Trump Lied About Warren Buffett At The Debate

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
And Buffett hit back with the factual truth, which is simply not fair in Trump's world:

Some Tax Facts for Donald Trump

Answering a question last night about his $916 million loss carryforward in 1995, Donald Trump stated that “Warren Buffet took a massive deduction.” Mr. Trump says he knows more about taxes than any other human, He has not seen my income tax returns, but I am happy to give him the facts.

My 2015 return shows adjusted gross income of $11,563,931. My deductions totaled $5,477,694, of which allowable charitable deductions were $3,469,179. All but $36,037 of the remainder was for state income taxes.

The total charitable contributions I made during the year were $2,858,057,970, of which more than $2.85 billion were not taken as deductions, and never will be. Tax law properly limits charitable deductions.

My federal income tax for the year was $1,845,557. Returns for previous years are of similar nature in respect to contributions, deductions, and tax rates.

I have paid federal taxes every year since 1944, when I was 13. (Though, being a slow starter, I owed only $7 in tax that year.) I have copies of all 72 of my returns, and none uses a carryforward.

Finally, I have been audited by the IRS multiple times, and am currently being audited. I have no problem releasing my tax information while under audit. Neither would Mr. Trump — at least he would have no legal problem.

Link.

^^^ Trump is the biggest, most casual liar I have ever seen in American politics . . . and that's saying a lot.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeh, but paying taxes means Buffett is a dummy... according to the gospel of greed, the gospel of Trump.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Well 3.5M is pretty massive but considering he gave damn near 3 BILLION to charities I'm willing to pretend he didn't file for a single deduction at all.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Buffet for President, but he wants no part of it.

He's smarter than that.

That and doing other things with the grand kids I imagine.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Except for the one that had the audacity to give an interview, because, you know, he's petty and spiteful and disowned her over it.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Except for the one that had the audacity to give an interview, because, you know, he's petty and spiteful and disowned her over it.

He can do what he wants I guess.

If she wanted to be ungrateful, she can sleep in the bed she made.

Happens all the time, not like she was sexually assaulted, etc. I'd imagine he spoiled the hell out of her when she was growing up.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Well 3.5M is pretty massive but considering he gave damn near 3 BILLION to charities I'm willing to pretend he didn't file for a single deduction at all.

Warren Buffet is basically the polar opposite of Trump in terms of making the world a better place or not.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Since we are talking about trumps lies in the debate and I don't feel like creating twenty new threads to cover them all, I thought I'd highlight one of his lies that on the surface seemed like a good call out of Hillary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3da8f6-8e91-11e6-bc00-1a9756d4111b_story.html

HILLARY CLINTON, in response to a question about her saying that politicians need to have “both a public and a private position” in a 2013 paid speech, said, “As I recall, that was something I said about Abraham Lincoln after having seen the wonderful Steven Spielberg movie called Lincoln. It was a master class watching President Lincoln get the Congress to approve the 13th Amendment.”

DONALD TRUMP replied, “She lied. Now she’s blaming the lie on the late, great Abraham Lincoln.”

THE FACTS: Clinton’s recollection is correct.

Clinton invoked the movie “Lincoln,” and the deal-making that went into passage of the 13th Amendment, which outlawed slavery, in an April 2013 speech to the National Multifamily Housing Council.

According to excerpts of the speech included in hacked emails published last week by WikiLeaks, Clinton said politicians must balance “both a public and a private position” while making deals, a process she said was like making sausage.

Oops

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
And Buffett hit back with the factual truth, which is simply not fair in Trump's world:

Some Tax Facts for Donald Trump

Answering a question last night about his $916 million loss carryforward in 1995, Donald Trump stated that “Warren Buffet took a massive deduction.” Mr. Trump says he knows more about taxes than any other human, He has not seen my income tax returns, but I am happy to give him the facts.

My 2015 return shows adjusted gross income of $11,563,931. My deductions totaled $5,477,694, of which allowable charitable deductions were $3,469,179. All but $36,037 of the remainder was for state income taxes.

The total charitable contributions I made during the year were $2,858,057,970, of which more than $2.85 billion were not taken as deductions, and never will be. Tax law properly limits charitable deductions.

My federal income tax for the year was $1,845,557. Returns for previous years are of similar nature in respect to contributions, deductions, and tax rates.

I have paid federal taxes every year since 1944, when I was 13. (Though, being a slow starter, I owed only $7 in tax that year.) I have copies of all 72 of my returns, and none uses a carryforward.

Finally, I have been audited by the IRS multiple times, and am currently being audited. I have no problem releasing my tax information while under audit. Neither would Mr. Trump — at least he would have no legal problem.

