Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I keep bouncing back and forth between melee and cannon with the engineer. I have a feeling at the rate I'm spreading skill points I won't have anything maxed.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
This game is what I've been looking for to fill the void D3 left.

Playing an engineer 2 handed spec. I keep piling on the passives; I'm too afraid of committing to any abilities yet before giving them all a try.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
while cannon engy is pretty fun, i'm feeling like i should have gone melee

See, and I started feeling the other way. I'm starting to think the balance I've chosen is actually good for the way I play. The cannon is fun to use but on bosses it isn't as useful as flame hammer, but at the same time flame hammer is pretty mana heavy and I can't spam it like I can the cannon. I seem to favor the cannon with high number of small enemies and the hammer for tougher ones.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I've gone two handed melee with heavy passive skill investment plus putting quite a few points into the default active skill you start with (the one with the flames).

Also got some points in forcefield (useful, but slow casting time limits it a bit), healing bot (pretty mandatory), and that gun bot (looks like a skill that should be maxed out)

I'm level 40 i think.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Been playing a zerker and zerkers rule all :) Have one of everything and the zerker is my highest right now. Just mows through everything without breaking a sweat.

Also the order of important of rare enchanters to find.

Jurik the Socketer - adds more sockets onto items up to 2. Since every unique has only 1 socket when found, another socket on all your uniques is a massive improvement.

Borris the Stout - This guy does up to 3 enchantments, but only does 1 type of enchantment. Stat enhancements and MAJOR ones at that. It depends upon the item level but typically 1 avg point for the level of the item. Meaning an item that is level 40 he can put up to +40 of a given stat per enchant. With 3 enchants he can stack up to +120 on a level 40 item easy. That's how I have massively high stats right now.

Those two are basically the best enchanters in the game to look out for. There are a few others ones though to look out for which include.

Farquez the Assassin - He does massive poison enchantments. On weapons this is like Borris. He can do +1 point of poison damage per level of the item roughly and up to 3 enchantments. Which means a level 40 weapon could potentially have +120 poison damage. Again this is huge amount of damage especially if you already are using +poison % stuff, with +poison % stats (outlander), a poison weapon base, and socket in a poison gem. The damage can get insane off the gear once this guy enchants your weapons for + poison.

Mooritz of the Desert (fire), Telsor of the Storm (elec), Forgot Name of the North (ice) are the other enchanters like Farquez except for their respective elements. As a zerker, I have a huge bonus passive to ice damage. So I was really happy to find the North guy. I got 2 swords enchanted by him. One with +107 and the other with +99 ice damage.

There is one other enchanter, again the name I forgot but the moniker is "The All-Powerful" which will do the 4th enchantment to anything. He does standard level town enchantments though. But if you got all your gear enchanted by Borris for armor, and an elemental enchanting by one of the others, that 4th enchantment is icing on the cake.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
My 2h engi died today :( it was a sad day.

he was on lvl 32, but he was hardcore elite, with as many players as possible in the game (which was 2 at this point because everyone else had died).

I think I'm tapped out. I've had like 4-5 lvl 2x's die and now my engi? *max payne* but i was too tired to go on...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Been playing a zerker and zerkers rule all :) Have one of everything and the zerker is my highest right now. Just mows through everything without breaking a sweat.

Also the order of important of rare enchanters to find.

Jurik the Socketer - adds more sockets onto items up to 2. Since every unique has only 1 socket when found, another socket on all your uniques is a massive improvement.

Borris the Stout - This guy does up to 3 enchantments, but only does 1 type of enchantment. Stat enhancements and MAJOR ones at that. It depends upon the item level but typically 1 avg point for the level of the item. Meaning an item that is level 40 he can put up to +40 of a given stat per enchant. With 3 enchants he can stack up to +120 on a level 40 item easy. That's how I have massively high stats right now.

Those two are basically the best enchanters in the game to look out for. There are a few others ones though to look out for which include.

Farquez the Assassin - He does massive poison enchantments. On weapons this is like Borris. He can do +1 point of poison damage per level of the item roughly and up to 3 enchantments. Which means a level 40 weapon could potentially have +120 poison damage. Again this is huge amount of damage especially if you already are using +poison % stuff, with +poison % stats (outlander), a poison weapon base, and socket in a poison gem. The damage can get insane off the gear once this guy enchants your weapons for + poison.

Mooritz of the Desert (fire), Telsor of the Storm (elec), Forgot Name of the North (ice) are the other enchanters like Farquez except for their respective elements. As a zerker, I have a huge bonus passive to ice damage. So I was really happy to find the North guy. I got 2 swords enchanted by him. One with +107 and the other with +99 ice damage.

