Trump, Don Jr, Giuliani & Fox Circulating Doctored Video of Pelosi edited and slowed down to make her sound confused and drunk.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
CBS news had to apologize and Dan Rather lost his job for the AWOL accusations. Dan Rather is no standard when it comes to journalistic integrity.

Rather was deceived, likely so as to discredit him. It was sloppy journalism, not intentional disinformation.

This stuff with the videos of Pelosi is a deliberate attempt to deceive.

The one where they slowed it down to 75% & altered the voice to put it back in the right range is high grade stuff. It'll fool anybody who doesn't know better, AKA Trumpsters & Fox viewers in general. Trump caught lying again? So what's new, right? It doesn't faze 'em one bit. It never occurs to 'em that maybe he's lying about everything...

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Rather was deceived, likely so as to discredit him. It was sloppy journalism, not intentional disinformation.

This stuff with the videos of Pelosi is a deliberate attempt to deceive.

The one where they slowed it down to 75% & altered the voice to put it back in the right range is high grade stuff. It'll fool anybody who doesn't know better, AKA Trumpsters & Fox viewers in general. Trump caught lying again? So what's new, right? It doesn't faze 'em one bit. It never occurs to 'em that maybe he's lying about everything...
Please. The tribalistic rationalizations of people like Rather, and the shift of the news media to a sensationlist for profit model, as exemplified by “journalists” like Rather, is what paved the road for Trump.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Please. The tribalistic rationalizations of people like Rather, and the shift of the news media to a sensationlist for profit model, as exemplified by “journalists” like Rather, is what paved the road for Trump.

You have made the claim that Rather intentionally deceived rather than was himself deceived.

The burden is on you to prove it. It is not self evident as you imply.

If you cannot prove it, you must admit promoting a conspiracy.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

Dan Rather was a well respected and top journalist for decades.

Nov 25, 2013
CBS news had to apologize and Dan Rather lost his job for the AWOL accusations. Dan Rather is no standard when it comes to journalistic integrity.

None of which deals with: "Dan Rather did not doctor any fucking documents. What you stated is a fucking lie."

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

She's my kind of gal.

Yet again, we have the President spreading baseless accusations on his Twitter feed, this time implying I’ve been drunk on the job, when in reality there’s not going to be any goddamn ambiguity whatsoever when I decide to get loaded,” said Pelosi, telling reporters that she couldn’t have been under the influence in the video because it did not feature her clutching the lectern for dear life while flipping off her colleagues and calling them “a gaggle of cocksuckers.” When I get plastered, I’m a mean-ass drunk, so until you see me actively pissing on the House floor or pressing a broken beer bottle up to [Minority Leader] Kevin McCarthy’s dumb face, you dipshits can rest easy knowing I’ve been sober as a goddamn judge.”

Reactions: esquared

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You have made the claim that Rather intentionally deceived rather than was himself deceived.

The burden is on you to prove it. It is not self evident as you imply.

If you cannot prove it, you must admit promoting a conspiracy.
CBS fired Rather after an internal investigation and a NY appeals court dismissed his case against CBS. Conspiracy not found. Rather, either through intention or incompetence, sacrificed his journalistic integrity.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
CBS fired Rather after an internal investigation and a NY appeals court dismissed his case against CBS. Conspiracy not found. Rather either through intention or incompetence sacrificed his journalistic integrity.

Please. Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. Rather just blew it badly & paid the price.

Which has jack shit to do with the topic at hand. You knew that, right?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Please. Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. Rather just blew it badly & paid the price.

My gripes about that fiasco are:
1) It let Bush skate from a legit issue.
2) CBS never disclosed the source of the fake documents.

The rightwing machine was all over Rather from the moment those docs appeared on screen. From the low res TV version it was impossible to discern the raised letters in the dates that identified the docs as fakes. It was only after the docs were put the web later as the controversy boiled over that one could see the problem. In other words, the folks who fed the fakes to CBS did so with the intent of discrediting CBS, not discrediting Bush.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008

THERE IS NO MOVING ON.....
Not as long as Donald Trump is king.
We the people must call them out on this crap at every chance, and keep calling them out over and over just like Fox and Trump will continually mimic their talking points.
We ALL know that down the road 6 months or 12 months, Fox AND Trump will still be referring to this same faked video as proof IT'S ALL TRUE.
THEY won't let it go so.... so why should we?
Ya have to remember, we're all living within Trump world now.
Nothing is as it appears.
It's twilight zone time, and thus there is no moving on. EVER!

Just wait until one of these Trump nutballs tries out for some job interview or tries to qualify for something and someone creates a faked video about THEM.
A fake video where their speech is altered to appear drunk, on drugs, or even worse.
How about some republican candidate shown on faked video soliciting same sex prostitution on main street USA.
I bet those victims would squeal like a pig at their outrage given the shoe is on the other foot.
They always do.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
My gripes about that fiasco are:
1) It let Bush skate from a legit issue.
2) CBS never disclosed the source of the fake documents.

The rightwing machine was all over Rather from the moment those docs appeared on screen. From the low res TV version it was impossible to discern the raised letters in the dateshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian_documents_controversy that identified the dochttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian_documents_controversys as fakes. It was only after the docs were put the web later as the controversy boiled over that one could see the problem. In other words, the folks who fed the fakes to CBS did so with the intent of discrediting CBS, not discrediting Bush.

1) Scant records exist at all of Dubya's time in the ANG. By the time anybody thought to find them they were just... gone. Anybody who knew where they went wasn't saying, either.

2) isn't accurate-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian_documents_controversy

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Is is possible? Sure. The economy isn't giving the traditional political cover that past presidents have enjoyed though. Economy was doing well at the midterms and the GOP suffered a historic defeat. Lots of people think that his biggest achievement (tax cuts) helped out the rich and not them while their costs continue rising. His and the GOP's political fortunes don't appear to be well tied to the economic indicators.

"Standing up to China" isn't going to mean a lot to people who he promised the moon to. So far all he's acomlished (heh) is to increase costs to consumers and wreck various sectors here. Also I think he's doomed to failure on this front anyway since the Chinese appetite to absorb damage appears to have been majorly under appreciated. He thought they'd roll right over and that isn't happening.
The economy hasn't changed, hasn't improved since Obama. Low unemployment but stagnant wages, diminishing standard of living. The trade war is hurting the working class. It's also hurting the stock market. China isn't a paper tiger. They aren't small potatoes. They can absorb any damage the Trump administration can dish out. The tax cuts benefited the wealthy. Where we're going, I can't say. To me, it looks like the USA has suffered immensely in terms of prestige since 2016. The USA is showing itself to be incapable of dealing with its ever more intractable problems, and is showing that it's less and less willing to help with world-wide problems.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Which has jack shit to do with the topic at hand. You knew that, right?
Never ascribe to incompetence when the person should know better.

I didn’t bring Rather into the discussion, but the analogy is valid.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
We have a president that peddles propaganda against Americans. Let that sink in and ask yourself if that's acceptable behavior of a sitting president.
For scumfuck collaborators, and the "centrist" liar enablers, they are perfectly fine with it. They've chimed in, in this very thread.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
For scumfuck collaborators, and the "centrist" liar enablers, they are perfectly fine with it. They've chimed in, in this very thread.
The alarmist waterboy squad and their tirade of triggered ad hominems, right on cue.