Tower defense = crystal meth

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Played Bloons last night, the wife couldn't figure out why I was playing it.

Overall a decent TD game, but not great. Maybe I'll trade Desktop TD.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Defense grid was great. The rest have been a bunch of meh with an occasional ok.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Man I've been hooked on Bloons tower defense 4! Only thing I don't like is once I get above level 100 it really slows down my machine. Granted I'm only playing it on my laptop but it's still a decent machine. Of course the 100 Dart Storms probably aren't helping. I have no idea what's going on at this point and I'm just trying to see how high I can score.

Is there a way to pause the game? I did a really quick search but I didn't see anything.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I don't get it. Tower defense games were kind of fun when they 1st came out, but to me, they really lose their appeal after like the 1st game.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
i'm halfway through Far Cry 2....and yet...i find myself on round 83 of Bloons TD 4....

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Do you guys ever mess with what the towers attack?? first, last, strong, weak....

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Do you guys ever mess with what the towers attack?? first, last, strong, weak....
I set my level 5 bomb towers to attack strong since they are very effective against the big boats.
Once I get more than 4 sun gods I change their settings too so they aren't all attacking the same bloons.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

On bloons TD4, definitely. Generally, I like to have at least one good tower on 'first' and almost everything else on strong. Except for the glue gunners of course.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
TD games took up a rather insane majority of my time on WC3, but honestly i have not found too many compelling games outside of it. Warcraft just has a great art style. I tried defense grid, but it wasn't too my taste. It was fun, but was not something i really enjoyed. I'll look up your bloons one, i haven't heard of it before. Maybe it will be interesting.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I hate you all, I wasted a whole day on bloons 4... how many levels does it go up to? Once you win(at lvl 75) you can opt to keep going. Problem is that at these levels, it lags a like a mofo. Hate it when I right click by accident, it gets stuck for a good 5 mins before I can unclick out of it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I hate you all, I wasted a whole day on bloons 4... how many levels does it go up to? Once you win(at lvl 75) you can opt to keep going. Problem is that at these levels, it lags a like a mofo. Hate it when I right click by accident, it gets stuck for a good 5 mins before I can unclick out of it.
I have seen leaderboards where dudes went up to level 123. At that point the game is ridiculously hard.

TIPS: (for those who cant find all the other threads where I left advice)
Fill up the map with banana farms. Place the attackers in the little nooks and crannys between them.
A single glue monkey or ice tower can drastically improve the usefulness of your attacking monkeys. Especially when they get to level 5. Similarily, the 8-way dart tower isnt so hot until it gets fully upgraded, and then its pure awesome at a reasonable price.
Monkey pirates are very powerful for the money, but obviously can only be used on water. When you do have a water map, make use of them.
Monkey fliers may not seem good at first, but they can actually have the most pops out of any unit. Get one when you can.
Cannons are also highly needed even at low levels without hardened bloons. Their shrapnel can score massive pops. In later levels they are absolutely required for popping MOABS and BFB's.
Putting a couple of upgraded wizards at the end of a pathway is a great way to catch bloons that might wanna slip through.
Mostly I recommend slowing with glue and ice at the beginning so the rest of the towers can score easy kills. I may post some pics later for you.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/shortylickens/BloonsTD4.JPG

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
What I learned about banana farms is that you don't have to space them out evenly, you can place one over another as long as it's not covering over 50% of the first farm. Saves a lot of space. Fully upgraded planes are awesome at higher levels because they drop tons of bombs and thin out clusters... plus you can build them over roads so if you have money it's a no brainer.