Trump replaces VA's Shulkin with his own doctor Ronny Jackson

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The wiki page doesn't mention anything much bigger than a platoon or being head of the white house medical staff. Don't imagine that is a big operation.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=953

his subsequent operational assignments included, instructor at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City, Florida; det. officer in charge and diving medical officer at Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 8 in Sigonella, Italy; and diving safety officer at the Naval Safety Center in Norfolk.
Of course there is an issue here, it's called Trump, since Trump has burned up much of his political capital anything he does or says is automatically going to be questioned, that is Trumps greatest flaw as president, he doesn't seem to get that he isn't the boss at some private company that can fire or hire at his pleasure but a politician that needs to build bridges in order to accomplish things, not burn them down.

If Hillary won and put this guy in charge the republicans would be questioning his qualifications since their most hated President, Obama, made him Physician to the President.

I suspect you are correct.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=953

his subsequent operational assignments included, instructor at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City, Florida; det. officer in charge and diving medical officer at Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 8 in Sigonella, Italy; and diving safety officer at the Naval Safety Center in Norfolk.

I suspect you are correct.
I think regardless of whether trump or hillary selected him, his qualifications would be questioned. He has basically no qualification other than getting through residency and deciding to work with the whitehouse and putting his lips in close proximity to trump's butthole. I read his bio. Its not at all suggestive of someone ready to run a large health care organization.

He basically got through a non-academic, uncompetitive emergency medicine residency. Also there are no grades or rankings so I don't know what they mean by top of his class. That seems like a little bit of self flattery on his bio page. He served in the military as a doc and then the white house and also does some teaching as an adjunct visiting professor at a couple of academic EM residency programs. Its also odd to me the white house physician is an emergency medicine doctor. What?! That's about as strange as Dr Oz (a cardiothoracic surgeon) giving people telling people to take akai berries to cleanse their colons. If you want to put his career in a nutshell it goes like this: he did the navel EM program because he had to, then served in the military, did ok, became the white house doc [pay is crap remember] and because of it was invited to be an adjunct professor at a couple of teaching programs.

Compare this guy to say David Shulkin who just got fired.
https://www.va.gov/opa/bios/docs/shulkin.pdf
Shulkin was CMO of UPenn (a massive and prestigious healthcare organization), and CMO of temple. He was also Chairman of medicine and Vice Dean at drexel (both admin positions for teaching and academics. Then he was CEO of the BI Medical center in New York and CEO of Morristown medicine center. That's not even getting into his other accomplishments in healthcare leadership including full professorships at various institutions.

So basically one guy is maybe a competent general physician, a good EM doctor and has some teaching experience. And the other guy has successfully run multiple large prestigious healthcare organizations and left that kickass money to go try and improve the VA.

Can we put this discussion to bed please?

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What? Youre making a case a rear admiral does not manage a lot of people? Really?
You don't get that a medical career in the service is not like a typical career in service. They get to be doctors, and if they have the aptitude will go on to lead a medical battalion or such. I think since he's a rear admiral you assume he has to have a lot of people under his command. No, they just need to get him to that rank (pay) to keep him interested in staying in the military vice making a killing outside of a military career.

Edit: Trump can pick whoever he wants, which is obvious by the idiots he's got in cabinet positions that are eagerly detroying the departments they been appointed to destroy. This is actually one of his better picks.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Former VA secretary isn't going quietly.
he's waging a scorched earth campaign vs Trump via TV interviews and newspaper editorials. :eek:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/politics/david-shulkin-media-blitz/index.html
Yea, I've seen them. He's spent way to many years being a pol. Not that I disagree with him but he almost seems Carter Page like. On one hand he claims he has all these political appointees sabotaging his efforts but would never directly attribute it to Trump. What? Is he looking to get his job back? He just seems a bit odd.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yea, I've seen them. He's spent way to many years being a pol. Not that I disagree with him but he almost seems Carter Page like. On one hand he claims he has all these political appointees sabotaging his efforts but would never directly attribute it to Trump. What? Is he looking to get his job back? He just seems a bit odd.
He did say he went to Trump for help in dealing with these political appointees and the answer was "just get the job done"

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Should a group that voted Republican by a wide margin have government health care? Seems like the private sector they love so much should take care of them.

Jan 25, 2011
What did Shulkin do that was so much worse then Pruitt, Carson, Mnuchen??
Pruitt might finally be done with the latest news. Apparently he's renting a house from energy lobbyists well below market value in DC. This guys corruption sticks out like a sore thumb in this admin and that's saying something with how corrupt these fuckers are.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I didn't expect that, other than lack of running an organization he looked pretty clean on the surface. Trump does only pick the best.

He said Trump was in great health and mentally fit.....

Both seem very questionable conclusions.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You just can't make this stuff up and Trump is at it again shoehorning in another one of his own into a public office. David Shulkin is out being replaced by Trump's personal physician Ronny Jackson. I can hardly wait for this new circus to begin.:p

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/28/politics/shulkin-va-jackson/index.html

This will come off as cold. But at this point does it really matter who runs the VA? Regardless of who runs the VA it has had serious issues for decades. And nobody really wants to fix it. It is a sad and embarrassing situation for the country.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Would definitely be qualifying habits to work for a guy like Trump. "Rules, what rules?"

By the way, this pretty-well paints a proper picture of the type of quack that would qualify a visibly observable obese penguin as an inch taller and some 90lbs lighter than he certainly is.

Lying and total lack of professional ethics, just to aggrandize the Trump. It's the only fucking thing that qualifies anyone to work for Trump.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This will come off as cold. But at this point does it really matter who runs the VA? Regardless of who runs the VA it has had serious issues for decades. And nobody really wants to fix it. It is a sad and embarrassing situation for the country.

In a word, yes. The VA does have some problems, but it is at least functional. It serves millions of veterans a year, many of whom depend on it. So, it would be nice not to saddle it with someone who will handicap it even more.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Allegations or not, there has not been a *single* bit of negative press from any administration about this guy. He has been universally praised as a genuinely decent person and well liked. He is just laughably unprepared for a role of this size. It sucks that the process of this and just simply being associated with Trump has left another corpse of a career government employee tossed onto the pile.

Reactions: IJTSSG

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Allegations or not, there has not been a *single* bit of negative press from any administration about this guy. He has been universally praised as a genuinely decent person and well liked. He is just laughably unprepared for a role of this size. It sucks that the process of this and just simply being associated with Trump has left another corpse of a career government employee tossed onto the pile.
This is what happens when the decision to pick someone for a very intense and complicated job is based on getting an obviously hyperboled glowing medical report.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Don't get me wrong, on a scale of qualifications from 1-10, ten being the highest he's like a 0.5.
But he has been working with three different administrations of which none of this history was ever an issue or simply never existed. He's just another Icarus that got too close to the sun now. Had he just said "no" or someone within Trumps circle told him not to nominate him and actually stuck to their guns there'd be one less body under the bus of this administration.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
As a compensable DV I believe it does matter who heads the VA or any department for that matter. Perceived leadership influences the chain of command and if the rank and file don't respect the head it will ultimately be reflected in their own work. I want to see our VA card authorized for use just like any other insurance card so that when we need medical care we can get it whether or not the VA OPC is open.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This whole thing is bonkers.
So Trump nominates him completely and totally out of the blue.
He appears to accept.
The appointment is universally panned.
These allegations come out.
Trump says in an interview today that he told Ronny "Why would even want this? Who would want this?"

Ummm.......wouldn't this stuff be discussed before offering an appointment?