Discussion Trump 2024

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I don't see a chance of him becoming the President of the United States ever again.
Never underestimate the depravity and ignorance that runs rampant across this country. Trump was never supposed to win the 2016 nomination. All these Republican politicians said things about him that would normally knock out any other political opponent. I will not sleep comfortably until he's taking a dirt nap.

Reactions: nOOky and Burpo

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Never underestimate the depravity and ignorance that runs rampant across this country. Trump was never supposed to win the 2016 nomination. All these Republican politicians said things about him that would normally knock out any other political opponent. I will not sleep comfortably until he's taking a dirt nap.

I think the concern isn't so much that he would win (which he still could, who knows how Biden's presidency will shake out), but moreso how would his supporters react after a second loss?

Pretty sad that it even needs to be said.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well if we know one thing it’s that you can definitely trust what Donald Trump says, haha.

I personally doubt he will put himself through a second humiliation.
Poor Trump, tortured by his own ego. But, they want me to run.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If Trump thinks declaring his candidacy for another term will keep his ass out of jail he'll do it and do it as loudly and as persistently as possible, starting his re-run campaign at CPAC all the way through to the next presidential election cycle.

I mean, there's nothing stopping him from doing that is there? McConnell had his chance to kick Donald to the curb but chose not to. Doesn't that mean Moscow Mitch thinks Donald still has the majority of the party backing his play and is afraid to send Donald into political purgatory because of that?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Guess who is running in 2024...

Of course he will. Whether he ends up actually running or not is irrelevant. There's money to grift from the rubes and the dumbfucks between now and then. The grift has been on since 2015 and will continue until he's dead in the ground (at which point Jr and Ivanka will keep his memory alive with more grifting from rubes and dumbfucks.

Reactions: Burpo and cytg111

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If Trump thinks declaring his candidacy for another term will keep his ass out of jail he'll do it and do it as loudly and as persistently as possible, starting his re-run campaign at CPAC all the way through to the next presidential election cycle.

I mean, there's nothing stopping him from doing that is there? McConnell had his chance to kick Donald to the curb but chose not to. Doesn't that mean Moscow Mitch thinks Donald still has the majority of the party backing his play and is afraid to send Donald into political purgatory because of that?
Running for office will not keep his ass out of jail, haha. He would have to somehow delay indictment by three and a half years, which seems like a stretch even for him.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Guess who is running in 2024...
This is sooooo delicious.
Now he is gonna grift the entirety of the GQP into the ground... HAHAHAHAHA
But yea, at the same time, don't underestimate that shit.
On the upside, get that intelligence apparatus rolling please.

If he does that, what are the odds of a R-spinoff season?

Reactions: Fenixgoon

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
LOL@ Sean Hannity and Fox and Friends portraying a "parade" for Trump in Palm Beach Monday as "spontaneous, unplanned, organic" etc. when the event was completely astro-turfed and was all over social media for days with evites being sent out.

Then again, this sort of lie probably occurs about once every 15 minutes on Fox News.
You misspelled seconds.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
LOL@ Sean Hannity and Fox and Friends portraying a "parade" for Trump in Palm Beach Monday as "spontaneous, unplanned, organic" etc. when the event was completely astro-turfed and was all over social media for days with evites being sent out.

Then again, this sort of lie probably occurs about once every 15 minutes on Fox News.
I like her...

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm trying imagine what havoc he'd be wreaking (on the Republican party and on the nation) if he still had his Twitter account.

It's odd, now I think of it, nothing is stopping him starting his own website, and indeed, in his business capacity he already has Trump.com and Trump.org. One would think he could just as easily post what he'd tweet on one of those sites, maybe in a blog format. But I suppose his cult following - and the larger group at the margins of it who could potentially be sucked in and influenced by him - just wouldn't think to look there for it. Once off of Twitter it's as if he's ceased to have a public existence.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I really do enjoy the fact that Trump is that very pesky horsefly landing on Pence's head, doing laps in McConnell's bowl of Borscht and being the boorish embarrassing self-proclaimed patriarch that can't stop minding everyone else's business at family gatherings.

There will come a time when Trump will have spent his last penny's worth of political capital, but until then he will be, in a very ironic sort of way, the Great Divider that not only divided the nation, he split his own party into "a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone".

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It still boggles the mind that McConnell thought he could walk the tightrope and let Trump off the hook without it biting the GOP in the ass.

I'm sure McConnell isn't so naive as to think Trump would simply drift away, but I'm not sure it entirely dawned on him that Trump would try to control the 2024 primaries from the outset and make it seem like he's the only candidate. The GOP has to either find ways to keep Trump down or risk losing elections so long as Trump is capable of running... and even then, it might lose precisely because Trump could take his devotees with him.

The more time goes on, the more Trump comes across like Thanos — convinced he's 'inevitable,' but also a purely destructive force that will hurt the very things he thinks he's protecting.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It still boggles the mind that McConnell thought he could walk the tightrope and let Trump off the hook without it biting the GOP in the ass.

I'm sure McConnell isn't so naive as to think Trump would simply drift away, but I'm not sure it entirely dawned on him that Trump would try to control the 2024 primaries from the outset and make it seem like he's the only candidate. The GOP has to either find ways to keep Trump down or risk losing elections so long as Trump is capable of running... and even then, it might lose precisely because Trump could take his devotees with him.

The more time goes on, the more Trump comes across like Thanos — convinced he's 'inevitable,' but also a purely destructive force that will hurt the very things he thinks he's protecting.
I don't know if he thought Trump would drift away but I think he is correctly betting that Trump will not be the 2024 GOP nominee. Sure he might say that now but there are a number of good reasons he won't be:

1) He just lost as an incumbent, which is Jimmy Carter territory.
2) Right around this time in 2009 Sarah Palin was the presumptive GOP nominee - how did that turn out?
3) There's a pretty decent chance Trump and/or other members of his family will be under indictment in 2024.
4) I'm not sure if Trump has the appetite for another humiliation like 2020.
5) Given his poor health, morbid obesity, and poor diet there's a non-trivial chance he's dead by 2024.

While I could be wrong (thought he would lose in 2016!) I think there's a strong recency bias in who people think will be the nominee. Three years is a long time.

Feb 4, 2009

I agree however we have to accept Moscow Mitch is really smart and accomplished at this stuff, even if we don’t agree with him. I am sure he has a plan. I am sure I’ll never understand that plan.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I agree however we have to accept Moscow Mitch is really smart and accomplished at this stuff, even if we don’t agree with him. I am sure he has a plan. I am sure I’ll never understand that plan.

His plan is always to obstruct anything with a D on it, and says the Rs are the cool kids.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
His plan is always to obstruct anything with a D on it, and says the Rs are the cool kids.

Yes, but he can't do that so effectively if the GOP can't win elections because Trump is like a lead weight around their necks. Which is the entire point of the discussion.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yes, but he can't do that so effectively if the GOP can't win elections because Trump is like a lead weight around their necks. Which is the entire point of the discussion.

Sadly, the only way Ds are winning elections is with record turnouts. People will eventually grow tired and bored of voting and it's going to kill the Dems unless actual voting changes are put in place

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sadly, the only way Ds are winning elections is with record turnouts. People will eventually grow tired and bored of voting and it's going to kill the Dems unless actual voting changes are put in place

Which is why they need to pass voting rights legislation as their top priority. Restore strict scrutiny of states to the Voting Rights Act, and more. If need be, they need to end the filibuster for voting rights legislation.