Toshiba's new P105 "Gaming" laptop: 17", 7900GS, T2400, under 2k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Ichigo
Originally posted by: VooDooAddict
Originally posted by: Ichigo
I don't get how people expect gaming laptops to have high resolutions. It just wouldn't work

Ditto here.... I just chauk it up to personal preferance and the type of games you want to play.

For FPS I prefer natural resolution at high frame rates to scalling or stuttering frames on excessivly high res displays. So you'd think people would be pleased to see 1440x900 paired with a 7900GS.

Sure, if it had a semi-portable/practical 12-14" screen to go along with it. But no, it's an unwiedy 17" at 1440x900. Not only does that makes desktop usage suck, it's ugly with the huge dot pitch sizes.

Why do these companies insist on 17" screens for high-end laptops? It's so aggravating.

17" (and larger) laptops are used because they provide the physical real estate necessary to hold the large gpus while additionally having enough cooling to keep the laptop at a reasonable tempreature (IE not burning you everytime you touch it). Imagine a 14" laptop with a 7800GS that was 4" thick to hold the card and adequately cool it. No one would want such a behemoth.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just got my Qosmio G30. Haven't really played with it yet, will report back when I get further along.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: sdifox
Just got my Qosmio G30. Haven't really played with it yet, will report back when I get further along.
start a new thread since this one is so old. I got mine too, watched some HD-DVD last night :Q Super sharp!