Discussion Trump 2024

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I don't think he will. A more interesting question, which might warrant it's own thread, is who will take over for Trump and run, and be nominated, in 2024. Once you go crazy, can you go back? Will they accept Jeb Bush? Or go harder onto loonietown for their cult leader?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I don't think he will. A more interesting question, which might warrant it's own thread, is who will take over for Trump and run, and be nominated, in 2024. Once you go crazy, can you go back? Will they accept Jeb Bush? Or go harder onto loonietown for their cult leader?

Jeb was already low energy 4 years ago- I don't think a 71 year old Jeb is going to fire up the base.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
One of the sons? Problem is Eric isn't very charismatic and Don Jr is as dumb as a bag of barber hair.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
One of the sons? Problem is Eric isn't very charismatic and Don Jr is as dumb as a bag of barber hair.
Nah. I think daddy Donald is unique. His wretched spawn are awful, but don't quite have the same combo of swagger and lunacy that'll capture his base again. I don't think trying to copy trump will work, they'll need something new. Above suggestion is a good one; a proper facist, who can lay out these terrible ideas in actual, coherent sentences.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
the last prez to try split terms was TR and that didn't go too well but it was under another parties banner.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The way he is acting now won’t be forgotten by moderate and independents.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
the last prez to try split terms was TR and that didn't go too well but it was under another parties banner.

Yeah, because precedent has ever stopped Trump from doing anything!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

This is the only way Trump runs, I think, assuming he isn't in prison. He will absolutely try to run 3rd party, and it will be great, because only the dems could win in that case.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
This is the only way Trump runs, I think, assuming he isn't in prison. He will absolutely try to run 3rd party, and it will be great, because only the dems could win in that case.

Why would he not run as a Republican again? He's still phenomenally popular with the base.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why would he not run as a Republican again? He's still phenomenally popular with the base.

They aren't republicans? Also, there is no magic on any ballot that prevents people from voting for whatever individual that they want to. I think the GOP is done with Trump and will be spending the next 4 years pretending he didn't exist and convincing the non-Trumpists that it was all the democrat's fault.

I don't think they will take him. Trump will be angry and run 3rd party out of spite. Hell, his entire 2015 campaign and presidenting term was only ever done out of spite.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
They aren't republicans? Also, there is no magic on any ballot that prevents people from voting for whatever individual that they want to. I think the GOP is done with Trump and will be spending the next 4 years pretending he didn't exist and convincing the non-Trumpists that it was all the democrat's fault.

I don't think they will take him. Trump will be angry and run 3rd party out of spite. Hell, his entire 2015 campaign and presidenting term was only ever done out of spite.

The base are the Republican party. They're the people who vote in primaries. Do you think GOP Senators in safe red seats are going to try to stand up to Trump, and get primaried by angry MAGA voters? In a fight between Trump and the "establishment" for control of the party, Trump will win.

Feb 4, 2009
The base are the Republican party. They're the people who vote in primaries. Do you think GOP Senators in safe red seats are going to try to stand up to Trump, and get primaried by angry MAGA voters? In a fight between Trump and the "establishment" for control of the party, Trump will win.

Once it is confirmed the President is on his way out, I suspect many in the GOP will find their backbone again.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I doubt it will happen for a couple reasons
1) trumps age - he will be 78 by then
2) the "magic" of trump will have faded significantly over the course of 4 years. It takes a sizable amount of energy to be in a cult and I suspect many people will start realizing how bad he is. The whole "hindsight is 20/20" thing
3) he is likely to be mired in a ton of litigation and felony charges. I believe there are many people eyeing the election results for this
4) post-removal of office, Trump is going to make himself look dumber with the Tweet storms that are sure to follow.
5) Melania is probably already eyeing her escape

I am sure there is more, but once out, I sincerely doubt the Republicans will want him back. He would be more baggage than he is worth.

Most of that is wishful thinking IMO.

This isn't driven by the magic of Trump. He is just a figurehead for something that has been long festering in Republican base. A group that has been fed a steady diet of conspiracy, lies and misinformation by outlets like Fox News and now worse on the internet, and no longer have the capability to differentiate between reality and the fantasy bubble they live in. And it isn't fading. It's feeding, and growing inside that alt-right, anti-reality bubble.

Whether it's Trump or a new demagogue, that takes on the leadership Mantle of the crazies, there is no moderating or turning back. Now that they have been shown that common decency doesn't apply, and that they can lie constantly, cheat and abuse, and win doing it, this will be the way of the Republicans until some major crises forces a reset. Something way beyond COVID 19.

Joe Biden is just barely beating a lying, malignant narcissist, that was destroying the country, and he will be 81 in 2024, and he will have the enormous task of digging out from COVID 19 mismanagement while dogged by Trump, and his followers until that mantle is passed or not.

Reactions: jwhorfin and Ken g6

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
The way he is acting now won’t be forgotten by moderate and independents.

By the whatnow?? These are political unicorns in america, they don't exist! Occasionally terms used by cowards who don't think gay people should be jailed, but also don't want to pay a penny more in taxes.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
easy solution: have the House pass a law requiring candidate's taxes for min past10 years be submitted and received in order to be put on ballot. drumpf cant stand for his real lack of wealth to be public.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
We know that POTUS must be at least 35 years old, and natural born citizen. Is convicted felon OK?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
1) trumps age - he will be 78 by then
Biden will be 78 in two weeks, and it looks like he did alright. If Trump is still in reasonable health then he will run.

2) the "magic" of trump will have faded significantly over the course of 4 years. It takes a sizable amount of energy to be in a cult and I suspect many people will start realizing how bad he is. The whole "hindsight is 20/20" thing
Trump is not magic. Trump is a symptom of a problem that has been around for awhile. What matters is can he maintain relevance, I don't think he can, but I've been continually surprised by what he has managed to get away with.

3) he is likely to be mired in a ton of litigation and felony charges. I believe there are many people eyeing the election results for this
I still believe that nearly every bit of that is going to do away with a 'For the good of the country lets let bygones be bygones'. Biden has already stated on talking points to that effect.

4) post-removal of office, Trump is going to make himself look dumber with the Tweet storms that are sure to follow.
Dumber then his tweet storms from the list 5 years? I doubt that will matter to his voters at all, I am pretty sure they admire him for it.

5) Melania is probably already eyeing her escape

Melania knows what she is about. She gets the money, he gets a trophy wife. She doesn't want to escape, she just doesn't want him touching her. She probably loves living in the White House, there she, probably for the first time in her life, has things to do that actually matter, and Trump is so busy being Demagogue that she only has to see him for the occasional photo op. She knows he is getting older and fatter. She her escape comes when he dies and the prenup ends.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
We know that POTUS must be at least 35 years old, and natural born citizen. Is convicted felon OK?
Yes it is, as long as he is not convicted for certain things.

The only requirements for being President of the United States is:

Be a natural born citizen of the United States.
Be a resident of the United States for 14 years
Be 35 years of age or older
Not be barred from holding federal office due to impeachment by the US Senate.
Not have been found guilty of insurrection, rebellion, or treason against the United States (14th Amendment)
Not have already held the office for two term, one of which was at least 2 years. (22nd Amendment)