Too late to join Eve online?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4644

I know its been out for a few years. I am a hardcore gamer who does not have a lot of time lately. Is there any point in my joining Eve, or is the game dying or soon dying?

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I would say go for it, the game is getting new stuff all the time. I personally am tired of it but if you like time-consuming MMO's give it a try.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
I would say go for it, the game is getting new stuff all the time. I personally am tired of it but if you like time-consuming MMO's give it a try.

How many hours a week to really get into it?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Deleted member 4644

skills are leveled up in real time, 1 at a time. so if skill a takes 3 days to level, thats 48 hours of you not being able to level up any other skill.

its just a huge grind. if you're not spending 2 hours traveling you're spending hours mining just to get some money.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I beta tested it waaaay back in the day, meh it was alright but it didn't hold my attention.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
It is not for those with short attention spans as demonstrated above. But if you like games with a lot of depth and an engaging player driven universe then you may want to give it a shot.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex

skills are leveled up in real time, 1 at a time. so if skill a takes 3 days to level, thats 48 hours of you not being able to level up any other skill.

its just a huge grind. if you're not spending 2 hours traveling you're spending hours mining just to get some money.

The skills definitely take a while to acquire which is why the new expansion increased the noob skills so you can dive into combat. The money will still be hard to acquire which is why I suggest you join a helpful corp that can help you or give you access to easy ways to acquire money.

It doesn't take 2 hours to travel, ever since they implemented warp to 0. Mining is quite boring, but some people enjoy it to make money. It's really open and depends on what role you'd like to play.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
EVE online is the ultimate elitist's game. If you joined EVE online in the beginning and kept up your skill training, you're part of the club. If you joined years later you'll always be struggling to try and learnt he skills they already have to try and compete with them in battle, but you'll never actually catch up because skills are strictly time-based.

I have tried the game twice and both times quit because of that, and because of how slow travelling was.

I wanted to join EVE to PvP, not to mine asteroids or chat. But if the veteran players have way too many advantages in their favor making PvP too much of handicap against newbies. Couldn't it be enough that people playing longer naturally have more experience with the combat? No, they also have to have skill advantages which you will never match no matter how hard you try. It's a major flaw of the game.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
It's a game for patience. You don't have to play it a lot, you just have to play it for a long time. The skill training keeps going even when you aren't logged in, but nothing you do in the game speeds it up so it's just a matter of waiting. There aren't any classes or anything like that, but you do kinda have to direct your skill training. I don't think anybody, even to this day, has learned all the skills to max level.

Aside from the negative aspects, if you do have patience and the will to play it, it can be fun. I have an account with a Megathron myself, but unfortunately I never did get it fully equipped before quitting. I get bored with most MMO's pretty fast.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: lozina
EVE online is the ultimate elitist's game. If you joined EVE online in the beginning and kept up your skill training, you're part of the club. If you joined years later you'll always be struggling to try and learnt he skills they already have to try and compete with them in battle, but you'll never actually catch up because skills are strictly time-based.

I have tried the game twice and both times quit because of that, and because of how slow travelling was.

I wanted to join EVE to PvP, not to mine asteroids or chat. But if the veteran players have way too many advantages in their favor making PvP too much of handicap against newbies. Couldn't it be enough that people playing longer naturally have more experience with the combat? No, they also have to have skill advantages which you will never match no matter how hard you try. It's a major flaw of the game.

Again, they fixed traveling with warp to 0. My character is only a year old, I have pretty much mastered about 3 weapons systems now. It really doesn't take that long to master one so you'll be at the same level as the "elites." Not to mention, if you setup the ships probably to counter whatever your enemy has, skill points don't matter. Lacking skills is just something easily acquired by PVPing more. If what you were saying were true, it'll be impossible for me to kill people in 3 year old characters, but I've done so just fine.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: neutralizer

Again, they fixed traveling with warp to 0. My character is only a year old, I have pretty much mastered about 3 weapons systems now. It really doesn't take that long to master one so you'll be at the same level as the "elites." Not to mention, if you setup the ships probably to counter whatever your enemy has, skill points don't matter. Lacking skills is just something easily acquired by PVPing more. If what you were saying were true, it'll be impossible for me to kill people in 3 year old characters, but I've done so just fine.

wow, they fixed traveling to to 0 sector space. what about traveling to 99% of the rest of the game?

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I know its been out for a few years. I am a hardcore gamer who does not have a lot of time lately. Is there any point in my joining Eve, or is the game dying or soon dying?

EVE is far from dying. Two month ago they released Revalations Part 1, an expansion to the game. Part 2 will be coming eventually which will involve a graphical overhaul of the game engine to bring it more up to date.

EVE is a complex game and, as you can see from the posts, it has a love/hate complex. It's either one of the most brilliant games you've played, or you think it's a piece of crap. There's not really any middle ground. I fall into the former category - EVE picks up where UO left off.

You can play for 14 days free, so what's there to lose? I would recommend finding a competent corp (guild) to join fast. The game can seem daunting when you first start because there is no hand holding in EVE. They run you through a 2 hour tutorial which gives you some basic knowledge, and then it is all up to you. You are the master of your own destiny.

AbsoluteParadigm

Jul 28, 2003

wow, they fixed traveling to to 0 sector space. what about traveling to 99% of the rest of the game?

Neutralizer means that now you warp to 0 km from the destination for all gates, stations, acceleration gates, and celestial objects instead of the previous 15 km from the gate. Makes a big difference in travel time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: AbsoluteParadigm

Neutralizer means that now you warp to 0 km from the destination for all gates, stations, acceleration gates, and celestial objects instead of the previous 15 km from the gate. Makes a big difference in travel time.

how long does it take to get that skill and be able to afford the equipment that allows it? probably a long time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: crownjules

EVE is far from dying. Two month ago they released Revalations Part 1, an expansion to the game. Part 2 will be coming eventually which will involve a graphical overhaul of the game engine to bring it more up to date.

EVE is a complex game and, as you can see from the posts, it has a love/hate complex. It's either one of the most brilliant games you've played, or you think it's a piece of crap. There's not really any middle ground. I fall into the former category - EVE picks up where UO left off.

You can play for 14 days free, so what's there to lose? I would recommend finding a competent corp (guild) to join fast. The game can seem daunting when you first start because there is no hand holding in EVE. They run you through a 2 hour tutorial which gives you some basic knowledge, and then it is all up to you. You are the master of your own destiny.

so true about the love/hate thing.

graphics are pretty in the game but its not like they have to do alot.

a few gas clouds, a few asteroids. all very simple things. hell, planets were just gray spheres the last time i played. they could at least make them look like planets. music is pretty decent too but gets repetitive quick.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Like a dev said once, "you are not your ship"

The ship you are on does not make you who you are, the people you are with make who you are. I was with MASS shortly after the formation of Stain Alliance back in the days, fought against Curse Alliance untill they fell. Fought against BOB, fought with BOB. Along a long list of other player groups.

And the ones who really make the game are the leaders, they shape the world. If you get to be along for the ride, then its a truly awsome experience which no other game can offer... not even close.

Oct 25, 2006
Its really all a matter of preferance.

If you join a medium large corps, its fun. However, you get the feeling that you are never doing ANYTHING. To get to a point you have to jump so many times, you don't want to play anymore. I played with the sound off because I hated the "warp drive active" sound.....

Graphics are good, and fairly realistic.

however, combat is kind of boring. Click, lock on, and engage weapons. higher up, its gets more interesting as you have more things at you command, but you have to get to that points.

Also, asaide from mission, there is never really much to do, except mabye Pvp wth friends, or mine, or haul stuff across a galaxy.

Feb 24, 2001
Has anyone not been following the devs basically threw the game in favor of one alliance. Asshats. Then didn't do a damn thing about it once they got caught.

Someone over on at the Shack did the math and said it basically equated to about $800,000 on eBay.

Don't see how anything short of a server reset or new world can fix wha they did.

Lockout

Jul 11, 2004
$800,000? That sounds like fuzzy math to me. I'd like to see his calculations.

Going by a rate of 10 million isk per dollar, that'd be equivalent to 8 trillion isk. I don't think any single alliance in EVE is worth anywhere near that much. That's just a huge amount of money.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i don't know. depends on how many members it has. how long they've been playing ,etc.
when i played, a random stranger gave me 3 million isk.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
One thing I will give EVE as a negative - it is horribly coded. There are a lot of things that are done in an ass-backwards way from a programming standpoint and they lead to a reduction in the overall quality of the game.

Right now, the equivalent of a world war is going on in EVE - all the major 0.0 power blocs are fighting each other. I'm in one and was in a giant fleet battle (200 v 200) that was simply unbearable. I lagged unbelievably. It took me anywhere from 5-10 minutes to finally load all the ships, at which point I was insta-killed because I had actually popped up on my enemies' screens long ago. Granted, it is a lot better from a few months ago when battles like that weren't possible because the stress on the server node would cause it to crash, but it still is frustrating nonetheless.

Regarding the whole CCP developers being in alliances, that really is a shame. I'm not sure how CCP didn't have the foresight to see that as a MAJOR conflict of interest. While EVE is a game, people pay to play that game under the illusion that they are on a level playing field. Developers and GMs, as much as they may love to play the game, really should not be allowed to because they have the ability to influence things too greatly with just their knowledge alone and they could do it unknowingly.

The developer that was caught in BoB (Band of Brothers, who was regarded up until recently as the "premiere" PvP alliance in the game) confessed to it. He's had the character deleted and that is all. The BPOs remain in BoB's possession (as well as all the ill-gotten ISK) and t20 (the developer) is still employed by CCP. Nor has CCP come forward with a plan on how to prevent this in the future.

pandrig

Sep 28, 2001
In EVE there is a learning curve (skill training takes time). But you can have fun in many areas of the game with in a short time. Finding like minded individuals to join is prolly the key. I have been playing since release with the same core group of players and the same corp, some leave and others come back.

To me PVP is where it?s at. And even newer players can do that with in a short time frame.
I still fly frigates in combat most of the time because I like them.

While I don't think DEVS/GMs should affect the BIG PICTURE while playing the game, I do think everyone of them should play the game to understand what they are building.

And yes I'm in BoB. And I would never cheat, hax, sploit, or crash nodes in a game to win.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

It's still going by all accounts, and it's never too late to join, Every ship counts