Tourists' behaviour at Auschwitz

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I've always found the idea of visiting Auschwitz to be more than a little odd, but to each their own. I showed my wife a semi-related news story and she responded by showing me this video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44356361
"Italians shocked by man's selfie after train accident in Piacenza"

I'm glad that the police tracked down the Italian selfie-taker (in the semi-related article) and forced him to delete the image, partly because he obviously didn't get the consent of the other people who are obviously meant to be in the shot.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
People are shit..no surprise there.

About 20 years ago, we visited the USS Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor. One of the most somber places I've ever been. In the midst of the visit, a load of Japanese tourists arrived. Some of the children acted like they were visiting Disneyland, running and screaming all over, climbing on things getting into places that were roped off, etc. All of a sudden, as 2 of them were running down the center aisle, they both tripped...felll flat on their faces...and, of course, started crying for their parents.

I quietly chuckled to myself and said to my wife, "Looked like one of the ghosts reached up through the floor and tripped them." :D

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
People are shit..no surprise there.

About 20 years ago, we visited the USS Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor. One of the most somber places I've ever been. In the midst of the visit, a load of Japanese tourists arrived. Some of the children acted like they were visiting Disneyland, running and screaming all over, climbing on things getting into places that were roped off, etc. All of a sudden, as 2 of them were running down the center aisle, they both tripped...felll flat on their faces...and, of course, started crying for their parents.

I quietly chuckled to myself and said to my wife, "Looked like one of the ghosts reached up through the floor and tripped them." :D

Hell yeah! That's a good one.

A few days ago, I was in my credit union and this 30ish looking guy with a pony tail turned on some anti Muslim propaganda video and was blaring the sound through his phone. Everyone was stabbing him with their eyes and he just didn't have a clue. He was not white, but appeared to be middle eastern. So, yeah, you can find shit people everywhere.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Unfortunately tourist behavior has been getting worse. I think part of it is that more people are traveling now than before but also the advent of needing to show off on social media. Oh the positive side I've gotten to watch a general change in the attitude towards American tourists. We're either getting better as a group or not getting worse as quickly as other groups

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Tourist have always been disrepectful tards.
All f*cking ways.

Social media and the speed of communication is allowing everyone to see it face to face.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Roman tourists in Greece 2000 years ago were carving their names into every old monument they could find, so I think tourists have just always behaved like garbage.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Tourist have always been disrepectful tards.
All f*cking ways.

Social media and the speed of communication is allowing everyone to see it face to face.

However, shouldn't that result in a pendulum effect of showing people at their worst (well, pretty bad), showing people what that's like with far greater efficiency than ever before, then the trend swings back again, hopefully creating some kind of vaguely sensible equilibrium?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I went to Auschwitz/Birkenau in 2016. It's place of enormous historical significance. On the same trip I went to see Chernobyl/Pripyat as well, another place of significant historical importance. I don't find anything odd about it at all. It did feel a little weird making decision to go see it, it was a somewhat uncomfortable decision to make, but after being there, I am glad I went. In fact, I think everybody should visit those places. It's part of history, a very somber history, it's part of what happened, what could have happened, and it's a reminder to be eternally vigilant. It is estimated that a million people were murdered at Birkenau. Chernobyl disaster as bad as it was could have been much worse if it wasn't for the sacrifice of thousands of people who effectively signed their own death warrants to prevent a far bigger catastrophe. The abandoned town of Pripyat gives you a glimpse of what could have been, if Chernobyl responders did not stop the reactor from complete meltdown the entire region including Kiev could have ended up like that. A huge portion of Ukraine and Belarus could have been left uninhabitable for pretty much forever.

The two of my biggest impressions from Auschwitz/Birkenau were one, just how big that place was, and the disconnect between the sunny beautiful weather and knowing what took place there. It was a really eerie feeling visiting Auschwitz/Birkenau in the middle of the summer. The sky was mostly blue, the trees were green, birds were singing, the temperature was close to perfect, and you know what, it was really difficult to reconcile the perfect summer day with knowing just how many people were murdered over there. For some reason it really struck a nerve with me. The other thing that left an impression was just how vast the Birkenau camp was. When Nazis abandoned the camp they tried to destroy the evidence by torching the place. 90% of the wooden huts were destroyed with only chimney stacks remaining. And when I arrived over there, all I could see was a sea of chimney stacks stretching all the way to horizon as far as the eye could see. That also left a mark, seeing those stacks of chimneys and knowing that each one of those chimneys represents a hut full of people condemned to die, that feeling is just unimaginable. You just cannot get the same by just looking at pictures, you have to experience it first person.

