Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Hum. How many robots parts are in the game? I've stumbled across 4 so far; no clue where I am in the game - i think still late act ii but kind of lost track :) (level 47 vet).
I only have 1 and am in Act II. I have a feeling I've missed some somewhere.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
just me or is the transmuter a piece of shit? seriously, i put in 3 lebvel 26 gems and get a shitty level 8 gem? wtf?

seems like the requirements are a lot.

why can't i put in in 3 of the same gem and get a better version of that gem?

oh and where is the slotted armor?? Most of my armor has no slots. if it does, it had 1 slot. early in the game i could find good armor with tons of slot.
now i find good armor but no slots.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
yeah the gem transmute is messed up. it's basically only there as an option to 'recycle' your abundance of gems so they take less space (rather than vendoring them), with a chance of getting something you like. if only it works like the potion then it would be much better and makes much more sense.

beach2nd

Aug 15, 2002
Same f*cking spot! F*****************************CK!
This happened to me in the frist torchlight. There was a console command that would return you to the previous map. Don't remember what it was but if you search the torchlight 1 forums over at runic you should be able to track it down.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I'M FREAKING STUCK!!!!
I got stuck too. Almost flipped out. I was backed into that corner (below the balcony) and when I beat the boss, he exploded and pushed me up on that balcony. There was no way to get down, and town portal didn't work because it was a boss stage.

Only resolution was to start a LAN game, and select 'reroll' maps. It reset ALL my maps that I had cleared. No biggie, as I had already completed them. And I had to restart that entire map. i was on the 5th level and had already beat the boss but I couldn't get down from that balcony to claim the goods and portal home.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
im playing it....mostly with a couple friends. I find it fun, the loot is fun, the enemies and bosses are fun (bosses are a bit repetitive in the mechanic at least), im in the djinn part, plaing on elite with a Cannon engineer lvl 33

the thing i dont like about it its that i have 1 skill. The cannon piercing shot, that is pretty cool but its the only thing i cast, my cannon is slow as shit so autoattacks are worthless

and doing damage with skills dont give me charges (unless the passive that gives 3% chance of fully charging the bar when slaying an enemy), but HEY! the only skill i use doesnt do anything with the charges so... =S

i go into the map...cast my health/mana droid (which is cool) and the active skill... 2 skills!!! and 1 stays there all day
sometimes i cast the gaitlin droid but it has 3 min cd so...

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
There's a bug/exploit related to the gambling vendor. This will make it somewhat un-fun if you like to play straight-up without 'cheating'/exploiting but in case anybody is interested:

1. click the one item that you're interested in.
2. hold and drag it to the 'buy back' tab
3. when the 'buy back' tab lights up, release
4. drop the item in any of the empty slots in the 'buy back' UI
5. if you like that item, you can then 'buy it back' for its vendor price

bonus 1:
if you don't even want to pay for vendor price and want to get the item for free:
1. click on the item you want (on the buyback UI from above)
2. move your mouse to the middle of the screen
3. hit space bar to close vendor UI
4. drop the item to the ground
5. pick it up

bonus 2 (pretty obvious, but just to be thorough):
if you're done emptying the gambling vendor (sucker!) and want to do it all over again:
1. quit game
2. play - LAN - create game
3. check 'reroll world'
4. play game
5. repeat ad infinitum or until you get a unique for every single slot for each and every one your characters :D

Runic games have acknowledged the bug and have made a statement that this will be fixed in the next patch. So if you're interested, do it now! :)

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
On forgotten hall level 1; there is a lowered switch on the left side. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to raise it - any pointers (or is the switch on a lower level ?)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
There's a bug/exploit related to the gambling vendor. This will make it somewhat un-fun if you like to play straight-up without 'cheating'/exploiting but in case anybody is interested:

1. click the one item that you're interested in.
2. hold and drag it to the 'buy back' tab
3. when the 'buy back' tab lights up, release
4. drop the item in any of the empty slots in the 'buy back' UI
5. if you like that item, you can then 'buy it back' for its vendor price

bonus 1:
if you don't even want to pay for vendor price and want to get the item for free:
1. click on the item you want (on the buyback UI from above)
2. move your mouse to the middle of the screen
3. hit space bar to close vendor UI
4. drop the item to the ground
5. pick it up

bonus 2 (pretty obvious, but just to be thorough):
if you're done emptying the gambling vendor (sucker!) and want to do it all over again:
1. quit game
2. play - LAN - create game
3. check 'reroll world'
4. play game
5. repeat ad infinitum or until you get a unique for every single slot for each and every one your characters :D

Runic games have acknowledged the bug and have made a statement that this will be fixed in the next patch. So if you're interested, do it now! :)
where is the gambling vendor?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Hum; well having finished the game on veteran I think titan quest (for me) was both the more enjoyable and better game.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I am rolling an Embermage and trying to decide how much vit, if any, to give my character. I have read several people give nothing as you avoid getting hit period on the higher levels.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I am rolling an Embermage and trying to decide how much vit, if any, to give my character. I have read several people give nothing as you avoid getting hit period on the higher levels.

