True worth of upgrading to i7 vs the existing Quads

pectin

Nov 10, 2008
Seriously thinking of upgrading my Dual core 3ghz to the newer PCs.. doing programming, oracle, video encoding x264, no gaming, etc... is it worth upgrading to the i7 core vs the Quads like the q9550 or something similar? The newer i7 seems faster in the 10-30% but is it true 10-30% theoretical or real world I am not sure. When the newer i7 comes out I think it is going to be buggy and on top of it expensive.. memory, motherboard, blah.... I like the fastest and the greatest.... but with the economy going further south like this now..I am worried of the future ..I am sure the 9550 would further drop when the i7 is released... would they? opinions anyone?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: pectin
Seriously thinking of upgrading my Dual core 3ghz to the newer PCs.. doing programming, oracle, video encoding x264, no gaming, etc... is it worth upgrading to the i7 vs the Quads like the q9550 or something similar?

but with the economy going further south like this now..I am worried of the future with many mouths to feed at home....

Since you brought up the topic to being with, my personal opinion on this is that you have no justification for putting (faster) encoding before feeding children (or being secure enough financially to know it won't be in question, ever).

Regardless, even if your new computer were 4x faster than the current one, how much time are really saving? I do encoding on my quads now, they take 12 hrs. It runs over night. If I cut that time in half, to just 6 hrs, it wouldn't save me any time whatsoever because it would just mean the encode job got done at 2am instead of 8am.

But if you've got the money, and your non-hobby responsibilities are taken care of, then upgrading to an i7 920 and overclocking it to 3.5GHz would probably feel like it was worth the money from the review data so far.

If you can wait till Jan it would probably pay off to wait for Deneb to release, that way you have more choices on your upgrades for maximizing your bucks. Yorkfield, Deneb, or Nehalem.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
doing programming, oracle, video encoding x264, no gaming

i7 will do great things for you, but not right now, wait at least another quarter for the board and ram prices to drop, let the initial hype wear off.

as far as buggy, no. I've never seen a buggy intel platform, even right at launch. intel sells millions of chips to OEMs, they cant afford shit like that.

my advice, wait until Feb-March, buy the cheapest of the high-end (920 as of now) with a good heatsink (TRUE 120 in my book), and overclock. 3.6 GHz is set it and forget it, 3.8 GHz is softcore, 4 GHz is challenging but with a new stepping that might change.

of course if you need something right away, there is no better value then a core 2 quad and a shit load of ddr2 ;)

pectin

Nov 10, 2008
That is true guys.. thanks so much for the insight. I might just hold till Jan or Feb. BTW which encoder you use and to what format? Settings that take 12 hr must be incredibly high incl filters. I hear the Nvdia 9000 series and the new 260+ does help encoding. Is that only for filters or the encoding process as well?

I encode and then keep the dvds in case the kids get them damaged so it is served using the PS3 to watch their kids movie.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
That is true guys.. thanks so much for the insight. I might just hold till Jan or Feb. BTW which encoder you use and to what format? Settings that take 12 hr must be incredibly high incl filters. I hear the Nvdia 9000 series and the new 260+ does help encoding. Is that only for filters or the encoding process as well?

I encode and then keep the dvds in case the kids get them damaged so it is served using the PS3 to watch their kids movie.

I use TMPGEnc to encode my home videos of the kids for the grandparents. I love the fact that with the TMPG mpeg2 algorithm you can run 5-6mbit compression and yet the video still looks great.

Only downside of course is you got to run lots of motion searching to avoiding blurring, so setting those extra bits takes the encoder quite a bit of time. The upside is I manage about 4-5hrs on a single DVD for the grandparents instead of mailing out 2-3 dvd's to cover the same footage.

And yeah there's a bunch of filters in there to compensate for the lousy (by today's standards) camcorder I have.

12hrs is for encoding from avi to mpeg2 for DVD. Does not include the mpeg2 to VOB for DVD authoring...that time is minimal, maybe another 15-20 minutes.

This is with a QX6700 running at stock 2.66GHz.

pectin

Nov 10, 2008
i used to use tmpgenc doing the same as yours.... but then changed to xvid4psp 5.0+ I use x264 which is not bad as well. I encode most at 720+ though tv accepts 1080p but since kids do not watch shows all the time I encode that medium quality which is enough... and use tversity to serve to ps3.... they sometimes watch 1 title dozens of time....which I am working on other things... and oracle sometimes bog things down a lot... that is why I thought of upgrading.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
they sometimes watch 1 title dozens of time....

Ha ha, kids are all the same I swear. I have seen The Little Mermaid more times than any procreating male should ever admit to :D

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I like the eVGA 780 and QX9650!!!

:X

there are better things...

much much better things....

Trust me...

pectin

Nov 10, 2008
funny I have also seen little mermaid since she was 3 till now 8..... 4 dvd loss so now I just encode it and save the dvds haha....these are precious times in our lives.... so fast yet seems like yesterday. Sorry to have gone to a tangent..... the q9550 works well with which mobo? The P5 from Asus or the gigabyte?

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
OP, you also need to keep in mind running oracle on a home computer will definitely slow things down. Most are not optimized for server loads from HD to motherboard. Anyways, if you just developing not too much problem. Still I'd just upgrade the cpu to Q9550 and overclock it.

jjrowley

Oct 31, 2008
my q9550 and p5q deluxe are sitting at a 3.8 OC. doesn't go over 55C max load and multi-tasks like a champ. Once you get past 3.8 you really have to raise the voltage a ton to get it stable. not worth it in my view, but 1.35v for a 1GHz OC is made of win in my books.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JAG87
as far as buggy, no. I've never seen a buggy intel platform, even right at launch. intel sells millions of chips to OEMs, they cant afford shit like that.