As far as being disrespectful, to my greatest surprise and disappointment, the only group of people that was actually disrespectful was a group of ethnic Jews tourists. The ones dressed in traditional black clothes, with long beards and curls, wearing traditional kippah hats. It was a really bizarre sight to see. We were given instructions to be quiet and respectful and not to photograph the hair (everything else including shoes, glasses, and travel bags was OK). That ethnic Jews group was the only one who openly disregarded every single instruction. And they did it a lot. Frankly, that ethnic group of jews acted like the place belonged to them, they used loud shouting voices, they pushed other people aside to get a better view/photo, and they were the only people who I noticed to photograph the hair exhibit. I understand that Jews are perhaps the group that was singled out by the Nazis the most, but that was not an excuse to behave like they did.

If you can, you should visit it. Just be respectful for the memory of all the people who died there.

Reactions: mikeymikec

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
As far as being disrespectful, to my greatest surprise and disappointment, the only group of people that was actually disrespectful was a group of ethnic Jews tourists. The ones dressed in traditional black clothes, with long beards and curls, wearing traditional kippah hats.

Not surprised at all.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
so this guy is crying about this while using the place as a set for his movie. lol. just lol.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
1. This is what happens when the terror of misery and war become distant memories and a primer for its next iteration. Sad.
2. I like the idea of a place that was once the incarnation of misery being transformed to a place of joy. That being said these people obviously havent been told what they are looking at.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
1. This is what happens when the terror of misery and war become distant memories and a primer for its next iteration. Sad.
2. I like the idea of a place that was once the incarnation of misery being transformed to a place of joy. That being said these people obviously havent been told what they are looking at.

like this?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senato...detention-center-refugee-children-2018-06-04/

kids kept indoors out of sight and a us senator gets the cops called on him. lmao. Trump is gonna start killing brown people,

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
so this guy is crying about this while using the place as a set for his movie. lol. just lol.

Please elaborate? This makes no sense on its own. Is making a movie that chronicles the abuses somehow an abuse of the place?

Jan 25, 2011
Look up the "Yolocaust" project. A guy found selfies from Auschwitz all over the net and then combined them with period pictures during the holocaust to illustrate the level of disrespect these people were showing. Was quite effective.

https://yolocaust.de/

But the most interesting response came from the young man on the first picture of the project, showing him jumping on the concrete slabs with the caption „Jumping on dead Jews @ Holocaust Memorial“. I think his email is the best way to conclude this project for now:

I am the guy that inspired you to make Yolocaust, so I've read at least. I am the "jumping on de..." I cant even write it, kind of sick of looking at it. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Now I just keep seeing my words in the headlines.

I have seen what kind of impact those words have and it's crazy and it's not what I wanted (…)

The photo was meant for my friends as a joke. I am known to make out of line jokes, stupid jokes, sarcastic jokes. And they get it. If you knew me you would too. But when it gets shared, and comes to strangers who have no idea who I am, they just see someone disrespecting something important to someone else or them.

That was not my intention. And I am sorry. I truly am.

With that in mind, I would like to be undouched.

P.S. Oh, and if you could explain to BBC, Haaretz and aaaaallll the other blogs, news stations etc. etc. that I fucked up, that'd be great.

Reactions: mikeymikec

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato

Reactions: pmv

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Sounds like this millennia old problem hasn't stopped the world from turning.

Jan 25, 2011

This wording didn’t seem right for either Socrates or Plato. Had to go look for it.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehaving-children-in-ancient-times/

QI has determined that the author of the quote is not someone famous or ancient.

It was crafted by a student, Kenneth John Freeman, for his Cambridge dissertation published in 1907. Freeman did not claim that the passage under analysis was a direct quotation of anyone; instead, he was presenting his own summary of the complaints directed against young people in ancient times. The words he used were later slightly altered to yield the modern version. In fact, more than one section of his thesis has been excerpted and then attributed classical luminaries. Here is the original text [CAMB]:

The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …

Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.

Reactions: pmv
Jan 25, 2011

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Yeah those are the pics from the one I posted earlier. Every last person contacted the creator and asked for their pics to come down. There was an email of undouche.me@ they could contact.

Yup. Sorry, I missed that post of yours. I do like how each person actually apologized for their actions.

- Merg

Reactions: MomentsofSanity