Trump Approval Rating Watch thread.

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Just look at it as not being a drop at all. The average has been fluctuating in a range of 37-39 for 6 months now. Given the error margins on polls, it's reasonable to assume that his approval rating is very close to static.

I don't think it's going to decline further unless we go into recession. On other hand, where it is isn't exactly all that great for Trump.

The numbers are certainly not great but they are good enough to ensure his continued grasp on power. He has already given the corporations much and is on the precipice of given them unparalleled largess. None of this has affected his popularity in the least.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What were you expecting, rational thought?

Heh, I'm the kind of guy that will by default give the benefit of the doubt sight unseen to any person or group and then assess the situation from there on in. Well although I do realize how Trump's supporters are known for their ability to uhhh, dismiss outright any and all criticisms of Trump, I must admit the comments that were made in Trump's defense defied reality to such an extent that it caught me off guard to know how desperate things are for them at the moment.

I guess they're taking their cues from Trump himself as to how to deal with facts that are bubble bursters. ;)

Reactions: Younigue

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/365548-cnn-poll-trump-approval-rating-hits-new-low

Trump approval rating hits new low in CNN poll
BY AVERY ANAPOL - 12/19/17 07:29 AM EST 1,964

trumpdonald_110317gn3_lead.jpg

© Greg Nash
President Trump’s approval rating has dropped to a record low in a new CNN poll.

Just 35 percent of Americans in the poll released early Tuesday say they approve of the way Trump is handling his job as president.

Trump's approval rating slipped 1 point since November and is a full 10 points lower from his highest approval rating — 45 percent — in March.

The findings are lower than any of his predecessors at this point in their presidencies, the network noted.

All first-time presidents since Dwight Eisenhower have had approval ratings of at least 49 percent in December of their first year in office, according to CNN.
Other polls have listed Trump as the least popular first-year president in history. An Associated Press–NORC poll released last Saturday found that more than two-thirds of respondents said they disapprove of Trump, while only 32 percent approve.

The new CNN poll of 1,001 respondents was conducted between Dec. 14 and 17. It has a margin of error of 3.6 percentage points.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump approval stuck in the mid 30s average and a growing D+12/13 average lead on the generic ballot. It would seem people are indeed tired of all this winning.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump approval stuck in the mid 30s average and a growing D+12/13 average lead on the generic ballot. It would seem people are indeed tired of all this winning.

Yes, 538 has Democrats sitting at just over 13 points in their current polling average for congressional preference. If that or anything close to it holds it's going to be a slaughter next November even with all the gerrymandering that's taken place. That would represent about a net 14 point swing from the 2016 elections, which puts a TON of seats in danger, far more than the 25 they need. (as a reference, when Democrats won by 9 points in 2008 they ended up with a 79 seat advantage).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, 538 has Democrats sitting at just over 13 points in their current polling average for congressional preference. If that or anything close to it holds it's going to be a slaughter next November even with all the gerrymandering that's taken place. That would represent about a net 14 point swing from the 2016 elections, which puts a TON of seats in danger, far more than the 25 they need. (as a reference, when Democrats won by 9 points in 2008 they ended up with a 79 seat advantage).

Probably even worse if the Dems over perform on the state level and wipe out R majorities in state legislatures and turn over a bunch of governorships. The gerrymanders that the Rs have guarded so zealously will be out the window in a lot of places.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Shouldn't this thread be higher than some pointless Hillary approval rating thread?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yea. He was really happy about that 49% approval rating; isn't it amazing that he's over joyed to be near the bottom of the class ?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I give him 3 weeks before he says or does something stupid to drop that again.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'm getting tired if these approval polls. Can't wait for 2018 and 2020 elections to find the real answer. Either reject Trump and GOP, or embrace him. Either way.

I'd love for voters to reject Trump/GOP agenda, but if they don't, at least I'll know where the country stands - it's always good to know what people around you really think.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm getting tired if these approval polls. Can't wait for 2018 and 2020 elections to find the real answer. Either reject Trump and GOP, or embrace him. Either way.

I'd love for voters to reject Trump/GOP agenda, but if they don't, at least I'll know where the country stands - it's always good to know what people around you really think.

The problem is that you get people admitting they didn't think, or were actively just trying to be dicks/trolls. Elections are just how people felt at that time. Sure, in the past you could count on people holding to their beliefs, but now, someone gets cut off driving to the polls and they'll go in "fuck it, let's burn it down" and vote for the person most likely to do that. And then they want to cry about it later and be forgiven, "Oh well shit, I didn't think they'd actually win or be that horrible, I just wanted to send a message of how angry I am will all of politics/government."

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
trump's average approval rating as calculated by 538 has dropped below 40% for the first time since 2/27/18

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Yeah, the generic ballot is up to about +9 blue now as well. It's been around +7 for several months. I have no idea why we've seen a 2 point blue shift over this past month. One could point to any number of things which have happened in that time, but the same is true of any other one month period during this administration. His approvals didn't seem to decline after Helsinki so who knows why they're declining now. Let's just hope it holds for another 2 months.