Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Final Beta Impresssions

After spending about 5-6 hours with the beta--which is most of Act 1--I'm left completely impressed. Runic has managed to expand, improve, refine and polish just about every single system, machanic and technology from Torchlight 1.

First off I've got to mention how impressed I am with the level of polish--it's astounding. I experienced nary a hitch, glitch, hiccup or crash. The only thing I can even think of mentioning, and this is digging, is the fact that every time I fired up the game I had to reset the resolution. Again that's nitpicking though.

Ok, so, T2 looks Fantastic! Thanks to the much (MUCH!) more varied aesthetics and enviroments, I was treated to a very rich, lush and colorful pallate that seem to run the full spectrum. It's a game the REALLY pops on the screen, and yes it seems to have reached a point where it's more World of Warcraft (again, in aesthetic) that World of Warcraft. That's a compliment, and I love the sort of chariature design of it all.

The dungeon designs are light years beyond the ones from T1 where it seemed like we eere constantly running through had the same, mundane caves we experienced in T1. Just in the beta I ran through a Pirate themed cave that was crawling skeletons wearing eye patches and bandanas, with a boss called One Eyed Wily. Another had me running through a frostbitten cavern, filled with yeti's and ice...panthers, or something. My person favorite was the a bandit warehouse that was consumed in flames, and watching it crumble above me dropping embers and scafolding all around as I set some people free.

Again I played as an Outlander, and the combination of dual-pistols, the Glave and the pet really rocketed me through the action. It was very fast and furious filled with mountains of glorious loot. I'd probably recommend people who are interested in even a slight challenge to play on Vetertan difficulty because I didnt die once throughout the whole 5-6 hours. That doesnt mean I wasn't running away from boss or mobs, but some additional challenge would be recommended.

Speaking of the bosses, their fights were always made with grand entrances. They were fun, over-the-top and always the most challenging thing in the game. Each one always left me with a sense of accomplishment. It's also worth mentioning that there is a good variety in the enemies, and in the way they attack. They're not all just charging at you, some shift through things, some teleport, some spit goop, some charge, and some summon snot (or something). The point is, you will have to vary some of your strategies.

So there it is. At a full sprint I smashed my teeth into a stone wall called the level cap. Next I did the only sensible thing--started over.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
I got invited to the beta last night and only had time to play for about 3 hours, and here are my impressions and notes.

Here is what my Outlander looked like after those 3 hours: https://twitter.com/#!/heymarkd/status/200220939705790465/photo/1

Visuals - Playing Torchlight 2 at 2560x1440 with all effects turned on and maxed out shows just how GOREGEOUS this game can look! But beyond it's technical capabilities, the actual art, assents, models, level design and animations have also come along splendidly. So far I think the thing that has stood out the most is the environmental designs. They're just spectacular and really just far beyond the sort of banal cave-after-cave we played through in T1. One cave had a pirate theme, and within were the animated skeletal remains of pirates, ghosts and other seaworthy nefarious creatures. Another dungeon was completely different in that it looked like a Gothic library, sort of like the one found in the Diablo 3 beta. :)

The game still has a more World of Warcraft aesthetic to it than a Diablo one. I love the look of it all.

Classes - I decided to go with the Outlander, mainly because ranged attacks coupled with a pet sounded like a blast, and you know what? It's a freak'n good time! Dual-pistols coupled with a Glave and I was mowing through mobs quickly. Oh and when creating a character you now have the option of 6 different pets. Pets still sell things for you, learn spells, can equip a collar and now have a shipping list to purchase things like identity scrolls or health potions.

- The GUI is unobtrusive, clean, responsive and does exactly what it should--stays out of our way!

- The loot, oh god the loot, THE LOOT!

- The world is more explorable, at least so far. As it opens up when you leave town and there are things to encounter. Like dungeons and NPCs. NPCs seem to guide you to various dungeons to kill someone who did something bad. The dungeons now have a level marker on this so you know if you're capable of handling the opposition. Its nice to see because it essentially means the world is your oyster.

There is more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them, just keep in mind I've only played the game for a few hours and it's only the MP portion not the SP.

Last edited:

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
Dammit, I want this game NOW!

Did you plany much of the D3 beta? How would you compare and contrast the two?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
From what people that played the beta and aren't a D3 hater/Runic fanboy, you will enjoy this game if you like D2 with all its design flaws except without having full respecs and zero information on locked skills in the tree.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
(Posted this in the "wrong forum" thread...)

