True worth of upgrading to i7 vs the existing Quads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
My Xeon X3360 (Q9550 wannabe) is happily crunching away in an ASUS P5Q Deluxe at 3.6 GHz. I can encode 720p to x264 at exactly real time (but 2-pass, so 2 minutes encoding for every minute of video), with the only AVISynth filter running being a simple decimate to turn the broadcast 29.97p into the original source 23.976p. Keep in mind, x264 is one of only a few things that loads this up to 100%, so it's fast, but i7 is faster ;)

pectin

Nov 10, 2008
i checked that in x264 encoding benchmarks most of the q6600 outperformed the q9550 in terms of encoding even though it is a 65nm chip. Any difference then in terms of an overclocked q6600 vs a q9550 >>> maybe overclocked to 3.2 at least if possible. How far can the q9550 go compared to the q6600? I am out of touch..

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: 209Mason
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
I need some help in understanding the "Tick-tock" model...

I guess my big question is... is it better to buy on a "tick" or on a "tock"?
If I buy a Nehalem (core i7) processor at 45nm.... and next year on the "tick" they bust out the 32nm chips and boards, will that mean I've gone as far as I can as far as upgrading is concerned?

If I'm understanding it right, hitting on a "tick" (ie 2009) with the new silicon process (32nm) will allow me to cash in on the benifits of the "tock" since it's also built on the 32nm process. Does this mean I have 2 years worth of upgrading capability as opposed to 1 (when buying on a tick), or will each tick and tock require an essentially new setup?

If I'm way off, let me know, ha.

Either one your a winner. If ya started with 65nm C2D and didn't do Penryn . IC7 is a good step up . If you got penryn . Maybe waiting on westmere is the way to go . Either way its good. Its all good. I would still wait for M/Bs with hydra chip.

lol... boy you're going to laugh... I'm rocking the first build I ever did (back in 2001) an Athlon 1900!... Finally got to the point where I can't play anything released in the past couple years really. Trying to decide to go with a Q6600, a core i7, or wait for the 32nm....
But don't want to have to do a complete rebuild in a couple years again.

My advice : Grab shoes and wallet, head to the pc store and buy anything, c2d, core 2 quad, 920 (no actually you cant afford to wait til the 16th). Don't buy online, you dont have time for that either. Also I wouldn't admit to using an athlon 1900 anymore, you should probably just switch to a different avatar (after upgrading your pc).

So ya, don't wait for the 32 nm chips.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
As everyone is pointing out...

Depending on what you do, you need to see if the ends justifys the premium.

As for me, my board FINALLY arrived..

209Mason

Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by: TidusZ
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
I need some help in understanding the "Tick-tock" model...

I guess my big question is... is it better to buy on a "tick" or on a "tock"?
If I buy a Nehalem (core i7) processor at 45nm.... and next year on the "tick" they bust out the 32nm chips and boards, will that mean I've gone as far as I can as far as upgrading is concerned?

If I'm understanding it right, hitting on a "tick" (ie 2009) with the new silicon process (32nm) will allow me to cash in on the benifits of the "tock" since it's also built on the 32nm process. Does this mean I have 2 years worth of upgrading capability as opposed to 1 (when buying on a tick), or will each tick and tock require an essentially new setup?

If I'm way off, let me know, ha.

Either one your a winner. If ya started with 65nm C2D and didn't do Penryn . IC7 is a good step up . If you got penryn . Maybe waiting on westmere is the way to go . Either way its good. Its all good. I would still wait for M/Bs with hydra chip.

lol... boy you're going to laugh... I'm rocking the first build I ever did (back in 2001) an Athlon 1900!... Finally got to the point where I can't play anything released in the past couple years really. Trying to decide to go with a Q6600, a core i7, or wait for the 32nm....
But don't want to have to do a complete rebuild in a couple years again.

My advice : Grab shoes and wallet, head to the pc store and buy anything, c2d, core 2 quad, 920 (no actually you cant afford to wait til the 16th). Don't buy online, you dont have time for that either. Also I wouldn't admit to using an athlon 1900 anymore, you should probably just switch to a different avatar (after upgrading your pc).

So ya, don't wait for the 32 nm chips.

lol... hilarious.
Yeah I know... but hey, this thing's been a champ... upgraded 2 or 3 times, but anything that's come out in the past 3 years or so has been beyond this systems' capabilities. Time to part ways and send this piece on to my parents, lol.

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards going with a Q6600 setup at the end of the month. Going to wait and see if there are any crazy good blackfriday deals on mobos, cases, etc. at Newegg and other places and go from there I think.