Pentium 90 FPU bug
Pentium 3 1 Ghz chronic overheating
When Intel 1st implemented the idea of having a CPU serial number, it could allegedly be read remotely by hackers
Back in the 486 days, a large # of motherboards that Intel claimed would support Intel OverDrive CPU upgrade umm, didn't.

These are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head...

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: aigomorla
I like the eVGA 780 and QX9650!!!

:X

there are better things...

much much better things....

Trust me...

I beg to differ, it all depends what your needs are. My needs are to push 4 million pixels of gaming bliss into my eyes, and besides nehalem + 3-way SLI (which not only would not benefit me since I use vsync, but is also a potential fire hazard), there isn't anything better really.

Sure if you need to encode and do 3d rendering there are way better things, like a nice gainestown setup *cough cough*. I trust you, but that statement thrown like that is not very appropriate.

Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
Originally posted by: JAG87

Pentium 90 FPU bug
Pentium 3 1 Ghz chronic overheating
When Intel 1st implemented the idea of having a CPU serial number, it could allegedly be read remotely by hackers
Back in the 486 days, a large # of motherboards that Intel claimed would support Intel OverDrive CPU upgrade umm, didn't.

These are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head...

ok lately... sheeeesh.

pectin

Nov 10, 2008
I think when doing gaming it is quite similar to say oracle, photoshop, 3-D... in some ways gaming specs are very important. If the cpu+memory+ mb works fast it is similar to daily... as it will give me an indicator of its performance. 4 million pixels then tells me I do not have to worry much in terms of the graphics portion as in a gaming platform.... maybe some. I would love to play Crysis or other similar but lack of time..... 8). That is why I like listening to others and following their setups.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
you can also invest some cash in a good video card. many program like phtoshop cs4 will use it to accelerate things. unfortunately x264 doesn't use video card acceleration at all plus it's good for games.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
We won't know the ans to the OPs Question . Until

1) We see hydra chips on X58 m/Bs

2) Until we see Intels Larrabee working with the game project offset. This will give us a true idea of the value of the platform. Many things going on here we have to see if intel gets all the ducks lined up.

209Mason

Nov 11, 2008
I need some help in understanding the "Tick-tock" model...

I guess my big question is... is it better to buy on a "tick" or on a "tock"?
If I buy a Nehalem (core i7) processor at 45nm.... and next year on the "tick" they bust out the 32nm chips and boards, will that mean I've gone as far as I can as far as upgrading is concerned?

If I'm understanding it right, hitting on a "tick" (ie 2009) with the new silicon process (32nm) will allow me to cash in on the benifits of the "tock" since it's also built on the 32nm process. Does this mean I have 2 years worth of upgrading capability as opposed to 1 (when buying on a tick), or will each tick and tock require an essentially new setup?

If I'm way off, let me know, ha.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Idontcare
they sometimes watch 1 title dozens of time....

Ha ha, kids are all the same I swear. I have seen The Little Mermaid more times than any procreating male should ever admit to :D

Yep Thomas the tank engine . Is everyday at granda pas home. I like thomas good for kids. Better for adults maybe.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: 209Mason

If I buy a Nehalem (core i7) processor at 45nm.... and next year on the "tick" they bust out the 32nm chips and boards, will that mean I've gone as far as I can as far as upgrading is concerned?

If I'm understanding it right, hitting on a "tick" (ie 2009) with the new silicon process (32nm) will allow me to cash in on the benifits of the "tock" since it's also built on the 32nm process. Does this mean I have 2 years worth of upgrading capability as opposed to 1 (when buying on a tick), or will each tick and tock require an essentially new setup?

Either one your a winner. If ya started with 65nm C2D and didn't do Penryn . IC7 is a good step up . If you got penryn . Maybe waiting on westmere is the way to go . Either way its good. Its all good. I would still wait for M/Bs with hydra chip.

209Mason

Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1

Either one your a winner. If ya started with 65nm C2D and didn't do Penryn . IC7 is a good step up . If you got penryn . Maybe waiting on westmere is the way to go . Either way its good. Its all good. I would still wait for M/Bs with hydra chip.

lol... boy you're going to laugh... I'm rocking the first build I ever did (back in 2001) an Athlon 1900!... Finally got to the point where I can't play anything released in the past couple years really. Trying to decide to go with a Q6600, a core i7, or wait for the 32nm....
But don't want to have to do a complete rebuild in a couple years again.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I don't know what this guy is talking about, I have never seen a NON buggy platform at launch. from intel or others. with the exception of the business class hardware (aka, costs thosands of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars, for the same overall performance).

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1

lol... boy you're going to laugh... I'm rocking the first build I ever did (back in 2001) an Athlon 1900!... Finally got to the point where I can't play anything released in the past couple years really. Trying to decide to go with a Q6600, a core i7, or wait for the 32nm....
But don't want to have to do a complete rebuild in a couple years again.

Than its aesy decision for you . Go IC7 920 with a great X58m/b . Your future proof . Just switch processors your good to go.

My wifes Kent is running @ 3.85 mine won't run there. So we tested her kent against IC7 965 at 3.85. The performance and power usage diffearance is dramatic. To say the least.

Byte

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2000
I'm interested to know if the slowdown from the streaming is actually not enough cores or the storage subsystem. Maybe another HDD or SCSI or even SSD?

I'm dying to upgrade my C2D @ a sad 2.13ghz, its a sad chip, i think it can only go to 2.66ghz but i'm too lazy to even run it at that. Maybe i'll just get a 9550 or something thats $250 and call it a day since it will be $200 for mobo and $200 for ram just to get to the 7 platform. Win7 is also a good point to upgrade too, though prebeta it runs so fast on crap hardware right now, i don't even think we need to upgrade for the OS.