My biggest beef with TL was the linearity and boring location. From the sounds of it you can pretty much tackle things how you want... correct? The level marker is just there as a guide right, and not any sort of requirement?

Also, is MP and SP kept completely separate or can you use the same character in both (like Borderlands)?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
(Posted this in the "wrong forum" thread...)

My biggest beef with TL was the linearity and boring location. From the sounds of it you can pretty much tackle things how you want... correct? The level marker is just there as a guide right, and not any sort of requirement?

Also, is MP and SP kept completely separate or can you use the same character in both (like Borderlands)?

Same character for SP/MP, but with zero cheat protection like in open Bnet. Fine if you want to play with close friends, but good luck dealing with hacked pubbies.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Same character for SP/MP, but with zero cheat protection like in open Bnet. Fine if you want to play with close friends, but good luck dealing with hacked pubbies.

Good. I have no interest in PvP (if there is any) so cheaters or not wouldn't really bother me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My only decision now is whether I want to buy the 4-pack to give out copies to friends or not. ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i'm going to buy this but waiting until closer to release, hoping there's a sale.

yes, it's already only $20 and probably totally worth it, but i'm in the process of buying a house, plus i'm cheap

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Enjoyed playing Torchlight and will probably buy Torchlight 2 to support the Devs.
I did find the original to feel a bit restrictive and linear. A little more free roam would be nice. Love the idea of a shipping list.

Nice review warcrow.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I enjoyed the original torchlight. Once I get bored of D3 I will most likely pick this up. Especially if it goes on sale for 10-15 bucks.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
My biggest issue with tl1 was the fact your equipment didn't move along with your character. So I was a level 25 wearing almost all gear under 20 and some being level 12-14. The loot system was NOT rewarding. If they fixed that I'd be way more interested.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Thanks for this.

I am a massive Diablo fan, but want to try and find time to play T2 as well.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Final Beta Impresssions

After spending about 5-6 hours with the beta--which is most of Act 1--I'm left completely impressed. Runic has managed to expand, improve, refine and polish just about every single system, machanic and technology from Torchlight 1.

First off I've got to mention how impressed I am with the level of polish--it's astounding. I experienced nary a hitch, glitch, hiccup or crash. The only thing I can even think of mentioning, and this is digging, is the fact that every time I fired up the game I had to reset the resolution. Again that's nitpicking though.

Ok, so, T2 looks Fantastic! Thanks to the much (MUCH!) more varied aesthetics and enviroments, I was treated to a very rich, lush and colorful pallate that seem to run the full spectrum. It's a game the REALLY pops on the screen, and yes it seems to have reached a point where it's more World of Warcraft (again, in aesthetic) that World of Warcraft. That's a compliment, and I love the sort of chariature design of it all.

The dungeon designs are light years beyond the ones from T1 where it seemed like we eere constantly running through had the same, mundane caves we experienced in T1. Just in the beta I ran through a Pirate themed cave that was crawling skeletons wearing eye patches and bandanas, with a boss called One Eyed Wily. Another had me running through a frostbitten cavern, filled with yeti's and ice...panthers, or something. My person favorite was the a bandit warehouse that was consumed in flames, and watching it crumble above me dropping embers and scafolding all around as I set some people free.

Again I played as an Outlander, and the combination of dual-pistols, the Glave and the pet really rocketed me through the action. It was very fast and furious filled with mountains of glorious loot. I'd probably recommend people who are interested in even a slight challenge to play on Vetertan difficulty because I didnt die once throughout the whole 5-6 hours. That doesnt mean I wasn't running away from boss or mobs, but some additional challenge would be recommended.

Speaking of the bosses, their fights were always made with grand entrances. They were fun, over-the-top and always the most challenging thing in the game. Each one always left me with a sense of accomplishment. It's also worth mentioning that there is a good variety in the enemies, and in the way they attack. They're not all just charging at you, some shift through things, some teleport, some spit goop, some charge, and some summon snot (or something). The point is, you will have to vary some of your strategies.

So there it is. At a full sprint I smashed my teeth into a stone wall called the level cap. Next I did the only sensible thing--started over.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
It took me a minute to realize you didn't mean a score of 5/10 and instead meant the date lol

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Any estimated dates yet when this is going to be out? I love D3 but can't wait for this, Grim Dawn and some others.