Trump orders media blackout at EPA

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There is already legitimate concern that Trump will start doing what he falsely accused Obama of and start cooking the unemployment numbers. This guy is going to erode the public confidence in our government in almost every respect.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/24/new...-unemployment-bls/index.html?category=economy

Post-truth with a vengeance. It's the standard MO of all bullshit artists to make the truth unknowable & therefore get people to believe in them.

"I am your voice. Only I can fix it."

As if his definition of what's broken has anything to do with reality.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So in your view, the people in need of introspection, the ones "lashing out" are the ones opposing Trump?

That's astounding.

It would be astounding if what you mentioned correctly represented my sentiment.

First note where we are, an overwhelming anti-Trump site and that I am against Trump. My posts on the matter stand for themselves.
Consequently talking to Trump supporters about the consequences of their actions is moot.

That said, the people who voted for Trump should examine why they decided as they did, but few of them pretended to be high minded people. Years ago many on the left did aspire to an inclusive society but that did not mean lying down. MLK is a good example here. No more though. It's about personal insult and getting even, so yes there is need for self examination.

I'll use you as an example with the Nazi statement. You know that the answer to the Nazi's was to kill them. Don't sugar coat it or retreat to how they are marginalized by modern society as a whole.

You kill them. But there are those who feel I supported Trump by not voting for Hillary. That I didn't vote for Trump either means nothing. By being a "supporter" and you picking Nazi's and how to eliminate them I ought to be on the death list.

Perhaps you didn't literally mean that, and that's my assumption, but from this point on your most honest course of action is to dispense with ideals that you don't really represent and embrace the hatred around you. "Those" people are rabid animals to be put down, but we "beasts", the non-Hillary supporters might have sharper fangs and claws than you are prepared for.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
haha, citing fake news outlet as a source of "legitimate concern" :D Good one!

So now CNN is fake news? Do you know what fake news is?

This is going to be a tall order for you to find real evidence to disparage them in this way.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I'll use you as an example with the Nazi statement. You know that the answer to the Nazi's was to kill them. Don't sugar coat it or retreat to how they are marginalized by modern society as a whole.

No, that's false. Some Nazis were killed after a trial, yes, but the rest were not killed. My point was that the tactics that work in democratic societies: peaceful protest for example, seem to be failing here. Germany is still dealing with the Nazis, and if want to see what I mean, look what happens when someone does a Nazi salute over there. No, they are not killed, but they get much more than a finger wagging.

You kill them. But there are those who feel I supported Trump by not voting for Hillary. That I didn't vote for Trump either means nothing. By being a "supporter" and you picking Nazi's and how to eliminate them I ought to be on the death list.

Perhaps you didn't literally mean that, and that's my assumption, but from this point on your most honest course of action is to dispense with ideals that you don't really represent and embrace the hatred around you. "Those" people are rabid animals to be put down, but we "beasts", the non-Hillary supporters might have sharper fangs and claws than you are prepared for.

And you have numerous posts suggesting that because I asked what to do when the protests aren't working anymore, and pointing out that we didn't beat Naziism by loving Nazis, I was suggesting violence against you and anyone that didn't vote for Clinton. I guess I'm going to be killing my brother too, since he told me in October that he wasn't voting for Clinton?

What Dank and I, and a few others on this board have been saying consistently, is that Trump's base, his VOCAL FUCKING SUPPORTERS are hateful pricks that shouldn't be coddled anymore.

You want to take that and interpret it to mean anyone that doesn't share my exact views, I don't give a shit. That's you.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
No, that's false. Some Nazis were killed after a trial, yes, but the rest were not killed. My point was that the tactics that work in democratic societies: peaceful protest for example, seem to be failing here. Germany is still dealing with the Nazis, and if want to see what I mean, look what happens when someone does a Nazi salute over there. No, they are not killed, but they get much more than a finger wagging.

And you have numerous posts suggesting that because I asked what to do when the protests aren't working anymore, and pointing out that we didn't beat Naziism by loving Nazis, I was suggesting violence against you and anyone that didn't vote for Clinton. I guess I'm going to be killing my brother too, since he told me in October that he wasn't voting for Clinton?

