Tommy Robinson Arrested For Filming Child Grooming Gang

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Well he pleaded guilty (am I saying that right?). Does anyone know what the maximum sentence he could have received or even if England does plea deals the same way the US does like "you can either plead guilty and get 13 months of if you lose at trial we are going for the maximum of 13 years"?

"According to Leeds Live, Robinson pleaded guilty to contempt of court and breach of a suspended sentence. The judge who sentenced him to 13 months behind bars reportedly told Robinson his actions risked jeopardizing the outcome of the sexual abuse case, potentially "costing hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds" in a retrial and forcing witnesses to testify again in front of a new jury."

My real question is, is that really a thing in England? Is it actually a crime to say someone is guilty before they have been found guilty or calling someone a rapist before they have been found guilty of rape? Does this start the moment they are accused/arrested or just during the trial? Do you have to say it publicly or is it still illegal if you are talking to some friends in your home? It seems that he clearly violated a judges order I'm just kind of shocked that it's illegal in the first place in England.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Only thing that bugs me about this, then, is how he caught their attention in the first place. A guy standing on the street using his cell phone actually stood out to them, and presented itself as cause to arrest him? I'm either getting too damn old for this world and/or am simply not aware of just how provocative his presence was.

He was live streaming it, I'm guessing that someone saw it and called it in.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Well he pleaded guilty (am I saying that right?). Does anyone know what the maximum sentence he could have received or even if England does plea deals the same way the US does like "you can either plead guilty and get 13 months of if you lose at trial we are going for the maximum of 13 years"?

"According to Leeds Live, Robinson pleaded guilty to contempt of court and breach of a suspended sentence. The judge who sentenced him to 13 months behind bars reportedly told Robinson his actions risked jeopardizing the outcome of the sexual abuse case, potentially "costing hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds" in a retrial and forcing witnesses to testify again in front of a new jury."

My real question is, is that really a thing in England? Is it actually a crime to say someone is guilty before they have been found guilty or calling someone a rapist before they have been found guilty of rape? Does this start the moment they are accused/arrested or just during the trial? Do you have to say it publicly or is it still illegal if you are talking to some friends in your home? It seems that he clearly violated a judges order I'm just kind of shocked that it's illegal in the first place in England.

He's approaching the defendants outside of the courthouse, live streaming it, and saying guilty. He's trying to influence the outcome of the case based on public opinion.

What he's doing is jeopardizing a trial and giving the defense a way to claim mistrial. It happens in the USA also, one of the lines of questioning when determining g jurors for a case is if youre aware of the case, have been exposed to media regarding the case, etc...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

No, he violated publication ban. Tried and convicted. Then judge commuted his sentece, told him to shape up for the next 18 months or he is going to the slammer. Dude decided to do it anyway since he thinks he is a martyr. He heads to jail.
Publication ban is put in place to protect the integrity of the trial. You talking about the trial with people is not publication. Broadcasting it on FB with live commentary is.

Also, this dude's case for violating commuted sentence conditions was also under a publication ban.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

In the UK the media is restricted on what comments it can make and what it can report about an alleged crime while a trial is in progress, on the basis that it might prejudice the jury. Trials have collapsed due to media outlets breaking this rule and newspaper editors have faced prosecutions over it (don't know if they've ever actually gone to prison - but definitely there have been very large fines).

Seems that the point is Robinson blatantly broke that law (and after already having a suspended sentence). And I don't think he was making some general protest against the sub-judice rule in general, so it seems fair enough that the same law should apply as does in every other case.

Personally I wonder if it isn't, perhaps, an increasingly non-viable law when 'the media' is far more than a couple of well-regulated and easily-controlled TV stations and newspapers and news is entirely international. Seems like it might be a bit of a lost cause.

But even the US seems to acknowledge there's an issue when it sequestrates entire juries to try and stop them hearing news and comment on a high-profile case, as in the OJ trial (though googling it it seems that while it used to be far more common the US has mostly given up doing that...except one report said it's happening right now with the Cosby trial - what would happen to someone who used nefarious means to try and communicate case-related information with the jurors in that case?).

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Ah and here comes the pocket pussy Etough guy! Make me STFU you America hating 3rd world twat... When you sack up come back for some more...

Take your pocket pussy and shove it up your ass you America hating 3rd world twat waffle. You came into the thread with nothing of substance and I called you out you son of a bitch.

