Trump Moves to Deport Vietnam War Refugees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
From the article:

“While the procedures associated with this specific agreement do not apply to Vietnamese citizens who arrived in the United States before July 12, 1995, it does not explicitly preclude the removal of pre-1995 cases.”

And

Katie Waldman, a spokeswoman for DHS said: “We have 5,000 convicted criminal aliens from Vietnam with final orders of removal—these are non-citizens who during previous administrations were arrested, convicted, and ultimately ordered removed by a federal immigration judge. It’s a priority of this administration to remove criminal aliens to their home country.”

It looks like the previous administrations were also a party to the same rules but failed to follow through. I don't see an issue here.

Once that may have been enough but the DHS and Trump have no credibility. The consequence of this dishonesty is that the implicit of trust in institutions has changed to a mandate of the assumption of falsehood. That's how you destroy a democracy and that part, the undermining, has happened.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hey there, old Vietnamese refugee guy! Remember that time you got busted back in 1983? You thought that was over with a long time ago, right?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wonder what our modern day faux conservatives think of this guy.

He is a brave man, who was surrounded by other brave men that did the right thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riordan_(banker)

A lot of Americans (civilians, military, and US gov agency personnel) totally ignored orders about not evacuating the South Vietnamese who they worked with out of fear they would be either imprisoned or outright murdered. I can say they acted with more morality and care than the US political leadership of the time.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Dude, I was there for 22 months. We fought for SOUTH Vietnam...a country that doesn't exist...and in reality, we fought against communism. It was a terrible waste of lives on both sides, and in the end, the communists won.

Agreed, and thanks for your service; was just curious why you said we fought Against their country.

Are you under the impression these refugees were from the North?

Feb 4, 2009
A lot of Americans (civilians, military, and US gov agency personnel) totally ignored orders about not evacuating the South Vietnamese who they worked with out of fear they would be either imprisoned or outright murdered. I can say they acted with more morality and care than the US political leadership of the time.

I know, I’ll never forget a Cambodian guy I worked with. When he became a citizen someone asked him “How did you come here?”

He said:
My Dad was like a Doctor and my Mom helped him, one day the Soldiers came by and took my parents out back and shot them. They were going to take my Cousins and Sister away but my Aunt talked them out of it. We went to some friend of hers who took us out on a fishing boat until we met a cargo ship that took us to France. Later we moved to the US to live with my Uncle.

Holy shit, being a young kid and watching your parents get executed. I don’t think many Americans (me included) understand that.

**sorry for off topic rant**

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Once that may have been enough but the DHS and Trump have no credibility. The consequence of this dishonesty is that the implicit of trust in institutions has changed to a mandate of the assumption of falsehood. That's how you destroy a democracy and that part, the undermining, has happened.

I think the undermining is under way but far from complete.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The issue isn't so much whether or not it's legal to deport these people (it looks like it is), it's the obsession with getting rid of immigrants.

The Trump administration acts as if the country will magically improve if it just purges enough 'undesirable' immigrants (but conveniently, just the non-white ones), and it will scrounge for any pretext to do so no matter how small the demographic or how little threat that group poses. Something tells me a refugee who's been living here 45-plus years is not a threat even if they committed a (non-violent) crime at some point.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump just keeps taking hostages in this ridiculous culture war, doesn't he?

The only reason it sells at all is that White Conservatives can't get over themselves.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
LOL, I'm talking about a lawyer. Orangeman Trump is recognized as a felon in court, you ignorant chump. Do you understand that or not?

Are you talking about a lawyer or not. You seem confused. I thought you meant Cohen as he has been convicted. Trump has not been convicted of anything yet.

When Trump is convicted of a felony charge he will be a felon, but not until.

Definition:

Felon = a person who has been convicted of a felony.

You seem to be the ignorant chump.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
LOL, I'm talking about a lawyer. Orangeman Trump is recognized as a felon in court, you ignorant chump. Do you understand that or not?

How is Trump recognized as a felon in court? What court documents does his name appear that would recognize or classify him as a felon?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I agree the Democrats have done a hell of a job.

Oh, please. Why do we have to fuck with these people? Their crimes occurred *more than 20 years ago*, up to 40 years ago back to when they first came to this country.

Is there some moral imperative to be so chickenshit? Make America White Again, or what?

It's fucking ridiculous is what it is.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I would think that they would run a background check on anyone before turning custody of children over to them.

I guess for you damned if they do damned if they don't.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Dude, I was there for 22 months. We fought for SOUTH Vietnam...a country that doesn't exist...and in reality, we fought against communism. It was a terrible waste of lives on both sides, and in the end, the communists won.

Unfortunately, Orangeman is at the worst, just an unindicted co-conspirator, not a convicted felon...

JFK was smart enough not to escalate it into a full blown war given the complications of trying to fight against communism and yet at the same time knowing it was largely driven by anti-French, anti-colonial, pro-nationalist forces and committing ground troops in a war to prevent Vietnamese self-determination would be ultimately contradict American ideals. Had JFK not been assassinated America simply would never have entered into Vietnam in a general war like LBJ did.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
JFK was smart enough not to escalate it into a full blown war given the complications of trying to fight against communism and yet at the same time knowing it was largely driven by anti-French, anti-colonial, pro-nationalist forces and committing ground troops in a war to prevent Vietnamese self-determination would be ultimately contradict American ideals. Had JFK not been assassinated America simply would never have entered into Vietnam in a general war like LBJ did.

Meh. You can't say that last bit for sure. The Joint Chiefs & LBJ badly underestimated the resolve of the North & the insurgents in the South. It destroyed Johnson.

None of what happened back then justifies the Trumpian fuckover of today. The way it's all going, Trump may end up as an asylum seeker himself. The irony would be delicious.