Trump NY indictment thread

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Now imagine the faux outrage if Biden had to get a loan from someone. Hell, they’ll accuse him of wrong doing if someone paid for his ice cream.

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Now imagine the faux outrage if Biden had to get a loan from someone. Hell, they’ll accuse him of wrong doing if someone paid for his ice cream.
They already attacked him for making a loan 1/1,000th the size and getting paid back.

Reactions: zinfamous

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
They already attacked him for making a loan 1/1,000th the size and getting paid back.
But we’re talking the other way around. It is far worse when they need the money vs them giving it and getting paid back with unknown funds.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oh it's totally fair to conclude that Trump went under more significant scrutiny as a result of his political career resulting in discovery and civil litigation for fraudulent practices that have been pervasive through his business career.

It's totally wrong to conclude that this means his current legal woes are a politically biased witch-hunt. If you want to engage in some sort of analysis of why his actions weren't discovered and litigated sooner, go ahead.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh it's totally fair to conclude that Trump went under more significant scrutiny as a result of his political career resulting in discovery and civil litigation for fraudulent practices that have been pervasive through his business career.

It's totally wrong to conclude that this means his current legal woes are a politically biased witch-hunt. If you want to engage in some sort of analysis of why his actions weren't discovered and litigated sooner, go ahead.
Exactly right.

In the past he was a low rent grifter who donated to the local DA to avoid scrutiny. Once he got to the national stage he encountered people he couldn’t bribe.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
HOW did he manage to secure the $175 million for the bond? I swear this fuckers luck is unlike any I've ever seen. Now I don't think for a second anything bad would have actually happened to him if he hadn't came up with the $$$. But fuck the judge who lowered it from $455 to 175 million. I fully expected him to not be able to come up with the 175, and I was wrong. But I know damn well he would have never been able to do 455.

And I read he posted some idiotic shit on Truth Social complaining about $175 million being unfair. Yes that's a shit load of money, but it was $455. BOO FUCKING HOO.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
HOW did he manage to secure the $175 million for the bond? I swear this fuckers luck is unlike any I've ever seen. Now I don't think for a second anything bad would have actually happened to him if he hadn't came up with the $$$. But fuck the judge who lowered it from $455 to 175 million. I fully expected him to not be able to come up with the 175, and I was wrong. But I know damn well he would have never been able to do 455.

And I read he posted some idiotic shit on Truth Social complaining about $175 million being unfair. Yes that's a shit load of money, but it was $455. BOO FUCKING HOO.
Billionaire's insurance company to the rescue.

The kicker is that trump came up with collateral all in cash. So how he got the cash . That's the 175mil question.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Yep. If he would have stayed in his lane none of these cases would even be a thing.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

In a rational world, owing someone that much money would preclude him becoming president. Alas.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
The rich know which party butters their bread. Just look at the tax "reform" installed under Trump I's reign and who benefitted. And no Paul Ryan, saving enough to pay your Netflix bill every month--to use his own ridiculous example-- is not at all what I'd call "benefitting".

Reactions: hal2kilo

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
In a rational world, owing someone that much money would preclude him becoming president. Alas.
What would be the debt limit in your rational world? Would it be a hard number or a percentage of assets? Would it also include credit score? Should we also look at where income originates? Maybe an in depth audit of the persons complete financial history would be the way to go?
I'm not against the idea, but I wonder how it would work.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
What would be the debt limit in your rational world? Would it be a hard number or a percentage of assets? Would it also include credit score? Should we also look at where income originates? Maybe an in depth audit of the persons complete financial history would be the way to go?
All assets above say $5m should have to be placed in a blind trust for the duration of one’s service in office. This would apply to judges, reps, senators, positions subject to senate approval, and the President and vice president.

Reactions: Zorba

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
How about we cap it at the average lifetime income of a US citizen?

For the record, that's about $1.7M today.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
How about we cap it at the average lifetime income of a US citizen?

For the record, that's about $1.7M today.
So if a candidate had two billion in assets, but owed 1.7 million on their new yacht, they would be ineligible? That seems a little out of balance to me.

Trell

Oct 28, 2003
So if a candidate had two billion in assets, but owed 1.7 million on their new yacht, they would be ineligible? That seems a little out of balance to me.
In that scenario they would just pay off the pittance of 1.7 million and it wouldn't be an issue...

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That's what they do if you want a clearance. The president needs to have a clearance. Trump would never be able to get a clearance.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
That's what they do if you want a clearance. The president needs to have a clearance. Trump would never be able to get a clearance.

Technically the President does not have a clearance. Neither do members of congress.

But you're right in that he'd never pass the evaluation that "normies" go through. For many many many reasons.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yes, as stated if they have billions, they shouldn't owe anyone anything prior to running for office.

Having a few grand in outstanding debts can preclude us normies from getting security clearances, I don't see why public office holders should be held to a different standard.

Reactions: thilanliyan

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think there should be a legal prohibition from holding office but I think a rational voter would see someone that deeply in debt and decide that someone that compromised shouldn't hold high office.

Trump clearly doesn't have the money to cover these judgments, he said as much to the court, that means these guys have tremendous leverage over him.

Reactions: Zorba