Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I'm an Obama supporter, but I'm still going to side with CAD on this one -- I really think it's fucked up that he decided to allow lobbyists inside the whitehouse after stating that he would not. "Compromise" my ass... he lied.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: cliftonite
Lets impeach him.

yep, that's exactly what I was suggesting... :roll:

God you're fucking dense.. I just provided you a link in which he nuanced his position one month before anyone ever voted in the election. You have a right to change positions before anyone votes, don't you? Or are we going to find policy positions of his from even earlier, digging again through his kindergarten papers perhaps?

edit: let me add that I don't even think this counts has changing positions but accepted that premise for the sake of argument

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I think they missed the one about hiring lobbyists.

How about the one that said we'd not be the World's Policeman or get into the business of Nation Building....wait wrong President..Opps:eek:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Farang
Lets impeach him.

God you're fucking dense.. I just provided you a link in which he nuanced his position one month before anyone ever voted in the election. You have a right to change positions before anyone votes, don't you? Or are we going to find policy positions of his from even earlier, digging again through his kindergarten papers perhaps?

edit: let me add that I don't even think this counts has changing positions but accepted that premise for the sake of argument

No, you're F'n dense. Let me repeat - HE CAMPAIGNED STATING THAT. Yes, I understand people change(or in the case of liberals - nuance) positions but he got traction because of that statement and to ignore that reality suggests you are nothing but an apologist. Even then with his "nuanced" position he still didn't deliver and but yet it's claimed as a "compromise". Face it - he hired lobbyists - something he claimed he wouldn't. Sure, he's likely done better than past Presidents since the lobbyists became a huge force in politics(note my statement in the other thread about this) but it doesn't mean he didn't break his promise.

BTW, what does cliftonite's post and my reply have to do with your reply?

Good to see PH has some rationality even as a BHO supporter.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
What about campaign financing?

He said he would run with public funds if his opponent did. Obama broke that promise.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: OFFascist

He said he would run with public funds if his opponent did. Obama broke that promise.
I'm sure that's a promise his supporters were glad he broke (especially the ones that donated record breaking amounts of money so he would demolish McPalin).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The site is tracking promises for governance, not promises for how he would act on the campaign trail. He did break that promise, but it's just not what they are looking at.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Lets impeach him.

No, you're F'n dense. Let me repeat - HE CAMPAIGNED STATING THAT. Yes, I understand people change(or in the case of liberals - nuance) positions but he got traction because of that statement and to ignore that reality suggests you are nothing but an apologist. Even then with his "nuanced" position he still didn't deliver and but yet it's claimed as a "compromise". Face it - he hired lobbyists - something he claimed he wouldn't. Sure, he's likely done better than past Presidents since the lobbyists became a huge force in politics(note my statement in the other thread about this) but it doesn't mean he didn't break his promise.

Dang dood... do you get along with anyone in real life?

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

How about the one that said we'd not be the World's Policeman or get into the business of Nation Building....wait wrong President..Opps:eek:

Nope - You got the right one. Obama is policing Pakistan.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Buh buh Bush! God, you guys have a hardon for this guy.

I was reading this Maureen Dowd column...that bitch has a schoolgirl crush on the Big W.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

Nope - You got the right one. Obama is policing Pakistan.

And nation-building in Afghanistan and Iraq.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: retrospooty

Yep, pretty much everyone. There are only a handfull of people I know who I will purposely not associate with again and I can guarantee 3 of them are very Conservative. However politics has nothing to do with why I won't associate with them. But more to the point, I have quite a few liberal friends but you see, they aren't irrational like some of you here. They support BHO, disliked Bush - but were rational enough to realize both are just politicians.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
I wonder what the score ended up being from GWB in 2000? :laugh:
I am guessing it would be a lot better than you would think.

The reasons for Bush's unpopularity are not related to broken campaign promises. Bush's popularity didn't really go south till 2005-6 when the war finally started to bother people.

Clinton on the other hand broke a main campaign promise (middle class tax cut) and paid for it dearly in the 1994 mid term elections.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I expect Obama won't be able to carry through with many of his bigger promises, but I'm not sure it even matters anymore. People realize that the most important thing is ending the recession.

So why did he continue promising these things even after he knew that he wouldn't be able to deliver? Because if he had admitted that during the middle of his campaign it would have been electoral suicide. He'd have instantly been painted as a "flip-flopper" and a breaker of promises and blah blah blah.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Not that it's really a bid deal at all, but Obama DID break the promise about the lobbyists. The ORIGINAL promise that he made was that he would not hire them, period. I don't know why some of you are getting so defensive over it, it's really not a big deal, obviously he's going to break some promises, no one expects him to be perfect.

