Trump says privately he will leave Paris climate agreement, and does!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And there are about 100 more to consider as directed in the constitution.

So you do not agree that the constitution says that making treaties requires the concurrence of two thirds of the Senate?

This isn't a treaty. It's an agreement and Presidents have been doing this for just about forever. If it were legally binding then the Senate would need to approve. Since it is not the point is moot.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Absolutely not. Executive agreements like this have been entered into since the founding of the country, including many of the people who wrote the Constitution. Are you saying they were violating the document they wrote?

So you do not agree that the constitution says that making treaties requires the concurrence of two thirds of the Senate?

I'm saying that this didn't meet the standard for a treaty as it existed solely within the scope of the president's authority and required no action from another branch. This sort of agreement has been happening for multiple centuries and are currently party to dozens or hundreds of similar agreements originally created by presidents of both parties.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_agreement

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Why should the US get to subsidize polluter countries to continue polluting? A wealth transfer disguised as a nonbinding and ineffective pile of crap. The only thing the Paris Accord was going to do was cause the US to send $$$ to other countries that would not reduce their pollution.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Why should the US get to subsidize polluter countries to continue polluting? A wealth transfer disguised as a nonbinding and ineffective pile of crap. The only thing the Paris Accord was going to do was cause the US to send $$$ to other countries that would not reduce their pollution.

You don't even understand what it actually was. What twisted and demented location did you have this information defecated into your mind at ?

Reactions: ivwshane

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Your source for this is?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Sure it does. It doesn't say that a treaty is the only form of international agreement which can be entered into. A POTUS can enter into any kind of international agreement besides a treaty if either a) a statute requires or explicitly permits him to do so, or 2) he is exercising his powers and duties as delegated to him by the Constitution, such as his power to represent the United States in foreign affairs, or his power as commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

This has been long settled, since all the way back at the beginning, and is not debated by...pretty much anyone. But hey, you're entitled to have your own issue with it now in 2017. You won't get anywhere with it, but argue away.

If you're wondering what the difference is between a treaty and an international agreement besides how they are adopted, the most important distinction is that a POTUS probably can't unilaterally pull out of a treaty like Trump just did with the Paris accord. Had it been a treaty, he likely would have needed Congressional consent to pull out. Had Obama been able to ratify this as a treaty - if he had the votes he needed - I'm sure he would have done so, because it would have made it very difficult for a successor in office to do away with it.

Last edited:

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
you are seriously fucked in the head. it must truly suck to be you if you think what drumpf is doing is 'winning' in any sense of morality or for the common good.

Don't you have any original lines or is this the only way your respond to differing opinions on the net?

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
Cry more, seriously.

I'm a happy guy tonight. Trump did what the voters elected him to do. Why should we give money to other countries to help build renewable energy? Why is that something I have to fund?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's a bet I'm willing to live with.

The rest of us have looked at the evidence and aren't. You might be content to throw your money and other people's lives away but you can't reasonably expect others to be so foolish.

You pay some now or a lot more later. Let's be smart about this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm a happy guy tonight. Trump did what the voters elected him to do. Why should we give money to other countries to help build renewable energy? Why is that something I have to fund?

The voters overwhelmingly oppose this action so no, that's not what they elected him to do. How can you not know these basic facts?

Now you're moving past hypocritical double standards involving Trump and are instead just making up lies to make him look better. This is increasingly pathetic. Don't you have any dignity?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The rest of us have looked at the evidence and aren't. You might be content to throw your money and other people's lives away but you can't reasonably expect others to be so foolish.

You pay some now or a lot more later. Let's be smart about this.

The thing is, we're not necessarily "paying" for it, not in the way or to the extent that we used to assume. When Obama made his much maligned remark about "skyrocketing energy costs" that was back in 2008 when clean energy was much less efficient and much more expensive than it is today. Also, the renewables industry is growing and currently employs far more people than coal. Pushing clean energy means more jobs, which means a higher tax base, which in turn either means more government services or lower tax rates. Clinging to coal is just stupid policy, not just from an environmental standpoint, but from an economic standpoint. When transitioning to new industries and technologies, there will always be winners and losers, but on balance, it looks like we have more to gain than lose from a pure $$ standpoint by moving forward with clean energy.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014