There is one other enchanter, again the name I forgot but the moniker is "The All-Powerful" which will do the 4th enchantment to anything. He does standard level town enchantments though. But if you got all your gear enchanted by Borris for armor, and an elemental enchanting by one of the others, that 4th enchantment is icing on the cake.

For one of my characters I know exactly where the socket and stat enchanters are located. I actually have a town portal right next to one, and the other is reachable through a normal portal and a 30 second run.

Having 2 sockets for all your gear and a butload of extra stats on everything really helps. Also around lvl 50 you can get 5% damage reduction gems, so a bunch of those in your armor makes you take damage like a champ.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Juuuuust in case some of you miss it, I posted this in another thread. Some of you might find it interesting. :)

I'm back with a new interview with Max Schaefer. As some of you'll recall I interviewed Max back at E3 and we talked about bunch lot of cool things, including his time at Blizzard working on Diablo 3 many moons ago.

Well I sat down with Max again a few days after Torchlight 2 launched and we discussed: Torchlight 2 sales, how powerful the mod tools really are, will TL2 on the Mac make 2012, player cheating, working on Diablo 3, open-multiplayer vs secure-multiplayer, Claptrap and Minecraft cameos in TL2, PvP, Torchlight 3, Torchlight 2 on next gen consoles, Sci-Fi ARPGs and if he'll ever make that Torchlight/Minecraft hybrid he told me about at E3 this year.

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/32824468588/max-schaefer-torchlight2-launch-interview

Hope you guys enjoy, I'm proud of this one! :)

Cheers,
-Mark

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think I screwed up my shotgun outlander build. I am just getting SMOKED on Veteran around lvl 38 or so. Bosses pretty much 1-hit me. There are even non-boss monsters that nearly 1-hit me. I think too many points into strength and not enough into health and dexterity. Bumming.

Started up again with an Akimbo Outlander (though I picked up a bow that is pretty much ass kicking early on).

I have yet to finish the game :)

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I think I screwed up my shotgun outlander build. I am just getting SMOKED on Veteran around lvl 38 or so. Bosses pretty much 1-hit me. There are even non-boss monsters that nearly 1-hit me. I think too many points into strength and not enough into health and dexterity. Bumming.

Started up again with an Akimbo Outlander (though I picked up a bow that is pretty much ass kicking early on).

Your not suppose to be getting hit fyi. Are you in a3 because that poison shit can really hurt.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I hate when they patch the game and it resets all my maps

I was wondering why I had to start back at a map that I had almost entirely cleared. Game is on hold because I'm not sure I want to go through the whole map again at this point.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Sounds like the rut I was in. Same exact issues, either with shotgun or cannon. It gets better around 43.. I'm now at 50 and its getting easier again. I spam skeletons and sometimes zombies and let them do all the heavy lifting though.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Sounds like the rut I was in. Same exact issues, either with shotgun or cannon. It gets better around 43.. I'm now at 50 and its getting easier again. I spam skeletons and sometimes zombies and let them do all the heavy lifting though.

I think bosses are kinda a piece of cake. I blind-lock them and once in a while, they never even hit me.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
So outlander is weaksauce right?

Played as Engineer and Berserker and they plow throw everything. Engineer seems way weaker. Been mostly using shotguns as dual wielding pistols seems even weaker.

Seems like dual wield or one handed weapons are a lot weaker than two handed weapons, no matter the class, except maybe the berserker.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Outlanders aren't weak if they are leveled glaive spec. I have an outlander that's like mid 40's right now on Veteran that I play when Elite Hardcore has depressed me. It uses a wand and shield, never bother auto attacking. Just glaives and the castle spell. Pretty strong.

Never underestimate how hard a good shield will save your ass. My Zerker right now runs claw/shield. Just hit 20 in EHC. The damage isn't that much lower then dual wielding and having 15% block on top of 10% dodge and high armor is very nice.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I think bosses are kinda a piece of cake. I blind-lock them and once in a while, they never even hit me.

My dodge is maxed out at level 50 and they hit me all the time. I run ahead, turn around, shoot them, they are usually invulnerable to interrupts and the like which means no knockback, no stun, no blind, etc. They walk up, hit me once which takes me down to half health, I pop a potion, they use a special attack like acid or fire or electric and boom, I'm dead, not to mention their adds. So, I come in with a skeleton army, they come after me, I run around them, lead them back through the skeletons, rinse repeat for 5 minutes or so until the mob is dead.

I have around 115-140 resists on all types of elemental attacks also.