Trump replaces VA's Shulkin with his own doctor Ronny Jackson

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Even though Jackson has withdrawn himself from consideration the bad news continues to pour out about him.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Yet, another unfortunate person that got involved with the Donald, and has been left with there reputation in tatters. Vetting is to protect the candidate as much and the person selecting the candidate. Vetting seems to be a mystery to the man.
This.
Everyone knows entering politics means exposing pretty much everything about yourself to the public. Nothing is off limits. Therefore if you're going to accept such a nomination, you better be prepared on all fronts. I myself frequently think about running for public office but every time quickly say 'Fudge that" because I don't want to put me and my family through the political equivalent of an unsedated colonoscopy for an underpaid, high stress, thankless job with thousands of bad bosses.

The blame for this disaster falls purely on Trump for nominating a guy who was underqualified and clearly had issues and Jackson for accepting the nomination knowing he was underqualified and likely had skeletons in the closet that would come out.

Jan 25, 2011
Lol tell us again how this was a Dem railroading of Jackson Mr. Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/politics/karen-pence-doctor-privacy-ronny-jackson/index.html

Vice President Mike Pence's physician privately raised alarms within the White House last fall that President Donald Trump's doctor may have violated federal privacy protections for a key patient -- Pence's wife, Karen -- and intimidated the vice president's doctor during angry confrontations over the episode.

The previously unreported incident is the first sign that serious concerns about Ronny Jackson's conduct had reached the highest levels of the White House as far back as September -- months before White House aides furiously defended Jackson's professionalism, insisted he had been thoroughly vetted and argued allegations of misconduct amounted to unsubstantiated rumors.

The episode -- detailed in three memos by Pence's physician -- is also the first documentation that has surfaced involving a specific allegation of medical misconduct by Jackson. It adds to a series of significant allegations leveled by unidentified current and former colleagues, including that he casually dispensed prescription drugs.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Vice President Mike Pence's physician privately raised alarms within the White House last fall that President Donald Trump's doctor may have violated federal privacy protections for a key patient -- Pence's wife, Karen -- and intimidated the vice president's doctor during angry confrontations over the episode.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/politics/karen-pence-doctor-privacy-ronny-jackson/index.html

And now Pence's doctor who raised the alarm about Jackson has "resigned" from the White House Medical Unit.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/04/politics/jennifer-pena-doctor-resigns/index.html

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
guess who wrote a book
pretty long read, not far in, just started reading

Having seen all of these people parodied relentlessly over the past several weeks on Saturday Night Live, I couldn’t help thinking that I’d stepped into a skit with Alec Baldwin and Kate McKinnon. As the tension increased, Priebus leaned over to me and whispered, “Dr. Shulkin, we need to resolve this. Would you mind stepping out for 10 minutes?” I rose from my chair, but Trump swatted me back down.

“Well, there are many reasons, starting with — ”

“I think we need to let the veterans go wherever they want.”

“Well, there needs to be a coordinated effort — ”

“I’ll tell you what: we’re going to fix this thing. If you were in charge, what would you do first?”

“I would make sure that we had — ”

“Do you think we can fix this thing?”

“Yes, Mr. President-Elect, I do.”

We went on like this for another 30 minutes or so while the others wandered in and out. Finally, Trump turned to Priebus, Bannon and Cohen and asked, “So what do you guys think?”

Heads nodded in approval.

Then the president-elect turned to Cohen and said, “Next time you see him, you can call him Mr. Secretary.”

Confused, I stood, shook Trump’s hand and left the office.

I took the long elevator ride down to the Trump Tower lobby, where I was met by a barrage of camera flashes and bright lights from TV crews. Reporters shouted, “Dr. Shulkin! Did you meet with Donald Trump? Dr. Shulkin, who’ll run the VA?”

I had no idea, mostly because I had no idea what had just happened

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
guess who wrote a book
pretty long read, not far in, just started reading

Thanks for this. I think it underscores the principal task of the next administration is to restore an orderly system of government administration independent of policy.

It also shows how to rise to prominence under Trump. Be someone with a background of prominence/power/influence (regardless of controversy) and pander to whatever singular myopic media impression or story Trump has heard that drives all of his perceptions of something. A well-balanced civil servant is not likely to get the prominence Trump acknowledges because they focus on their job rather than self-advancement, is not likely to stay sane in the toxic leadership environment he creates, and is just a target to be blamed when anything doesn't go the way of Trump's fantasy as they argue for a moderated point of view and realistic expectations. Of course, no one would really prefer to work in that environment. So all you get left are people who intend to use the office for personal gain.

Reactions: Thebobo