Trump Approval Rating Watch thread.

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
ftfy, i also believe that the average is declining due to all the legal issues this past month.

Could be, but there's been other months like this. One would think that of everything that's happened this year, Helsinki would have been the event that hurt Trump the most, but he saw no decline at all from that. Which is bizarre.

Anyway, if these numbers hold, most probable outcome is the dems pick up 30 in HoR and retake the majority, while in the Senate they net 0-1 seats and do not regain majority. If we want a landslide in the HoR and a good chance to retake the Senate we're going to need another 2 point blue shift on both Trump's approval and the generic ballot. So he'll need to be around 38 with the generic around +11, as opposed to 40 and +9 which is where it is today. Unfortunately the GOP has a +2 structural advantage due to gerrymandering for the House races.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Could be, but there's been other months like this. One would think that of everything that's happened this year, Helsinki would have been the event that hurt Trump the most, but he saw no decline at all from that. Which is bizarre.

Trump's supporters do not give a shit about the Russia stuff, so not surprising to me that Helsinki wouldn't move the needle. If I had to guess I'd say that negotiating new trade deals with Mexico and Canada is costing him a little bit.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Trump's average approval rating, as tracked by 538, dipped below 40% for the first time since Feb 4, 2019, around the time when the gov't shutdown ended.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Trump's average approval rating, as tracked by 538, dipped below 40% for the first time since Feb 4, 2019, around the time when the gov't shutdown ended.

That’s still too high for me to have confidence in our country’s future. Vote like they’re gonna steal a second term, because they probably will!

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
That’s still too high for me to have confidence in our country’s future. Vote like they’re gonna steal a second term, because they probably will!

it's definitely far higher than it should be, but i still hold tight to the belief that we will set modern voter turn out records in November, and it won't be in support of Hair Fuhrer.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, the generic ballot is up to about +9 blue now as well. It's been around +7 for several months. I have no idea why we've seen a 2 point blue shift over this past month. One could point to any number of things which have happened in that time, but the same is true of any other one month period during this administration. His approvals didn't seem to decline after Helsinki so who knows why they're declining now. Let's just hope it holds for another 2 months.

Shit economy and coronavirus.response.

$200 a week might be a necessary evil to get Senate majority. McConnell is shitting his pants with the dilemma and trying to find out the line where that happens. Can't help ordinary folks too much but also can't lose the Senate.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So strange that his low approvals on a range of issues are now being reflected in his overall approval.

Fake news suppression polls at it again. Impossible that he's grown deeply unpopular for fucking things up royally.

Feb 4, 2009
Shit economy and coronavirus.response.

$200 a week might be a necessary evil to get Senate majority. McConnell is shitting his pants with the dilemma and trying to find out the line where that happens. Can't help ordinary folks too much but also can't lose the Senate.

Wait until Corona Virus (Kung Flu to make our deplorables happy) hospital bills start visiting thousands upon thousands of people. Particularly TX and FL

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump's lowest 538 was right after Charlottesville. @alien42 is right, he should be loser to 30 then 40.

Given the EXACT same circumstances Obama would be 30. However we all Obama is a little more compotant then Count Trumpula

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Why it is not single digit range is beyond me. I know there are those that would love to overthrow the government, and the mentally ill, but surely that can't account for the 40%.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Why it is not single digit range is beyond me. I know there are those that would love to overthrow the government, and the mentally ill, but surely that can't account for the 40%.
A lot of his supporters understand what an abysmal job he's doing, however they're convinced that democrats are worse.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
A lot of his supporters understand what an abysmal job he's doing, however they're convinced that democrats are worse.
His supporters that really piss me off, are fucking veterans. But I have to admit that most I know that fit this category were career, or as most referred to them as "lifers", as they likely couldn't survive in the private sector where they actually had to exhibit competency in their job.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i can't believe it took an actual failed insurrection/coup that resulted in 5 dead and the Capitol being violently stormed, but Trump's approval rating is finally in freefall.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
i can't believe it took an actual failed insurrection/coup that resulted in 5 dead and the Capitol being violently stormed, but Trump's approval rating is finally in freefall.

He got 75 million votes. He loses 15%. That's still like 64 million people that are insane.

Reactions: soundforbjt

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

I don't consider a drop of 1.7% a free fall. He dropped more from just losing the election between mid November and Mid December. That rating should be down to zero by now, if we had a country of completely sane people.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I don't consider a drop of 1.7% a free fall. He dropped more from just losing the election between mid November and Mid December. That rating should be down to zero by now, if we had a country of completely sane people.

the chart's a moving average so it's going to be a little delayed. the three most recent polls are at a 35% average, and i personally think Rasmussen should just be thrown out at this point. it should be at zero, and will only get closer as Biden's inauguration approaches.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I think that Trump's approval rating is at an all time high....if you approve of him being impeached and tossed into prison... :p

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Who knew that what Trump's supporters really liked about him, this thing about his "telling it like it is" is what got him in trouble time after time after time due to that other nasty habit of his that his supporters completely ignored: that of being a pathological liar.

The guy that kept "telling it like it is" was lying his ass off and it just so happened that those lies of his was what his supporters desperately wanted to hear from him.

How fvcked up is that huh? Yet 70+ million of them were willing to live in a world of lies and put up with Trump's mind numbing incompetence for four whole years culminating in their having to commit sedition and treason because they stayed true and faithful to those incessant blatant lies of his that they all yearned to hear.

Stop the Steal? yeh, c'mon now fella's.

edit - added content

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

It is still above 40%, and it is not at his lowest. That is just fucking scary.

Reactions: Zorba

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Toss out Rassmussen. It's of who Rassmussen considers "Likely Voters," not all people, and oversamples Republicans. The others are in 33-35% range.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
And this is why Biden is pushing for unity instead of division. How to unbrainwash them should be top priority after covid.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Who knew that what Trump's supporters really liked about him, this thing about his "telling it like it is" is what got him in trouble time after time after time due to that other nasty habit of his that his supporters completely ignored: that of being a pathological liar.

The guy that kept "telling it like it is" was lying his ass off and it just so happened that those lies of his was what his supporters desperately wanted to hear from him.

How fvcked up is that huh? Yet 70+ million of them were willing to live in a world of lies and put up with Trump's mind numbing incompetence for four whole years culminating in their having to commit sedition and treason because they stayed true and faithful to those incessant blatant lies of his that they all yearned to hear.

Stop the Steal? yeh, c'mon now fella's.

edit - added content
Nazi Germany proves propaganda works.

Reactions: tweaker2