Because we haven't slapped a dome over the cesspit you call home yet. You live in the world. You are invested in the world remaining stable. The most cost-effective investments to be made in preserving the world in a state that's suitable to living in are not in the richest country on earth.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The thing is, we're not necessarily "paying" for it, not in the way or to the extent that we used to assume. When Obama made his famous remark about "skyrocketing energy costs" that was back in 2008 when clean energy was much less efficient and much more expensive than it is today. Also, the renewables industry is growing and currently employs far more people than coal. Pushing clean energy means more jobs, which means a higher tax base, which in turn either means more government services or lower tax rates. Clinging to coal is just stupid policy, not just from an environmental standpoint, but from an economic standpoint.

While I generally agree with you that this is smart economic policy let's not pretend that shifting the entire world's energy production process from one technology to another doesn't have costs. It's a no-brainer because it has to be done and if something has to be done it's better to be the one doing it than a spectator but it's not a free lunch.

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
The voters overwhelmingly oppose this action so no, that's not what they elected him to do. How can you not know these basic facts?

Now you're moving past hypocritical double standards involving Trump and are instead just making up lies to make him look better. This is increasingly pathetic. Don't you have any dignity?

The voters elected Trump. Trump was very clear that he was going to get out of this accord. If he did otherwise you'd be saying what a liar he is and how he can't keep his word.

You lost the election. This is what happens. Deal with it

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
Because we haven't slapped a dome over the cesspit you call home yet. You live in the world. You are invested in the world remaining stable. The most cost-effective investments to be made in preserving the world in a state that's suitable to living in are not in the richest country on earth.

There's no dome over the other 190 countries either. Why do we have to bear the burden of funding this?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
There's no dome over the other 190 countries either. Why do we have to bear the burden of funding this?

You don't even know what the fuck you are talking about.

I cannot stand your piece of shit generation. The worst human beings on this planet.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
While I generally agree with you that this is smart economic policy let's not pretend that shifting the entire world's energy production process from one technology to another doesn't have costs. It's a no-brainer because it has to be done and if something has to be done it's better to be the one doing it than a spectator but it's not a free lunch.

It's not a free lunch. So, for example when you raise CAFE standards, it tends to increase the price of automobiles. There are also other undesirable effects. Like I said, there are pluses and minuses. But renewables are an emerging industry with lots of potential jobs. Leading in this area is going to benefit our economy on the whole. Those who lag are the ones who will really pay the economic price. Eventually, we're going to have to make widespread use of things like solar panels, and we're way better off manufacturing them here and buying from US vendors than buying them from China because their government subsidized the industry while we were still stuck on coal.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
I think we have proven 1 thing beyond doubt today.

Trump voters are the people who love pissing on themselves and never showering and Trump is taking America back to when this was the norm. Why should they change?

Obama tried being nice and giving them healthcare and a cleaner planet but they are from the past and want to stay there.

So go ahead piss and shit all over yourselfs all you want.

The only thing that will happen is the next time democrats will only care about their own and say why should our tax dollars go for some red neck dying of cancer? Fuck that ho, let her die and just put healthcare as mandatory for all in some states which will have the best health in the country.

We really are not a country anymore.. we're 50 countries who don't agree on anything besides a common defense. Its time we even ended that and had our own armies and immigration policies.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The voters elected Trump. Trump was very clear that he was going to get out of this accord. If he did otherwise you'd be saying what a liar he is and how he can't keep his word.

This isn't about me, stop trying to divert from uncomfortable facts. The data on this is absolutely clear, the voters overwhelmingly oppose this action. Saying the voters elected him to do something that they don't want him to do is irrational and you know it.

Just admit that this action of his was against the wishes of the American people. Tons of polls show this. It's not hard to admit reality and frankly you'll feel better when you no longer have to keep lying like this.

You lost the election. This is what happens. Deal with it

You seem to have a weird fixation on the election. Why do you care about it anymore? You need to move on as it's in the past.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Recent polling shows that 70% of the voters wanted to stay in the accords, and you still don't understand economics, but carry on..

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
But Trump loves coal, he is going to bring those coal jobs back!
If only we still burned wood for energy, then America would really be great again!

Advanced energy technologies will determine who will be the next world superpower, but Trump voters believe this just made them wealthier. Barnum was an optimist.