What Dank and I, and a few others on this board have been saying consistently, is that Trump's base, his VOCAL FUCKING SUPPORTERS are hateful pricks that shouldn't be coddled anymore.

You want to take that and interpret it to mean anyone that doesn't share my exact views, I don't give a shit. That's you.

Well that's nice I guess, but I personally got the "you are a conservative and all conservatives are alike" nonsense. I have no problem with civil disobedience when appropriate. Another Baltimore or Ferguson? Nope.

Might want to consider not going to Godwin straight off. If you brother had voted for Trump for any reason whatsoever, would he be a Nazi? People who felt there was no voice so picked him? Sure I intensely dislike people voting for Trump for things like punishing innocent family members who happen to have a terrorist born among them.

So what's the criteria here? Is everyone alike? Who is fair game for hate and retribution? There's likely to be some of the latter.

Who is the Nazi and who is not?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Paranoid control freak in charge of the nuclear codes. Lovely. At least Richard Nixon had a brain.

This is what I am starting to be more worried about than the EPA stuff. For the first time in decades, there is a legit chance of civilization ending in the next four years in a nuclear conflagration. When they come (and they will come) to forcibly remove this lunatic from office will he unleash hell? I believe Trump to be completely and utterly insane. How long before we have parades where Trump displays America's nuclear arms to the world, how long before he begins imprisoning members of the news media, etc...

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Well that's nice I guess, but I personally got the "you are a conservative and all conservatives are alike" nonsense.

Can you quote what I said that gave you that vibe? I'm genuinely curious.

I have no problem with civil disobedience when appropriate. Another Baltimore or Ferguson? Nope.

Yeah, a lot of conservatives have more of a problem with a few broken windows and bloody noses than they do with systemic oppression by the police and social policy. But you'll be happy to know that while I think such views are awful, I don't think they make you a Nazi, or think you should be killed for them.

Might want to consider not going to Godwin straight off. If you brother had voted for Trump for any reason whatsoever, would he be a Nazi? People who felt there was no voice so picked him? Sure I intensely dislike people voting for Trump for things like punishing innocent family members who happen to have a terrorist born among them.

So what's the criteria here? Is everyone alike? Who is fair game for hate and retribution? There's likely to be some of the latter.

Who is the Nazi and who is not?

I don't know, I don't think every last person that voted for Trump is a Nazi, and I've already said that. What I can say for sure, is that if you listened to things that Trump said on the campaign trail, looked at who he put around himself, and decided that that's who you were voting for, I really have no interest in associating with you. I see the vote as a hateful action directed against me and the people that I care about and I'm going to do what I can to defend myself. The best I can say for anyone that didn't vote for Hillary is that I think they made a bad miscalculation, and I'm deeply disappointed that they were not able to anticipate what would happen if Trump got into the White House. I don't think it was difficult to see.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Just because a news outlet doesn't align with your personal opinions does not make it 'fake news.' But way to make Orwell proud, buddy!

Correct, it's not "fake news" because it doesn't align with my opinions, it's fake news because they've been shown numerous times to flat out lie and make up crap to push an agenda. Fake news CNN, the new National Enquirer standard of "journalism". You can't cite a CNN article and hope to be taken seriously.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Correct, it's not "fake news" because it doesn't align with my opinions, it's fake news because they've been shown numerous times to flat out lie and make up crap to push an agenda. Fake news CNN, the new National Enquirer standard of "journalism". You can't cite a CNN article and hope to be taken seriously.

You mean like "Fair and Balanced" Faux News?

Jul 9, 2009
Hey, when you start draining the swamp, you can expect a lot of the swamp critters to scream and howl :D
When I point out the various reasons that conservatives think the EPA is a swamp that needs draining(with more care than they drained the Gold King mine), the left in here go to their foaming act.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I don't see any cracks forming yet. Conservatives are probably very pleasantly surprised to see what Trump has done in such a short amount of time. Places like Fox had better get in line or lose their viewer base.

