in every state of every political party. But keep painting with that broad stroke. Likewise, I doubt every President has not gone back on something they said on the campaign trail. But nice to see so many people here with the enjoyment of possibly seeing other Americans suffer. Funny how they flip scrip when it goes their way. Shows who they really are.

Not the smartest thing to bring up given something like a third of americans believe their ancestors walked with dinos and whatnot a few thousand years ago, and I'm pretty sure not many are liberal. Also pretty sure you can work the numbers there for your peers, which rather explains Trump & such.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I think Trump has a fetish for screwing people who are stupid enough to fall for his shtick. I mean this is not a coincidence, he went out of his way to single out great lakes and coal country programs for cuts in his budget. Plus his healthcare plan screws the very people who voted for him and gives money to liberal elites in tax cuts.