Sedition

Dec 23, 2008
Lets impeach him.

Yes... He hired a former Anti-Kids Smoking lobbyist (does that even count) and a Weapons/Defense Contractor Lobbyist to the Dept of Defense... The Defense position at the request of one of the republicans he appointed

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: JD50
Not that it's really a bid deal at all, but Obama DID break the promise about the lobbyists. The ORIGINAL promise that he made was that he would not hire them, period. I don't know why some of you are getting so defensive over it, it's really not a big deal, obviously he's going to break some promises, no one expects him to be perfect.

On the contrary, a few libs expect him to be perfect. Perfect in the sense that he can do no wrong. Any mistake will be considered a "growing pain"...some libs honestly believe this based on their actions. Which is understandable- I'd hate it if someone dared belittle my god too. Natch, to some libs, putting down obama is akin to leaving a skidmark on a page of a bible.

Alternatively, some libs are afraid that any nick or scratch on His Highness' Golden Reputation will be magnified 100x by the right. Said libs try as hard as they can - and still end up failing miserably - in their attempts to hide these surface blemishes. They do this through petty misdirection, duh-versionary tactics, or my favorite, whiny personal attacks on the user. In some cases, the lib post usually ends with something negative about Bush W.(usually a comparison of some sort) plus a few non witty modifications on the words "Republican", "conservative", and/or "Right" are peppered in for good measure.

the problem with this type of response is the lack of focus placed on the issue. This action is demonstrative of the poster's lack of desire for rational thought. Any insight will be lost on both the poster and the reader because of this.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002

Yep, pretty much everyone. There are only a handfull of people I know who I will purposely not associate with again and I can guarantee 3 of them are very Conservative. However politics has nothing to do with why I won't associate with them. But more to the point, I have quite a few liberal friends but you see, they aren't irrational like some of you here. They support BHO, disliked Bush - but were rational enough to realize both are just politicians.

I think most people realize that... You don't get the best of anyone on a forum like this. As I type that, I realize I should apply that same logic to you. I am sure you are much more rational and personable in your real life than you are here on the forum, so I apologize.

Back on topic... alot of stuff is said while campaigning, and alot of promises cant be kept due to the fact that the economy took a crap all over us. There just isnt going to be as much money as anyone thought... But there is one thing Obama has damn well better do is stay in the middle. If he bows down to those idiots Pelosi and Reid and let them do thier dirtywork it will be the end of my support for him, and the dems. I think he will do the right thing, and i remain positive. They are just freegin aweful. Pelosi/Reid are to the dems what Bush was to the reps... Poison, in a position of power.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I think most people realize that... You don't get the best of anyone on a forum like this. As I type that, I realize I should apply that same logic to you. I am sure you are much more rational and personable in your real life than you are here on the forum, so I apologize.

Back on topic... alot of stuff is said while campaigning, and alot of promises cant be kept due to the fact that the economy took a crap all over us. There just isnt going to be as much money as anyone thought... But there is one thing Obama has damn well better do is stay in the middle. If he bows down to those idiots Pelosi and Reid and let them do thier dirtywork it will be the end of my support for him, and the dems. I think he will do the right thing, and i remain positive. They are just freegin aweful. Pelosi/Reid are to the dems what Bush was to the reps... Poison, in a position of power.

And likewise, I would image some of you irrational leftists here are a bit more sane in the real world... atleast I "hope".

I don't care about the whys or whos or whatever. The FACT is - he broke it and the site gives him a pass.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

GIFT

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton

I'm sure that's a promise his supporters were glad he broke (especially the ones that donated record breaking amounts of money so he would demolish McPalin).

so what fi people are glad he broke it. fact is he lied. granted its not a big one or one people should really care about. but lets not suger coat it.

Originally posted by: jpeyton
Wow, he's kicking ass already :thumbsup:

I wonder what sacrificial lamb the Republicants are going to nominate for 2012?

oh please. NOT one of the "kept" is a suprise or major. Lets give him time to see how fast he ends the war. ordering his military leaders to end it is not the same as ending it.

as for the other 4 he kept big deal. those don't impress me much.

I am not saying he is a Bad President or will be. I suspect and hope that he is considered one of the best ever (right now the nation needs it). BUT the people already wanting to re-elect him are nieve or nuts.

Im not going to say he is great or a wash. lets see how his first year goes before we decide to build a monument of him or start impeachment trial eh?