What do you mean? I'm not sure I understand.

I have been pouring Vit into my embermage in order to increase her magic damage. My attacks are basically her magic attacks with a hit from her magic wand now and then. Melee is practically non-existent with my embermage.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I keep getting the shit kicked out of me at level 30ish. Insta-killed many times when you walk into a room when the mobs swarm on me. My dodge is at 51% (highest I can get at my level), decent vitality, ok strength. Every battle is like potion, potion, potion, potion, ah shit, dead. Doesn't matter if I'm using two pistols, a shot gun, whatever, the mobs are just kicking my butt. I'm not playing on normal though, I'm on the next step up in difficulty, so thats probably my issue, other than the fact that I suck at this game.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
What do you mean? I'm not sure I understand.

I have been pouring Vit into my embermage in order to increase her magic damage. My attacks are basically her magic attacks with a hit from her magic wand now and then. Melee is practically non-existent with my embermage.
Maybe you're thinking about Focus? Vitality just increases your health which is why he said people don't put points in Vitality on an Embermage and just basically kites mobs around.

I'm doing something similar, but I did have to add some Vitality in the 20s because I got this awesome staff drop that has a Vitality requirement if I wanted to equip it at much lower than the level requirement. Otherwise I pretty much went pure Focus.

Just wanted to add: My build is pretty much magma spear (or whatever it's called, the first spell the embermage gets, the 'fire laser beam'), blazing pillar (aoe fire), and an aoe frost (forgot what it's called), that's it. I went in and gather the mobs, froze them in place, hit blazing pillar, and run away to the corner. Run back three seconds later to find them all dead :D. Of course I need to fire my lazer beam and run around a little bit more if there's a champion/boss fight. I know this is probably not the most efficient way to play the embermage , but I don't care about min-maxing in this game, just want to have fun :)

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
How in the hell do you kill the 3 tar creatures in the phase area? They spawn billions of tar monsters that slow you down and kill you. To make matters worse, they rejuvenate. I cant run around and dodge, take a shot, dodge, etc, it doesn't do anything, and I cant stand toe to toe with the 3 monsters either. Impossible..

I'm level 23 btw
I managed to beat this without dying somehow, though I think the 2 teammates dying and respawning made for good bait. I'm an engineer and I swapped between my cannon and flame hammer. Also had a healbot going which didn't seem to help too much, and also had a low level gunner bot I would toss out every once in a while. My pet can summon low level skeletons that may have also served as a distraction too.

I basically kept to the outskirts of the arena and shot them with my cannon. As they broke into little blobs I gave them a couple flame hammers. There wasn't much pattern to it... just pumped potions as needed.

I have no idea how different things would have been on my own.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Maybe you're thinking about Focus? Vitality just increases your health which is why he said people don't put points in Vitality on an Embermage and just basically kites mobs around.

I'm doing something similar, but I did have to add some Vitality in the 20s because I got this awesome staff drop that has a Vitality requirement if I wanted to equip it at much lower than the level requirement. Otherwise I pretty much went pure Focus.

Just wanted to add: My build is pretty much magma spear (or whatever it's called, the first spell the embermage gets, the 'fire laser beam'), blazing pillar (aoe fire), and an aoe frost (forgot what it's called), that's it. I went in and gather the mobs, froze them in place, hit blazing pillar, and run away to the corner. Run back three seconds later to find them all dead :D. Of course I need to fire my lazer beam and run around a little bit more if there's a champion/boss fight. I know this is probably not the most efficient way to play the embermage , but I don't care about min-maxing in this game, just want to have fun :)
oops, you're right, it's focus I'm pouring into. Usually, it's 3 points into Focus, 1 into Dexterity and one into Vitality. Sometimes I mix it up.

As for spells, I started with the magma spear, but then switched over the first electrical spell because it will seek out enemies. I also got to 5 Beams on the Fire Beams spell and have just now gotten to the experience level to get the Firestorm spell.

So, basically, I spam the electrical spell, then for large mobs or champs, I hit both the fire beams and the fire storm, and kite everything, like you said.

I also have been putting points into fire damage, charge increases and a few into the electrical passive that does random events when using a wand or staff.

ASK THE COMMUNITY