Town votes down tax increase, no police coverage at night and weekends leads to rape

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Time for a volunteer police association, much like we have voluntary fire departments across this country.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Time for a volunteer police association, much like we have voluntary fire departments across this country.

Voluntary fire departments still require tax money and have some paid employees to function.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Anyway, for all you calling for state police intervention, I thought local government is supposed to be all anyone could need, not oppressive Big State police coming and interfering in our affairs. Next you're going to want federal law enforcement if there are problems that state can't handle like organized crime or political corruption at the state level!

That's just how things work.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Voluntary fire departments still require tax money and have some paid employees to function.

Some do, and the same thing could be done here to increase the effectiveness of the police. It would save money and help to extend protection to citizens.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Please tell me you are joking. Please.

Pretty sure he isn't joking. The good news is these new volunteer police associations can fund themselves with chili dinners and subscription fees. The cops only come if you are subscriber because only those who pay deserve protection. ;)

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Pretty sure he isn't joking. The good news is these new volunteer police associations can fund themselves with chili dinners and subscription fees. The cops only come if you are subscriber because only those who pay deserve protection. ;)

If you think it's funny that a woman was raped because she didn't have protection you're a pretty sick fuck.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The dispatcher failed miserably in his/her duty as the emergency call should have been routed to the sheriff or the state police if the local agency isn't available for coverage at the time.

if the town does not pay for the county to respond to calls why should she route the call the Sheriff?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Wow. I wonder if that complies with state law. I know in Ohio there is a hierarchy that says "If A isn't available, then B takes over, and then C, D...etc" until you get up to the national guard. I suspect the governor is going to raise a giant shit-storm with the county over this.

i dunno, sheriffs have a lot of power, he may tell the governor to fuck off.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Am I allowed to point out the obvious?
1) No police are available, and
2) Liberals take away guns and say "call the police," therefore
3) Liberals want women to be raped.

I'm a short woman and I'm getting a bit concerned with the way things are heading. I'm stick of men telling me I don't need a gun to protect myself against humans that are twice my size and twice as strong (men).

No one has taken away anyones right to own a gun. If you have a felony then you can't own a gun for obvious reasons. If you are mentally ill, or have been involuntarily committed to a psych ward at any time in your life, then you can't own a gun. Those are pretty much good reasons, but beyond some of those reasons, you are well within your rights to buy a gun and own a gun.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
The old saying... when seconds count the police are minutes away...or in this case hours. But dont worry this wont happen again, they can just pass a law against rape, even the legitimate kind, and the issue will be solved. No need to allow citizens to protect them selves, the government will protect you.

Please sign here to help our fight against the 2nd amendment

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
No one has taken away anyones right to own a gun. If you have a felony then you can't own a gun for obvious reasons. If you are mentally ill, or have been involuntarily committed to a psych ward at any time in your life, then you can't own a gun. Those are pretty much good reasons, but beyond some of those reasons, you are well within your rights to buy a gun and own a gun.

You can own the gun, you just have to get rid of the magazine for the gun. Maybe I can load a bullet in the chamber and disable the magazine detect.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
The old saying... when seconds count the police are minutes away...or in this case hours. But dont worry this wont happen again, they can just pass a law against rape, even the legitimate kind, and the issue will be solved. No need to allow citizens to protect them selves, the government will protect you.

Please sign here to help our fight against the 2nd amendment

There are plenty of way to defend yourself. Get to a safe zone, use the call box, blow your whistle, puke on them and when all else fails whip out your deadly ball-point pen.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
There are plenty of way to defend yourself. Get to a safe zone, use the call box, blow your whistle, puke on them and when all else fails whip out your deadly ball-point pen.

Or just tell him not to rape you. Consider printing out some feminist literature you can hand out to potential rapists. ():)

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Digging a little deeper I found the "problem" is that due to Republican deficit hawks the Federal government has not funded the timber payments that this town and others have used to pay for services.
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/03/post_126.html

"The federal government is broke, here," Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said. "We cannot continue to pay counties to not use their federal lands."

And while there was bipartisan support for continuing the program for another year, the challenge will be find - and cut - spending elsewhere in the budget to offset the $270 million need or raise that much in new revenue.

God forbid we don't send $300 million worth of arms to Al-qaeda in Syria and Eqypt. Or how about not studying the effects of alcohol in relation to AIDS transmission in Brazilian prostitutes, or maybe a few less C-17 cargo planes, or make Apple pay their $78 billion they skipped out on, maybe don't send $114 million to farmers to not grow crops, prevent illegal immigrants from claiming EIC when they are not supposed to... saving billions, better oversight on the DOT's Transportation Recovery Acts bid process... which could have save $180 million.... etc, etc, etc...

Did you dig enough to really find the problem or just the first layer that said republican deficit hawks? I know plenty of savings could come from Harry Reid's district from spending he does not want to give up.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
What fool of a person would not own a firearm for home protection? No one deserves to have their home invaded, much less be raped, but I just question the mentality of people who live in a nation where it is legal to own something that can defend yourself from this, but, instead, chose not to, thereby putting all their eggs in the chance and police will protect me baskets.

This is like a textbook example of why people should be armed. The only police needed here were Smith and Wesson.

Chuck

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I wonder if she could get a lawyer who could show that the increase in funding into the contigency budget while cutting the sheriff's budget even further was done to manipulate a future vote.

Is there a potential lawsuit against the county? Whether or not it has a great deal of merit, I'd almost bet that there will be a lawsuit, which is still going to cost the county to defend itself.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What fool of a person would not own a firearm for home protection? No one deserves to have their home invaded, much less be raped, but I just question the mentality of people who live in a nation where it is legal to own something that can defend yourself from this, but, instead, chose not to, thereby putting all their eggs in the chance and police will protect me baskets.

This is like a textbook example of why people should be armed. The only police needed here were Smith and Wesson.

Chuck
Speaking of fools:
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Without even looking at the link, is this the study that grouped in suicide as part of guns having a "negative" of being in the house? Let me guess...it is, isn't it...?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Without even looking at the link, is this the study that grouped in suicide as part of guns having a "negative" of being in the house? Let me guess...it is, isn't it...?
Are you dismissive of that statistic because you don't think kids do stupid things for stupid reasons that seem like a big deal to an impulsive child brain? "Mary dumped me I wish I was dead good thing my dad has a gun *bang*"

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Are you dismissive of that statistic because you don't think kids do stupid things for stupid reasons that seem like a big deal to an impulsive child brain? "Mary dumped me I wish I was dead good thing my dad has a gun *bang*"

No I'm dismissive of it because referencing it has nothing to do with someone legally owning a weapon, properly securing it, and thus having it basically immediately available for when something exactly like this happens.

The "study" would be like arguing we should all ride bikes because people commit killings and suicide with vehicles, hence no one should have them. It's Fing rediculously retarded. The End.

Chuck