Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
BUT the people already wanting to re-elect him are nieve or nuts.
The 2012 election will be incredibly boring in comparison to 2008. If Obama runs, he'll get re-elected. It's that simple. Call your bookie and get in while the odds will still give you a marginal profit right now.

In 2012, the GOP will concentrate on restoring some of their power in Congress...another futile effort, but still a much better shot than they have at winning the White House.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The 2012 election will be incredibly boring in comparison to 2008. If Obama runs, he'll get re-elected. It's that simple. Call your bookie and get in while the odds will still give you a marginal profit right now.

Quite a foolish prediction, considering he's been on the job less than a week and has an enormous backlog of promises to fulfill and a real pile of crap handed to him by Bush. Not to mention the man has yet to prove he has what it takes to do the job.

Getting up and making rah-rah speeches was the easy part. Now it's time to actual sit down and do to job. Considering the enormous amount of hype behind Obama, the potential for an equal or greater amount of bashlash is quite plausible if he does not live up to the hype.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
BUT the people already wanting to re-elect him are nieve or nuts.

In 2012, the GOP will concentrate on restoring some of their power in Congress...another futile effort, but still a much better shot than they have at winning the White House.

take off the goggles and look again.

you guys wanting to say he is going to be relected again are foolish. Lets see what he does (and what happens) in the next 4 years before people decide.

this is my biggest issue with Obama. hsi fallowers are fucking insane.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse
I'm an Obama supporter, but I'm still going to side with CAD on this one -- I really think it's fucked up that he decided to allow lobbyists inside the whitehouse after stating that he would not. "Compromise" my ass... he lied.

as an obama supporter, you should be the one to be offended.. I SINCERELY WISH that he will NOT make due on most his promises... for me many broken promises by him a cause for celebration... for an obama supporter, they are betrayel...

Although I certainly agree with SOME of his policies and think they are great...

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: retrospooty

Dang dood... do you get along with anyone in real life?

Yep, pretty much everyone. There are only a handfull of people I know who I will purposely not associate with again and I can guarantee 3 of them are very Conservative. However politics has nothing to do with why I won't associate with them. But more to the point, I have quite a few liberal friends but you see, they aren't irrational like some of you here. They support BHO, disliked Bush - but were rational enough to realize both are just politicians.

I think most people realize that... You don't get the best of anyone on a forum like this. As I type that, I realize I should apply that same logic to you. I am sure you are much more rational and personable in your real life than you are here on the forum, so I apologize.

Back on topic... alot of stuff is said while campaigning, and alot of promises cant be kept due to the fact that the economy took a crap all over us. There just isnt going to be as much money as anyone thought... But there is one thing Obama has damn well better do is stay in the middle. If he bows down to those idiots Pelosi and Reid and let them do thier dirtywork it will be the end of my support for him, and the dems. I think he will do the right thing, and i remain positive. They are just freegin aweful. Pelosi/Reid are to the dems what Bush was to the reps... Poison, in a position of power.

And likewise, I would image some of you irrational leftists here are a bit more sane in the real world... atleast I "hope".

I don't care about the whys or whos or whatever. The FACT is - he broke it and the site gives him a pass.
How about this one?

Enact a Windfall Profits Tax to Provide a $1,000 Emergency Energy Rebate to American Families: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will enact a windfall profits tax on excessive oil company profits to give American families an immediate $1,000 emergency energy rebate to help families pay rising bills.

Maybe we need to tap on the Obameter. Heh heh.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999

Right on. To me Obama is like Apple. I like Apple products but I hate Apple users. I like Obama but I hate his followers. They're all from the same cut, pretty much.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Chris

Right on. To me Obama is like Apple. I like Apple products but I hate Apple users. I like Obama but I hate his followers. They're all from the same cut, pretty much.

Yes, all 63 million people that voted for him are the same.

