Tourists' behaviour at Auschwitz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think I'd give almost anything to visit Auschwitz. It'd be such a privilege and honor to be able to walk around in silence and just think about what happened there, especially if you were Jewish or Polish. Some people are just immature douchebags who have no consideration for anything that hasn't or doesn't directly affect them.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Direct experience in those communities and experiences in Museum, parks and market places.
Wife has some pretty interesting experience when she worked in those communities as well (As a women, she got to see a whole other side of it).
Religious extremists in tight closed off communities usually have some quirks.
Those from Hasidic communities tend to have their own unique quirks, at least here in the US.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Direct experience in those communities and experiences in Museum, parks and market places.
Wife has some pretty interesting experience when she worked in those communities as well (As a women, she got to see a whole other side of it).
Religious extremists in tight closed off communities usually have some quirks.
Those from Hasidic communities tend to have their own unique quirks, at least here in the US.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/1...toms-as-legal-and-social-pressures-build.html

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Hmmm, Fox News? But I confess I do find that story fascinating. I think without blaming or stigmatising any group, there are social dynamics and cultural systems that seem to just be part of human nature, that humans just seem to end up trapped in. And the pattern of totalising, religiously conservative groups increasing in number due to high birth-rates and careful policing of group boundaries, gets repeated across multiple different faiths, it's in no sense specific to Jewish groups.

I find it worrying, precisely because the same pattern occurs with many different faith and cultural groups - groups who ultimately are not inclined to get play nicely together (despite seeming to have much in common). It would be different if there was just One True Faith that showed this potential for unlimited growth. The future would be conservative religious, but at least it would be peaceful. A world that sees rapid growth of multiple, mutually-incompatible belief systems, seems more worrying.

Edit - I believe globally the pattern is that religious people have slightly more children on average than the non-religious but the real divergence is between the religous-moderates and the serious hard-line believers. The latter groups tend to have far larger families, and in most places such communities are growing in number. I guess it ultimately boils down to the more patriarchal a group is the more children they have. I'm not at all sure this bodes well, most of all because, as I say, these groups all disagree with each other about the exact form of conservatism they favour.

Last edited: