Too late to join Eve online?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Illusio

Golden Member
Nov 28, 1999
I just gave eve a whirl and didn't much care for it. You still spend a good amount of time traveling. I would get a mission, set my waypoint and then go get a sandwich before I actually got there. Plus i hated the skill training time. When your next skill in the chain takes one month to complete, and you can't work on any others at the same time, it just seemed like a horrible idea.

The game also does have a pretty steep learning curve. But if tweaking out a space ship to the max is your thing, go for it.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
I think the appeal of the game is the rush you get in combat. The risk vs reward you get in combat is awesome. That's probably why I'm on my pirating streak right now. YARGHHHH!

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pandrig
And yes I'm in BoB. And I would never cheat, hax, sploit, or crash nodes in a game to win.

It's a shame that BoB leadership doesn't feel the same way.

pandrig

Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: pandrig
And yes I'm in BoB. And I would never cheat, hax, sploit, or crash nodes in a game to win.

It's a shame that BoB leadership doesn't feel the same way.

Well here's the rub. We can't undo what other people do.:frown:

Look, I have been called every name in the book by every corp to play EVE and that was before we helped start BoB and I never pirated once.
Just don't believe everything you read or are told at face value. Just because someone may not be winning now doesn't make the other guys cheat.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just telling you from my point of view.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
I just reactivated my account. Man, I can make some serious $$$ on rigs :)

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: AbsoluteParadigm
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: neutralizer
Originally posted by: lozina
EVE online is the ultimate elitist's game. If you joined EVE online in the beginning and kept up your skill training, you're part of the club. If you joined years later you'll always be struggling to try and learnt he skills they already have to try and compete with them in battle, but you'll never actually catch up because skills are strictly time-based.

I have tried the game twice and both times quit because of that, and because of how slow travelling was.

I wanted to join EVE to PvP, not to mine asteroids or chat. But if the veteran players have way too many advantages in their favor making PvP too much of handicap against newbies. Couldn't it be enough that people playing longer naturally have more experience with the combat? No, they also have to have skill advantages which you will never match no matter how hard you try. It's a major flaw of the game.

Again, they fixed traveling with warp to 0. My character is only a year old, I have pretty much mastered about 3 weapons systems now. It really doesn't take that long to master one so you'll be at the same level as the "elites." Not to mention, if you setup the ships probably to counter whatever your enemy has, skill points don't matter. Lacking skills is just something easily acquired by PVPing more. If what you were saying were true, it'll be impossible for me to kill people in 3 year old characters, but I've done so just fine.

wow, they fixed traveling to to 0 sector space. what about traveling to 99% of the rest of the game?

Neutralizer means that now you warp to 0 km from the destination for all gates, stations, acceleration gates, and celestial objects instead of the previous 15 km from the gate. Makes a big difference in travel time.

how long does it take to get that skill and be able to afford the equipment that allows it? probably a long time.

dude, stfu already.
There is no skill , its the way it is now, stop assuming and basing your judgement on something you played long ago that has changed.

Eve Online is probably the only game that constantly changes. Sure, you may be at a time disadvantage but this game has SO MANY roles that you can always be apart of SOMETHING. It would be retarded if everyone was in Titans. Every ship class has its role, its the tech2 and money that changes, skills (as in skills to using your ship the best) is still based on the player flying it. Also, mining isn't the ONLY form of income like pontifex joked on, sure its ONE form and the most EASIEST but it certainly isn't the only path to do. You can do ANYTHING you want in this game. Anyways, I highly recommend this MMORPG from all the others. But like some said, it requires patience, time, and smarts. ;)

danny~!

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
As was mentioned before, the training time can be long, but that can be a good thing if you ask some. I don't really play eve very much, maybe a few hours a week, but that does not hurt me. The kid who plays 20 hours a day has no advantage beside being able to earn more money.

And just in case you think that there is no way to catch up with those like myself who have been playing for years, you are wrong. Lets take a frigate for example, the ship you start out in. It takes about a month to become the best you can be in a frigate. I finished this years ago, and I can't really improve my skills any more. Once you have trained for that month, you are just as good at flying a frigate as me as far as skill points go. I may know how to fit it better or better tactics, but that is it. The only real difference between new players and old ones is the knowledge of the game, the money they have, and the ability to fly different ships. And those frigates are very useful, I still fly them all the time. All that my years playing give me is the ability to fly other ships such as cruisers, elite cruiser, battle cruisers, recon ship, battleships, dreadnoughts, carriers, ect...

Again though, once I max out my skills, that is it. I am about to finish my training for a dreadnought in a few weeks. Once I have that finished, I am done with it and I will go on to learn how to fly another ship.

As was also mentioned early, it is the players that make the game. Playing by yourself and running missions\minning gets boring real fast. Joining a corp and an alliance and making friends is what makes the game fun for years. And if you do get bored, take a break. I took a 6 month break a while back but my skills continued to train. Now that I am back, I can fly capital ships and am part of the biggest war in Eve's history.

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
Yar, it is an amazing game. I have been playing for 6 months, and it only gets better every day. As far as the BoB/dev thing goes, they did fix that. The bpo was taken back and put into the lottery, and that player is no longer in bob. I am in FIX, so I would definitely have a problem with it if it stayed. And who said that BOB is not the best? Try again...

Eh, basically, yes it takes time and effort, and you can lose every single thing in the game, even your skillpoints..... Yar, I have lost a week's worth of training before, and it is not cool. Thing is, that is what separates it from everything else. You don't even have to play to get better, and it is a huge risk to take an expensive ship out to play with the big boys. I wouldn't have it any other way though, if you want instant gratification, go to WoW. I think I read that the average age in EvE is 27, and that sounds right. I am 19, and am one of the youngest players that I know. So it's a good game with good people, and tbh, the people are the main reason I keep playing. EvE just provides a good medium for it.

Oct 25, 2006
I loved that game. However, the monthly payments turned me off.

Gripes.

Animations could have been better. If you have only like 20 ships to animate, at least make decent animations for weapons
Warping- I play with sound off because I can't bear to hear it. "Warp Drive Activated" REALLY gets on your nerves. Doesn't help when you hear it 20 consecutive times.

Not Noob Friendly. As soon as I got in game I was like WTF!!!!? 30 buttons on screen at the same time is not good for the new player

I loved it though. I had a friend on beforehand, so I got like like 300 million isk in the first week.

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
Ya well, I don't mind paying for a good game, I don't see how to get around that... It's just like WoW, only it's legal to purchase timecards with ingame cash, which is a major bonus I think. Many of the older players basically play for free, and I'm working on it lol.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
Finally got my battleship and now we almost have enough for my wife's battleship. Yes, she plays too :)

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: JRich
Finally got my battleship and now we almost have enough for my wife's battleship. Yes, she plays too :)

Lucky. I only got up to a Cruiser when I quit.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
Hell, I lost my BS within 30 min to lag. This was right before the last patch. I got it back, but man it sucked.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: lozina
EVE online is the ultimate elitist's game. If you joined EVE online in the beginning and kept up your skill training, you're part of the club. If you joined years later you'll always be struggling to try and learnt he skills they already have to try and compete with them in battle, but you'll never actually catch up because skills are strictly time-based.

I have tried the game twice and both times quit because of that, and because of how slow travelling was.

I wanted to join EVE to PvP, not to mine asteroids or chat. But if the veteran players have way too many advantages in their favor making PvP too much of handicap against newbies. Couldn't it be enough that people playing longer naturally have more experience with the combat? No, they also have to have skill advantages which you will never match no matter how hard you try. It's a major flaw of the game.

I dont know when I played last summer you could get your skills upto the assault frigates level in a month or so and create some havoc. The high end skills only matter if you want to fly a carrier or larger, or build them. Lots of skills seemed to be ship class specific.

I'd say once you get your skills high enough to fly a battleship with all the goodies you are on a pretty even level with everybody else for like 90% of the game.

What turned me off from the game was the gate situation. PVP was pretty much restricted to these annoying gates and it was a cat and mouse game of getting people stuck in fields so they couldnt port out.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I cringe for you guys - just getting your battleships?!?! I've been playing for a year now and have probably gone through a half dozen battleships and a dozen interceptors (plus lots of cruisers/frigates). 0.0 space is where the money-making is at, you need to get out of Empire ASAP.

I'm well on my way to getting into a Chimera (carrier). Training Jump Drive Operation to V now (~15 days in my implants), then I need to train Jump Drive Calibration/Fuel Conservation both to IV, Capital Ships III, Carrier IV, and Fighters IV and I'll get a corp issued ship. About two months, give or take. If I can raise the funds, I could get into my own faster.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
I stopped playing for well over a year. I'm waaaaay behind. My wife, though, has been playing for about a month and can drive battleships already. As for money, I only make like 5 million a day. I do very little work for it though. Good days I'll make 20M+ and I refuse to mine!!! :D (But, I'll do it if I have to :p )

Edit: The reason I didn't have a BS yet was my low ISK situation :)