Why what the followers of a politician would in any way affect what someone thought of that person is beyond me.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Yes, all N million people that own Apple computers are the same :roll: I was obviously talking about the fanatics (Maclots vs Obmatons).

Why what the followers of a politician would in any way affect what someone thought of that person is beyond me.

Read the post again. I like Obama. I hate the fucking nut job hopium heads that fanatically evangelism him on the net and in real life.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Chris
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Yes, all N million people that own Apple computers are the same :roll: I was obviously talking about the fanatics (Maclots vs Obmatons).

Read the post again. I like Obama. I hate the fucking nut job hopium heads that fanatically evangelism him on the net and in real life.

My post was more referencing what you quoted, in that our good friend waggy's largest problem with a politician is the people who like him.

The whole accusation of "Obamatons" is pretty absurd at this point anyway. It's not that the guy can do no wrong, it's that he really hasn't done much wrong yet. I mean seriously, the guy has been in office 5 days, and so far the things he has done have been really easy. It's not hard to get behind a guy whose predecessor was so bad that he gets softballs like getting to sign an order where the US doesn't run secret illegal torture prisons anymore. How can people not be excited about this change?

People are just becoming used to defending the guy due to the insane avalanche of retarded shit the right has tried to shovel at him. If the right were smart, they would wait for him to actually screw up... because he most certainly will.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Ozoned

Dang dood... do you get along with anyone in real life?

Yep, pretty much everyone. There are only a handfull of people I know who I will purposely not associate with again and I can guarantee 3 of them are very Conservative. However politics has nothing to do with why I won't associate with them. But more to the point, I have quite a few liberal friends but you see, they aren't irrational like some of you here. They support BHO, disliked Bush - but were rational enough to realize both are just politicians.

I think most people realize that... You don't get the best of anyone on a forum like this. As I type that, I realize I should apply that same logic to you. I am sure you are much more rational and personable in your real life than you are here on the forum, so I apologize.

Back on topic... alot of stuff is said while campaigning, and alot of promises cant be kept due to the fact that the economy took a crap all over us. There just isnt going to be as much money as anyone thought... But there is one thing Obama has damn well better do is stay in the middle. If he bows down to those idiots Pelosi and Reid and let them do thier dirtywork it will be the end of my support for him, and the dems. I think he will do the right thing, and i remain positive. They are just freegin aweful. Pelosi/Reid are to the dems what Bush was to the reps... Poison, in a position of power.

And likewise, I would image some of you irrational leftists here are a bit more sane in the real world... atleast I "hope".

I don't care about the whys or whos or whatever. The FACT is - he broke it and the site gives him a pass.
How about this one?

Enact a Windfall Profits Tax to Provide a $1,000 Emergency Energy Rebate to American Families: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will enact a windfall profits tax on excessive oil company profits to give American families an immediate $1,000 emergency energy rebate to help families pay rising bills.

Maybe we need to tap on the Obameter. Heh heh.
Wow, I really figured at least one of the "Obamatons" would address this.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Barack Obama and Joe Biden's Plan
Restore Fiscal Discipline to Washington

Reinstate PAYGO Rules: Obama and Biden believe that a critical step in restoring fiscal discipline is enforcing pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) budgeting rules which require new spending commitments or tax changes to be paid for by cuts to other programs or new revenue.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My BS Meter just exploded!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
So calendar year drawing to a close. Here's where we are:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/
Kept: 75
Compromise: 20
Broken: 9
Stalled: 43
In the works: 206
No rating yet: 160

So over 100 out of 500 promises addressed, one way or the other. At that pace he seems to be on track to address the remainder. I imagine more will be possible after health care lets some air back in the room.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
So over 100 out of 500 promises addressed, one way or the other. At that pace he seems to be on track to address the remainder. I imagine more will be possible after health care lets some air back in the room.

