Toyota bailing on California going to Texas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I am concerned that if enough liberals move to Texas they are going to approve a state income tax, which is probably a reason why they came to Texas to start with.

You think that masses of people are moving to Texas mainly because there is no income tax but the exact same mass of people are going to vote themselves an income tax at some later date??? Wow, thats a pretty big stretch.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Please expand on this. :hmm:

BLM land grab on the red river.

Challenging any change to voting districts.

Justice department blocking voter ID laws.

Obama waited several months before declaring disaster area after explosion

FEMA did not want to help after Texas wildfires several years ago.

Obama administration not helping stop illegal immigration.

Obama administration releasing illegals onto Texas streets.

No criminal charges after the BP oil spill.

You think that masses of people are moving to Texas mainly because there is no income tax but the exact same mass of people are going to vote themselves an income tax at some later date??? Wow, thats a pretty big stretch.

Not really that big of a stretch.

Even though people flee what they do not like, they usually enact what they know.

Last edited:

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Which is kind of ironic considering how poorly Texas does when it comes to k-12 education...

Public school system is screwed anyways, even the students from a "good" K-12 schools in CA are nothing compared on a global level. Charter schools are raising the standards and all big cities in TX have plenty of them

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
BLM land grab on the red river.

yawn

Challenging any change to voting districts.

As they should be. Texas has been gerrymandered to hell and back in an attempt to dilute power held by the big cities:

113Congress.png

This is a huge part of the problem with Texas politics.

Justice department blocking voter ID laws.

They really should be examined thoroughly before any implementation.

Yeah, that was shitty, but it was eventually declared a disaster area, right?

FEMA did not want to help after Texas wildfires several years ago.

That was over-exaggerated, and FEMA did kick in a substantial amount of cash to assist in the cleanup.

Obama administration not helping stop illegal immigration.

Obama administration releasing illegals onto Texas streets.

No criminal charges after the BP oil spill.

Now you're just stretching...

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Thats a pretty blanket statement. I am sure people live where they are happiest for the most part. Money isn't everything. California, obviously, has a lot to offer that Texas does not. And likewise.

Well, are you sad to see jobs leaving CA and moving to a place where standard of living is poorer? don't be, there is nothing we can do to stop private companies from taking steps to maximize their profit at the cost of their employees'. Take solace in the fact that atleast the jobs are not leaving US

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
While I understand TX has a better political climate than CA, there's also this reason:

The U.S. branch picked Los Angeles for its first headquarters because of proximity to the port complex — where it imported cars — and easy airline access to Tokyo.

As Toyota grew, it opened its national sales and marketing headquarters in Torrance in 1982. The complex was built where its parts distribution warehouse was once located.
But today, about 75% of Toyota-brand vehicles sold in the U.S. are built in North America — many of them at plants in Texas, Mississippi and Kentucky. Moving the U.S. corporate headquarters to Texas puts senior management closer to those factories.

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...s-move-20140428,0,1494791.story#ixzz30DkJtjQb

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Hmm, I'm going to be buying a new car soon, guess I can scratch Toyota off the list. I try to avoid sending money to that civil rights black hole that is Texas.

Im sure you dont buy anything made in Asia, South America, or Africa as well, right?

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
You are the one grasping at straws.

I am getting sick and tired of Texas not being able pass our own laws without the federal government doing something to get in the way.

You're saying I don't have a single valid argument? :rolleyes:

Texas has plenty of laws that the Feds don't challenge. The ones that do get challenged are the ones that are likely to be unconstitutional.

I'd rather be taxed on what I spend than what I earned.

I would too, but that's because I'm fairly well off. Sales tax is regressive though, which is why I oppose it.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Good for them. Ca essentially forced them to move via their liberal policies and taxes. A win/win for a free state and Toyota.

It's a loss for Kentucky as the manufacturing headquarters is located here.

Last edited:

row

May 28, 2013
hope toyota doesn't take the skanky ass progressives with them. it would diminish the smack-a-leftist-pool with which i get to pick from :hmm:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Living and working in CA you have a sunshine tax. Surprised more businesses don't move.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Pretty much, yea.

Which means you can't come up with an argument to refute mine.

Don't even start with this unconstitutional bull crap.

Should I list the crimes against humanity the supreme court has upheld? Such as slavery and forced sterilization?

You keep bringing this line of reasoning up as though past transgressions excuse current ones.

Or is it just that you don't believe the U.S. Constitution is valid? :colbert:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Which means you can't come up with an argument to refute mine.

You keep bringing this line of reasoning up as though past transgressions excuse current ones.

Or is it just that you don't believe the U.S. Constitution is valid? :colbert:

The constitution doesn't apply to states. So in that regard it isn't valid.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
While I understand TX has a better political climate than CA, there's also this reason:
Toyota already moved its parts manufacturing and truck manufacturing out of CA. All could be for the same reasons. A friend I know who works for Hino (Toy's truck division) told me that move was for multiple reasons, but an unfavorable business climate in CA and better conditions elsewhere were high on the list. Hino now manufactures in WV- my friend's management-level job was moved to Michigan. Even Detroit is more business friendly than CA!

By the way of several people I know personally who've moved out of CA for their work, to TX, NV,AZ, MI, OH etc not one is worse off than they were in CA... in fact they all live better, have bigger homes, and are way better off financially than they were here due to lower cost of living. The only thing any of them miss is the weather.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
The constitution doesn't apply to states. So in that regard it isn't valid.

Look up incorporation doctrine. Stop making statements about things you know nothing about.

In fact, either put on the court jester's hat or stop posting here...