Trump Approval Rating Watch thread.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
1/17/16

Well its been another rough week for trump in this latest CNN/ORC Poll he drops another 4 percent down to 40 percent. Thats pretty damn low but I will predict it will bottom out at 35.

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump will become president Friday with an approval rating of just 40%, according to a new CNN/ORC Poll, the lowest of any recent president and 44 points below that of President Barack Obama, the 44th president.

Following a tumultuous transition period, approval ratings for Trump's handling of the transition are more than 20 points below those for any of his three most recent predecessors. Obama took the oath in 2009 with an 84% approval rating, 67% approved of Clinton's transition as of late December 1992 and 61% approved of George W. Bush's transition just before he took office in January 2001.
The complete CNN/ORC poll results
Trump's wobbly handling of the presidential transition has left most Americans with growing doubts that the President-elect will be able to handle the job. About 53% say Trump's statements and actions since Election Day have made them less confident in his ability to handle the presidency, and the public is split evenly on whether Trump will be a good or poor president (48% on each side).
The President-elect dismissed the poll findings on Twitter: "The same people who did the phony election polls, and were so wrong, are now doing approval rating polls. They are rigged just like before."

Full story

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I wouldnt ever predict any lowest possible rating percentage for Trump over his presidency.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
So do you think this approval rating will have any more of an effect on Trump decisions?

I suspect it will have zero effect and he will not take it in consideration when making decisions

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So do you think this approval rating will have any more of an effect on Trump decisions?

I suspect it will have zero effect and he will not take it in consideration when making decisions

Probably not. Sean Hannity could be burning him in effigy on the white house lawn and he'd still do whatever he wants.

Congress however may smell blood in the water if his approval among Republicans craters. In which case they'll be sending him bills he won't sign and the government will spend four years lurching from scandal to crisis and back.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I imagine his approval with his hard core base is what he cares most about but I also can almost guarantee he is watching his approval rating EXTREMELY closely as we've basically never had an emotionally needier president than this guy.

As other people mentioned Congress and other stakeholders will most certainly care what his approval rating is though, as presidential approval is strongly correlated with down ballot election outcomes. If his approval rating sucks people are more willing to jump ship.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Most unpopular POTUS in history, with real potential to be worst in history.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

But it will affect his tweet volume.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'm as lefty as they come, but even I have to ask why are we still listening to polls? Trumpers are too dishonest to answer truthfully. I'm sure the equivalent online anonymous poll would show him with an 80% approval rating.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

No, I don't think it will have a direct effect on Trump's decisions, but the amount of power Trump has will be affected by how he is treated by the GOP majorities in both houses on congress, and even the supreme court. (I believe it is now well established that the SCOTUS is influenced by popular opinion.)

Even at 40%, I believe he is okay, but if it falls much further he could suddenly find it very difficult to implement any of his agenda. OTOH, I don't really believe that he even has an agenda so...

As other people mentioned Congress and other stakeholders will most certainly care what his approval rating is though, as presidential approval is strongly correlated with down ballot election outcomes. If his approval rating sucks people are more willing to jump ship.

Yup, a low approval rating for Trump may be the best protection we have from his authoritarian tactics. The press will not be bullied, the courts will not cooperate, and this whole nightmare could be over in four years. That's why it is deeply important to oppose him at every turn.

Jan 25, 2011
Trumps approval rating is irrelevant to Trump. The only thing he cares about is how he feels about himself. Everything else is a lie from people who can't accept how awesome he is. Not saying that to be facetious, that's literally what he continues to state.

Reality can not penetrate his attitude or behavior. The level of self delusion he has won't be lessened by any one or any thing. It's going to be a long 4 years.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
https://www.good.is/articles/trumps...d&tse_id=INF_df784e00dcdf11e6a03c354c456e1db2

President-elect Donald Trump is wildly unpopular. Sure, he won the presidency, but lost the popular vote to Hillary Clinton by nearly three million votes. According to Gallup, Trump is the least popular president-elect since they began tracking incoming presidential approval ratings back in the ‘90s. While most incoming presidents enjoy a post-election bump in the polls, Trump’s numbers have soured since the election and, according to a recent national poll by Quinnipiac University, only 37 percent of Americans approve of the job he’s doing.

For some historical context, Barack Obama had an 83 percent approval rating in 2009. George W. Bush entered office with a 61 percent favorable rating even after beating Al Gore in a contentious supreme court battle. And Bill Clinton had a 68 percent favorable rating after winning three-candidate race with 43 percent of the vote. After winning the election, Trump had a 46 percent approval rating but it’s precipitously dropping as Americans become leery of his ties to Russia, calls to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and daily Twitter outbursts.

More findings from the Quinnipiac University poll:

— 53 percent of Americans believe Trump isn’t honest

— 52 percent of Americans believe Trump does not care about average Americans

— 62 percent believe he isn’t level-headed

— 34 percent of Americans believe that Trump will be a better president than Obama

Reactions: MongGrel

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
https://www.good.is/articles/trumps...d&tse_id=INF_df784e00dcdf11e6a03c354c456e1db2

President-elect Donald Trump is wildly unpopular. Sure, he won the presidency, but lost the popular vote to Hillary Clinton by nearly three million votes. According to Gallup, Trump is the least popular president-elect since they began tracking incoming presidential approval ratings back in the ‘90s. While most incoming presidents enjoy a post-election bump in the polls, Trump’s numbers have soured since the election and, according to a recent national poll by Quinnipiac University, only 37 percent of Americans approve of the job he’s doing.

For some historical context, Barack Obama had an 83 percent approval rating in 2009. George W. Bush entered office with a 61 percent favorable rating even after beating Al Gore in a contentious supreme court battle. And Bill Clinton had a 68 percent favorable rating after winning three-candidate race with 43 percent of the vote. After winning the election, Trump had a 46 percent approval rating but it’s precipitously dropping as Americans become leery of his ties to Russia, calls to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and daily Twitter outbursts.

— 34 percent of Americans believe that Trump will be a better president than Obama

All fake news. All polls but online polls at /r/TheDonald are fake news!

Damnit sandorski! :)

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Oh this thread is gonna be epic. Numbers you've never dreamed about. Twenties, teens... we may even see single digits before this thing is out.

Hmm I wonder though. Could you just estimate the percentage of neo-fascist psychopaths that underly the Republican base?

I'm seeing a floor somewhere between 15 and 30% approval rating. I'm going to check historical ratings and edit this later.

Dec 10, 2005

I'm surprised they only found that 53% think he isn't honest.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Truman hit 22%. W hit 24

I think we'll definitely see teens, the question is will he hit that low before the year is over?