Lol get in line? You mean not to question the absurdness of the administration so far? Well there you go you just proved to yourself how FoX is a faux news shril for the republican party.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

Assertion noted, lack of documented evidence for assertion also noted.....

Per Hitchens: assertions made without evidence may be DISMISSED without evidence.

You can assert that there is a Santa Clause, that doesn't make the statement true. You want to try to back up your assertion or are you post truth now?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
But you and all your news sources are perfectly neutral, right? No agenda whatsoever...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

citation(s) needed.

/waits incoming listing of twitter posts and editorials.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
The Junk Science / Fake Science eco-KOOK hoax and the mudslide of alarmist gloom and doom scare stories and lies is ending. Next step will be charges and fraud litigation against the so called "scientists" that corrupted and defrauded Public Policy and the Tax Payer. They should go to Jail just like Bernie Madoff.

Feb 16, 2005
The Junk Science / Fake Science eco-KOOK hoax and the mudslide of alarmist gloom and doom scare stories and lies is ending. Next step will be charges and fraud litigation against the so called "scientists" that corrupted and defrauded Public Policy and the Tax Payer. They should go to Jail just like Bernie Madoff.
YEA! FVCK SCIENCE!! Who cares if an overwhelming majority of 'scientists' are in agreement regarding man-made global warming! Those fvckers are just in it for the allmighty dollar!

by the way, gas was $2.14/gal by me, so thanks for tracking that, it's gone up a whopping 30 cents in 8 years. goddamn kenyan, muslim gas price hiker.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Can you quote what I said that gave you that vibe? I'm genuinely curious.

Yeah, a lot of conservatives have more of a problem with a few broken windows and bloody noses than they do with systemic oppression by the police and social policy. But you'll be happy to know that while I think such views are awful, I don't think they make you a Nazi, or think you should be killed for them.

I don't know, I don't think every last person that voted for Trump is a Nazi, and I've already said that. What I can say for sure, is that if you listened to things that Trump said on the campaign trail, looked at who he put around himself, and decided that that's who you were voting for, I really have no interest in associating with you. I see the vote as a hateful action directed against me and the people that I care about and I'm going to do what I can to defend myself. The best I can say for anyone that didn't vote for Hillary is that I think they made a bad miscalculation, and I'm deeply disappointed that they were not able to anticipate what would happen if Trump got into the White House. I don't think it was difficult to see.

As far as I can remember you never accused me of what I said. I brought it up in context to you mentioning Dank and that was his view.

Your last paragraph I can accept as reasonable, but I do wonder if you have presented a false dilemma. There weren't a few kids breaking a few windows, a whole section was burned out. Innocent people were harmed by direct action and that can directly be related to Brown being shot. If you recall there were two dominant views. Either the cop shot him or Brown was guilty. Know which side I took? Neither. Why? Because the situation was emotionally charged and almost void of established facts. But that didn't matter. Real innocent people were substantially harmed.

Now why does this mean that I support racist police actions there? Because I didn't want punishment of anyone before an investigation or because I didn't want the town burned? Which is view is awful?

I'll tell you my opinion, the awful opinion is that which justifies harm to others.

The closest conclusion to mine that I know of is from Eric Holder, who found that it was the officer which was backed by the facts and that racism in Ferguson is a serious issue. As far as I know Holder hasn't come out saying that firebombing wasn't a big deal.

So I guess that may make me a conservative because I don't buy one side, or a liberal because I don't support police racism. But me and Holder we seem to be "those people all alike" to some.

You aren't stupid and I know that which is why I'm bothering with a response. but again people really need to think.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah man! Then damn scientists! They totally fucked up everything!

But seriously though: empty your medicine cabinet now. Because science is evil.

Oh, best to tear down your house or at least gut it completely. All those energy efficient windows and insulation and LED light bulbs are completely evil.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
yeah man! Then damn scientists! They totally fucked up everything!

But seriously though: empty your medicine cabinet now. Because science is evil.

Oh, best to tear down your house or at least gut it completely. All those energy efficient windows and insulation and LED light bulbs are completely evil.
Dude everyone knows led light bulbs are liberal mind control devices. IGBT only uses cfls and makes sure to get a good dose of mercury when they break.