Town votes down tax increase, no police coverage at night and weekends leads to rape

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Although no coverage at any time is unheard of, evenings and weekends seem like an especially bad time to not have police coverage. They should re-think their scheduling if they are this short-handed.

It sounds to me that the sheriff is just pissed off and wants to teach the taxpayers a lesson. You can still arrest people ffs.

I'm not saying that might not be a part of the reason but it does cost money to lock people up. Watch them, feed them, etc... So if you arrest someone that eats into what little money you do have.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
If the tax rate were set to 100% across the board, I bet stuff like this would still happen. Why? Governments just aren't very good at fiscal management. A lot of it gets eaten up through waste, pork, interest on debts, and bloated bureaucracy. Stuff that there's little political will to cut.

Cutting police service is a clever scare tactic to get people to support the tax increase. I'd really like to see their actual financial statements. Problem is when you ask governments for full financial disclosure, as is required for any other public corporation, they get very protective. Hey, if you've got nothing to hide...

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
If the tax rate were set to 100% across the board, I bet stuff like this would still happen. Why? Governments just aren't very good at fiscal management. A lot of it gets eaten up through waste, pork, interest on debts, and bloated bureaucracy. Stuff that there's little political will to cut.

Cutting police service is a clever scare tactic to get people to support the tax increase. I'd really like to see their actual financial statements. Problem is when you ask governments for full financial disclosure, as is required for any other public corporation, they get very protective. Hey, if you've got nothing to hide...

[[Citation Needed]]

Then why is it when something that is private vs. public the private cost more?
Private Prisons cost more per person than gov run ones. Overhead cost of health care is lower with the Gov than private. And so forth.

WTF are you talking about. Just walk to the gov office, its public record. I got a copy just by asking.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
TEMPLETON: The call came in on a Saturday at 4:58 in the morning. None of the sheriff's deputies in Josephine County were on duty. So dispatch transferred the call to the Oregon State Police, but they also didn't have anyone available.

What's the dispatcher going to do, insist someone is available even when the OSP says otherwise? :whiste:

Ah wait, so this whole flap isn't about a muni PD, it's about the county sheriff's office?

Yeah, the sheriff needs to be fired, stat. Poor budgeting aside, there's absolutely NO excuse for any county in the US to pull all of its deputies off duty, ever.

I'd be willing to bet that sheriff makes a pretty fat paycheck too, probably enough to pay at least 5 deputies per year. Why didn't HE respond to the call?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
wow..

just another reason to have a gun for home defense. that's one fucked up story

Seriously. How do you not have any weapon in your house?! Plus, it's the female's fault for hooking up with the rapist in the 1st place, and leading him on. This would never happen if the female didn't show interest in the rapist in the beginning. It's totally the female's fault. This has nothing to do with the police department budget cut.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It was transferred to the Oregon State Police, they also had no one in that area.
Dispatch did what they could, but if no one is there no one is there.

Oregon is not a small state so just happended at the time no one was near that area at the time. They did come but it was a while due to distance.

So really you are agreeing with Spungo. She should have had a gun.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Seriously. How do you not have any weapon in your house?! Plus, it's the female's fault for hooking up with the rapist in the 1st place, and leading him on. This would never happen if the female didn't show interest in the rapist in the beginning. It's totally the female's fault. This has nothing to do with the police department budget cut.

You mean a rape whistle doesn't count as a weapon?

And she was probably too busy downing as much water as she could so she could urinate on him to deter the sexual assault. ():)

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
The police have no duty to protect you. Ask the three women who got raped for 14 hours in the Warren v. DC case about that.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Sure you have you liar.

Show me anyone, except a far out fringe candidate, who is advocating that people should not be allowed to keep a gun in their home for self defense?

Gun nuts with their crazy conspiracy theories should go to P&N

Conscript

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2001
Why are they paying a dispatcher if they have no resources to dispatch? Saved money right there!

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Show me anyone, except a far out fringe candidate, who is advocating that people should not be allowed to keep a gun in their home for self defense?

Gun nuts with their crazy conspiracy theories should go to P&N

Senator Feinstein said on CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it."

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Am I allowed to point out the obvious?
1) No police are available, and
2) Liberals take away guns and say "call the police," therefore
3) Liberals want women to be raped.
no you don't understand, liberals want to take away your guns, but they also want you to pay more taxes instead of bullets and in exchange get more police coverage.

The problem is that this place is getting a bipartisan populistic deal. Republican taxes and democratic laws.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Senator Feinstein said on CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it."

He said far out fringe candidate. Anyone proposing a gun seizure is a far out fringe candidate so it's impossible for Techs to be wrong on this. :awe:

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
i agree.

though that article seemed to leave out a LOT of details. IF she just said "sorry no service because of cuts" and left it at that. then that is major negligence.

I would think she would be on the phone with county and state trying to get someone to her place.

She did. It's right there in the transcript.

TEMPLETON: The call came in on a Saturday at 4:58 in the morning. None of the sheriff's deputies in Josephine County were on duty. So dispatch transferred the call to the Oregon State Police, but they also didn't have anyone available.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
dont worry, they are fully staffed during rush hour to hand out speeding tickets and harass commuters

Well duh, theres money there. For better or worse without those they may have had to cut more hours or people.

People want less tax but still want someone to show up when someone breaks into your house, steals your car, etc... So taxs get cut but they have to be made up for. Sop that cop that is writing tickets makes it so other police can come to your house when you call.

Reminds me of the fire department that requires you to pay the fee to be in their coverage area. And when soneone had a fire but did not pay they were upset that resources were not spent on them to help.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Ah wait, so this whole flap isn't about a muni PD, it's about the county sheriff's office?

Yeah, the sheriff needs to be fired, stat. Poor budgeting aside, there's absolutely NO excuse for any county in the US to pull all of its deputies off duty, ever.

I'd be willing to bet that sheriff makes a pretty fat paycheck too, probably enough to pay at least 5 deputies per year. Why didn't HE respond to the call?

I believe there are only 6 deputies and 1 sheriff for 1600 sq. miles.

Nov 7, 2000
Well duh, theres money there. For better or worse without those they may have had to cut more hours or people.

People want less tax but still want someone to show up when someone breaks into your house, steals your car, etc... So taxs get cut but they have to be made up for. Sop that cop that is writing tickets makes it so other police can come to your house when you call.

Reminds me of the fire department that requires you to pay the fee to be in their coverage area. And when soneone had a fire but did not pay they were upset that resources were not spent on them to help.
so then what are the taxes for? i understand its not black and white like that, but emergency services should be one of the LAST functions that is cut. not even within the police budget, but within all local taxation.

if the government is not keeping us safe, it just should be dissolved.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
so then what are the taxes for? i understand its not black and white like that, but emergency services should be one of the LAST functions that is cut. not even within the police budget, but within all local taxation.

if the government is not keeping us safe, it just should be dissolved.

What taxs. In this case this area has VERY low tax's and they voted down raising them.

Liek I told someone above go ask your city/county for the yearly budget, its public record. You can see where every penny goes. Gov is like most business, employees cost money and the more service you want the more it cost.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
dont worry, they are fully staffed during rush hour to hand out speeding tickets and harass commuters

Why doesn't the county do what all other counties do and hire more officers to write traffic citations to fund the rest of the police?