Trump prepares to rally in Tulsa...

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Wiki says the series was produced from 1930 to 1969. I hadn't realized that it was produced that far back, so thanks for the fact check.

The golden age for Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes was the 40s and 50s when they were produced as filler for cinemas. Anything outside of that rarely ranks high at all.

All the best episodes that Boomers and Gen Z grew up with are from that era. Everything from the later 50s and 60s was crap intended for children. The material is markedly less funny. The earlier stuff from the 30s is OK, but hadn't matured yet.

Reactions: soundforbjt

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The golden age for Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes was the 40s and 50s when they were produced as filler for cinemas. Anything outside of that rarely ranks high at all.

All the best episodes that Boomers and Gen Z grew up with are from that era. Everything from the later 50s and 60s was crap intended for children. The material is markedly less funny. The earlier stuff from the 30s is OK, but hadn't matured yet.
Don't forget Merry Melodies come on Screwy Squirrel.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I found the Bugs and Daffy cartoons to be hilarious, as a child. If they are produced for adults, why do children find them funny? I think with a lot of cartoons they are made for children as a prime audience, but the writers include jokes that only adults tend to get.

Anything is funny to a kid. So it's a low bar. Just have funny animals doing looney stuff is enough.

But the jokes are more adult in the early Looney Tunes and when you watch them today, you realize what you didn't get as a kid.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Anything is funny to a kid. So it's a low bar. Just have funny animals doing looney stuff is enough.

But the jokes are more adult in the early Looney Tunes and when you watch them today, you realize what you didn't get as a kid.

Perhaps, but I disliked certain cartoons, and those particular cartoons were by far the funniest to me. Perhaps I just "got" the more adult oriented humor earlier than some kids. I'll just stick with that narrative.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Hmm. I remember loving the Looney Tunes stuff as a kid and no doubt by virtue of their appearance between features in the cinema.

So, a few years ago I bought two 4-disc sets of Looney Tunes. But I haven't opened the 2nd set because I was disappointed in what I was seeing in the first set. So, I just dusted them off and looking at the packaging I'm seeing nothing to identify when they were created, just boilerplate about them being vintage, restored, blah blah:

Looney Tunes Golden Collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume Two

Guess I'll have to dig deeper and see if this is the dreaded made-for-kiddies stuff or maybe there's some of the cool made for adults stuff.

Edit: Ah, the Volume Two collection has this...

Volume one isn't broken down in a chart, but it says it contains a lot of stuff from the 50's and some from the 40's:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yuck. For curiosity sake, I looked up the origin of the actual word "moron." It came from the eugenicist Henry Goddard. They evidently were already using the word "idiot" to describe those with a mental age of 2, and "imbecile" for those with a mental age of 3-7. But Goddard thought that those with a mental age of 8-12 were the dangerous ones, because they could pass as "normal" and might be allowed to reproduce. So he adapted the Greek word "moronia" meaning foolish as the English word "moron."

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Hmm. I remember loving the Looney Tunes stuff as a kid and no doubt by virtue of their appearance between features in the cinema.

So, a few years ago I bought two 4-disc sets of Looney Tunes. But I haven't opened the 2nd set because I was disappointed in what I was seeing in the first set. So, I just dusted them off and looking at the packaging I'm seeing nothing to identify when they were created, just boilerplate about them being vintage, restored, blah blah:

Looney Tunes Golden Collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume Two

Guess I'll have to dig deeper and see if this is the dreaded made-for-kiddies stuff or maybe there's some of the cool made for adults stuff.

Edit: Ah, the Volume Two collection has this...

Volume one isn't broken down in a chart, but it says it contains a lot of stuff from the 50's and some from the 40's:

Hands down the funniest is "Rabbit Seasoning." That one is in the first Golden collection.

But yep, that's the golden age. 40s and 50s.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Having had a mentally handicapped brother. I found that the term actually relate to levels of IQ.

Yes it does. The aforementioned eugenicist was a proponent of IQ testing, and the "mental age" I refer to in my post was an early 20th century metric derived from the results of IQ tests of the age. Indeed, virtually all the early developers and promoters of IQ tests were eugenicists.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Back to the thread. I just saw a picture of the Governor of OK with Inhofe about 6 ft behind him. Things could have been worse. Wonder what would have happened if he got COVID and ended up a statistic.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Herman Cain, who attended the Tulsa rally has tested positive and been hospitalized...

And died. The 9-9-9-Covid-19 plan. He touted probably the worst way to propose to run the federal government: like a fast food advertisement. No intelligence or thought needed for policy, just make it sound good in a TV ad.

Reactions: Muse