Like a public option?
End insurance discrimination for those with pre existing conditions only to have them discriminated against by the federal government?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Obama wins the healthcare war against the GOP

economy will turn around since it is already doing so

look for the culture wars to get into full swing with Sarah Palin leading the way along with the tea bagged crowd

She is still yelling "death panels" to anyone willing to listen

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008

economy will turn around since it is already doing so

look for the culture wars to get into full swing with Sarah Palin leading the way along with the tea bagged crowd

She is still yelling "death panels" to anyone willing to listen

And we'll only be 40 trillion in debt! Yippie!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
he got legislation passed that's likely going to do nothing but give insurance companies more money and expended a shitton of his political capital in doing so... is that really a win?

if democratic poll numbers tank because of it, you can sure bet that a lot of those "in progress" or pending promises are going to get forgotten about in the quest to save their seats.

doing something like acting against DOMA or DA/DT was a gamble when Obama had a 70% approval rating; I'd be flabbergasted if he tried to get something moved through congress with his approval rating in the 40's

Last edited:

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
he got legislation passed that's likely going to do nothing but give insurance companies more money and expended a shitton of his political capital in doing so... is that really a win?

if democratic poll numbers tank because of it, you can sure bet that a lot of those "in progress" or pending promises are going to get forgotten about in the quest to save their seats.

doing something like acting against DOMA or DA/DT was a gamble when Obama had a 70% approval rating; I'd be flabbergasted if he tried to get something moved through congress with his approval rating in the 40's

What do you mean "if Democratic poll numbers tank"?
They have tanked. The approval rating of Obama is well under 50%.
The approval rating of congress is something below 30%.
The approval rating for this travesty of a health care bill is below 40%.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
The Obameter

For those of you interested in keeping track of how many campaign promises he keeps.

http://www1.chicagoreader.com/obama/951208/

Obama said he's not at all comfortable with the political game of getting and staying elected, of raising money in backroom deals and manipulating an electable image.

Want to keep track of campaign promises? Go ahead and waste your time. The experts have figured out that they really don't matter.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What do you mean "if Democratic poll numbers tank"?
They have tanked. The approval rating of Obama is well under 50%.
The approval rating of congress is something below 30%.
The approval rating for this travesty of a health care bill is below 40%.

Yeah guys, Obama's approval ratings have tanked. His approval rating today according to Gallup is 50%, THREE ENTIRE POINTS below the share of the vote he got on election day. He should probably just resign now.

Congressional job approval is at about 27%. This is terrible. In fact it's only ten points higher than the 17% that it was in November 2008 when the Democrats greatly increased their majorities in both houses of Congress.

You should be a political pundit Patranus, your grasp of trends is truly dizzying.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Yeah guys, Obama's approval ratings have tanked. His approval rating today according to Gallup is 50%, THREE ENTIRE POINTS below the share of the vote he got on election day. He should probably just resign now.

Congressional job approval is at about 27%. This is terrible. In fact it's only ten points higher than the 17% that it was in November 2008 when the Democrats greatly increased their majorities in both houses of Congress.

You should be a political pundit Patranus, your grasp of trends is truly dizzying.

Um. Using your logic, Obama got 70% of the vote because that is what his approval rating was when he entered office.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Um. Using your logic, Obama got 70% of the vote because that is what his approval rating was when he entered office.

Ya think it had anything to do with the buffoon that vacated the office? Obama still needs to thank him for that Nobel award. :awe:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
So calendar year drawing to a close. Here's where we are:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/
Kept: 75
Compromise: 20
Broken: 9
Stalled: 43
In the works: 206
No rating yet: 160

Pretty much an average record for any US President.

There is an IMO disturbing trend among Americans today to think of the President as some kind of all-powerful monarch, someone who wields tremendous power and who is capable of making sweeping changes. In reality, that could not be further from the truth. The US President actually has very little power as head of state (although considerably more than the average citizen), is mostly dependent on his backers to stay in power, and really is little more than a figurehead. Mostly, he is the spokesman for those who are in power, which are the entrenched bureaucrats.