^^^ Trump is the biggest, most casual liar I have ever seen in American politics . . . and that's saying a lot.

You are just as capable of (and accountable for) providing sources as the rest of us Peanut Gallery peeps.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Do you think it was a "lie" or just a bold-face ignorant, off the cuff statement that he had no idea if it was right or wrong? There's a difference between the two I guess.
I just want to know if he's trying to actually fool people with conscious lies, or just saying anything that comes to his feeble mind and hoping somebody at brietbart makes a meme out of it.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Do you think it was a "lie" or just a bold-face ignorant, off the cuff statement that he had no idea if it was right or wrong? There's a difference between the two I guess.
I just want to know if he's trying to actually fool people with conscious lies, or just saying anything that comes to his feeble mind and hoping somebody at brietbart makes a meme out of it.
He doesn't care whether what he says is true or not. I'm quite comfortable calling him a serial liar.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
He doesn't care whether what he says is true or not. I'm quite comfortable calling him a serial liar.

Oh, I'm in total agreement that he doesn't care either way. I'm just curious if he KNOWS he's lying or if he's just saying shit and whether it be true or not he doesn't care. End result is the same -- his zealots lap it up and regurgitate it -- but I'd like to understand the means to the end.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Oh, I'm in total agreement that he doesn't care either way. I'm just curious if he KNOWS he's lying or if he's just saying shit and whether it be true or not he doesn't care. End result is the same -- his zealots lap it up and regurgitate it -- but I'd like to understand the means to the end.

It's both. Because used car salesman types know that even if people don't trust them, what they say still instinctively anchors (thats the technical term) in the mind and frames the conversation. But also lies are more convincing if the teller displays some personal conviction, so there's an evolutionary advantage of sorts to believe in their own fabrications.

For example, he called his behavior in this case "locker room talk", even though he was mic'ed up on the job speaking to a co-worker. You'd expect the sycophants to parrot that, but notice that's how the media choose to analyze the incident too, as locker room instead of workplace behavior, without pointing out how ridiculous false that is.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Trump is a bullshit artist, not a liar. There is a profound & dangerous difference-

Yet the increasingly frequent tendency of Trump’s critics to label him a liar is wrongheaded. Trump is something worse than a liar. He is a bullshit artist. In his 2005 book On Bullshit, Harry G. Frankfurt, emeritus philosophy professor at Princeton University, makes an important distinction between lying and bullshitting—one that is extremely useful for understanding the pernicious impact that Trump has on public life. Frankfurt’s key observation is that the liar, even as he or she might spread untruth, inhabits a universe where the distinction between truth and falsehood still matters. The bullshitter, by contrast, does not care what is true or not. By his or her bluffing, dissimulation, and general dishonesty, the bullshit artist works to erase the very possibility of knowing the truth. For this reason, bullshit is more dangerous than lies, since it erodes even the possibility of truth existing and being found.

https://newrepublic.com/article/124803/donald-trump-not-liar

It's an excellent article worth saving & reading more than once.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I would say that to lie is to know what you're saying is false and saying it anyway. It is possible to make a false statement and not be lying but just being incorrect. In Trump's case he just says whatever random thing he thinks of and has no regard for the truthfulness of the claim. He knows that even though it's quite possible what he says is false that his supporters will believe it as if Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John voted to add Donald as a 5th Gospel.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Since we are talking about trumps lies in the debate and I don't feel like creating twenty new threads to cover them all, I thought I'd highlight one of his lies that on the surface seemed like a good call out of Hillary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3da8f6-8e91-11e6-bc00-1a9756d4111b_story.html

Oops

But this is the problem with our media and society; if it isn't reduced to one statement, no one wants to hear it. It becomes too complex. When I heard she had a public and private position, I thought of negotiations, things if you had no opposition you would want, vs. things you know you can get when dealing with the other negotiating party. And FYI, Trump has made the same argument. He's said that in re: to multiple things, one being his tax plan.

Here it is,

“They will go up a little bit, and they may go up—” Trump started.

“But they’re going down in your plan,” Stephanopoulos said.

“No, no, in my plan, they’re going down, but by the time it’s negotiated, they’ll go up,” Trump said. “When I’m negotiating with the Democrats, I’m putting in a plan. I’m putting in my optimum plan. It’s going to be negotiated, George. It’s not going to stay there. They’re not going to say, ‘There’s your plan, let’s approve it.’ They’re going to say, ‘Let’s see what we can do.’ It’ll be a negotiation.”
http://freebeacon.com/politics/trum...-the-wealthy-once-i-negotiate-with-democrats/

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
let's see if The Donald tweets about Warren Buffett now. I am betting yes. So easily baited
biggrin.gif