Trump just delivered MD Governor to the Dems?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
  • Wow
Reactions: Fenixgoon

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
There's one side of me that fervently wishes to get Trump incarcerated for the remainder of his pitiful life yet there's the other side that's rooting for him to stay in the game and keep the Repub train wreck crashing along, inciting that insurrectionist party of theirs into a state of ultra-fascist oblivion in his name.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Too bad Larry Hogen didn't run again. We have very few competent politicians at the governor (or higher) level from either party, but Hogen certainly appeared to one of them.

Reactions: BlueWeasel

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I didn't know Hogan was term limited. He's very well-regarded here.
Dems better show up in the election to ensure we get a not-batshit insane governor.

Also, I was thinking about this the other day - can you imagine if one county's votes mattered more than another's for the purposes of the gubernatorial election? Surely, people would be outraged! Why is the winner of the governor's race not the popular vote winner in the state?
And yet, we play that very game with the presidency and the electoral college.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Cox's running mate lives in my community, she's fucking batshit insane.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I didn't know Hogan was term limited. He's very well-regarded here.
Dems better show up in the election to ensure we get a not-batshit insane governor.

Also, I was thinking about this the other day - can you imagine if one county's votes mattered more than another's for the purposes of the gubernatorial election? Surely, people would be outraged! Why is the winner of the governor's race not the popular vote winner in the state?
And yet, we play that very game with the presidency and the electoral college.
Schools do a very good job lying about the great compromise and the reasons for the electoral college. But literally every state realize it was a stupid way to elect a governor. What's interesting is none of them realized the issues with a bicameral legislator.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
TrumpThink is NOT a train wreck. More people are flocking to Trump's brand of hate, childish putdowns and sandbox epithets than you may realize.

It may not show up in phone polls, but the Fascist Tide is becoming stronger.

Hard core folks on either side of the political aisle lost interest in compromise in 2016. I'm not sure winning and then dominating will satisfy them.

Because I am pretty certain their real aim is total annihilation of their opponents.

• Wow
Reactions: gothuevos

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I suspect Wes Moore (DEM) will win the governors house, considering the GOP candidate is a nutty election denier.
I dont think any far-right candidate can win in MD, which is why Hogan could win, because he was so in the middle.

EDIT: had the wrong race

Last edited:
Reactions: Lezunto

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Schools do a very good job lying about the great compromise and the reasons for the electoral college. But literally every state realize it was a stupid way to elect a governor. What's interesting is none of them realized the issues with a bicameral legislator.
Thing is the electoral college wouldn't be so unbalanced if they hadn't capped the House. The electors that large states would get from population would dwarf the 2 that small states get by default.
The system is build on the concept of a weak federal government and more power for individual states. This of course changed with time, especially the Civil War, but not everything evolved with it. Originally the state legislature would pick the electors not a public vote. So there was some improvement but more is needed to make it fair.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I trust nothing anymore. Roy Moore only lost by 0.5% of the state vote in Alabama. I get that it's Alabama, but if a full blown whack job kiddie diddler can barely lose, I have little faith in our electorate to make responsible decisions.

Who then went to replace the very moderate Democrat that beat Roy Moore (i.e. Doug Jones) with a football coach that couldn't even name the three branches of government.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Outgoing gov Larry Hogan said there's no chance in hell the nominated Trump Repub will win gov.

and Hogan himself said he wont support his party's wacko nominee.
in fact, he said
  • Outgoing Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said GOP gubernatorial nominee Dan Cox is unfit for the office.
I am shocked that the Repubs in moderate Md chose a Trumpee :eek:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Outgoing gov Larry Hogan said there's no chance in hell the nominated Trump Repub will win gov.

in fact, he said
  • Outgoing Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said GOP gubernatorial nominee Dan Cox is unfit for the office.
The one thing that disappointed me is that Hogan refused to say he'd vote for the democrat nominee.
Like come on dude, the Republican party is dead. You have democracy or fascism, and I know you know which one you don't want.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

in fact, he said

Maryland is moderate because of the overwhelming majority of Democrats and then some independents, the Republicans in Maryland are just as extreme here as they are in other areas. Drive through the Eastern Shore and you'll think you're in rural Alabama.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Maryland is moderate because of the overwhelming majority of Democrats and then some independents, the Republicans in Maryland are just as extreme here as they are in other areas. Drive through the Eastern Shore and you'll think you're in rural Alabama.
if heavy dem, then how did a moderate repub win Gov 8yrs ago?
(not surprising he won re-election tho. i thought he was a good gov, despite being repub)

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
(not surprising he won re-election tho. i thought he was a good gov, despite being repub)
Many heavy democratic states vote in a Republican governor to keep their taxes low(er).

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Because the Maryland Democrats are moderate, not the Republicans. Also the Democratic candidates were shit (although better than an R, so I still voted for them).

Reactions: nakedfrog

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
The one thing that disappointed me is that Hogan refused to say he'd vote for the democrat nominee.
Like come on dude, the Republican party is dead. You have democracy or fascism, and I know you know which one you don't want.
Indeed. Yes he knew this state was voting D in 2020, but even to fight back against MAGA movement, he wrote in Reagan instead of voting Biden.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have many relatives from the eastern shore and growing up I would go down there a lot - lots of John Birchers back when that was a thing, etc. It was a real shock for me when I realized it because otherwise they are wonderful people but as soon as you mention politics that super nice uncle of mine was like 'well, we do have to kill all the communists'.

Reactions: hal2kilo