The charges are completely insane, media records at courthouses all the time and its never been a problem.

He was arrested and sentenced in the same day with no access to a lawyer and had his rights violated.

The rape gangs were able to operate and the police never arrested them for fear of racism and political correctness thanks to scumbag leftists such as umbrella. Tommy helped to expose them and they get a trial with lawyers.

England is being destroyed and its pathetic many on here don't seem to mind.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Take your pocket pussy and shove it up your ass you America hating 3rd world twat waffle. You came into the thread with nothing of substance and I called you out you son of a bitch.

The charges are completely insane, media records at courthouses all the time and its never been a problem.

He was arrested and sentenced in the same day with no access to a lawyer and had his rights violated.

The rape gangs were able to operate and the police never arrested them for fear of racism and political correctness thanks to scumbag leftists such as umbrella. Tommy helped to expose them and they get a trial with lawyers.

He willfully violated the conditions of his probation. Judgement is summary under such circumstances on both sides of the Atlantic. It's like a hot piss test. You don't get no steenking lawyer. Clang!

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

Full bullshit dude his BIGGEST crime here is videoing vertically!

Apr 27, 2012
Full bullshit dude his BIGGEST crime here is videoing vertically!

I agree its incredibly frustrating to watch a video recorded vertically. If the races were reversed this wouldn't have happened. Many people in England are defending him and worried what could happen to him in prison.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I agree its incredibly frustrating to watch a video recorded vertically. If the races were reversed this wouldn't have happened. Many people in England are defending him and worried what could happen to him in prison.

Why wasnt he worried about what could happen to himself while violating the terms of his commuted sentence and potentially ruining the case?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
He willfully violated the conditions of his probation. Judgement is summary under such circumstances on both sides of the Atlantic. It's like a hot piss test. You don't get no steenking lawyer. Clang!

Though he did get a lawyer - the one on duty at the time, if not his usual one. A perfectly good one, apparently, not one of those US ones who fall asleep during some poor black fellow's death-penalty trial.

Feb 16, 2005

whoa, whoa, whoa there indigestible. First of all twatwaffle is a single word, 2nd being a huge one yourself, it's pretty hypocritical to call others that, you fascist little twatwaffen.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

lol, you are just freedumb

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

LMFAO. It's almost comical how much space I own in your little pointy skull! Even more comical watching gloss over everyone's posts but mine. I own you bitch. 100 % and have for over a decade now. The limp wrists of a sock puppet smench don't frighten me you 3rd world dripping wet bush... Let me know when your parents have the funds to buy you back. Until then you are still my little basement dwelling slave I use to do my bidding...

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Honorable Judge Geoffrey Marson QC said: "Ah fuck. I can't believe you've done this. I'm terribly upset with you."

j/k

Live in the United States, threw my tea in the pool, UK is on its own.

Nov 25, 2013

What a sad troll. So very sad.

Reactions: Meghan54

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
So just to be clear, he was found to have violated UK law multiple times as well as his (using US terms here) probation order and was jailed because of it? I originally thought I had doubts about his jailing but I can't find any reason to continue, I wouldn't agree with the law in the US but this ain't the US.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So just to be clear, he was found to have violated UK law multiple times as well as his (using US terms here) probation order and was jailed because of it? I originally thought I had doubts about his jailing but I can't find any reason to continue, I wouldn't agree with the law in the US but this ain't the US.

Considering the amount of money in the court system, and how innocent people can get sent to jail over public opinion, I support similar rules of engagement for media outlets commenting on ongoing trials in USA

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Considering the amount of money in the court system, and how innocent people can get sent to jail over public opinion, I support similar rules of engagement for media outlets commenting on ongoing trials in USA

First Ammendment will stop that from happening. One of the undesirable side effects.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yea, pretty much, but fake news?

Allowed to say whatever you want also means you are free to lie. Only thing you can do about that is to educate the public. Critical thinking and civics courses should be mandatory in high school. And ethics.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Allowed to say whatever you want also means you are free to lie. Only thing you can do about that is to educate the public. Critical thinking and civics courses should be mandatory in high school.

Yep, i was kinda joking with the fake news. I recently watched a show about how people have been found guilty for crimes. In one, prosecutors had virtually no evidence, all circumstantial, yet the media had swayed public opinion so far that the trial was not fair, but the judge basically said his feels are so accurate that it's fine to not move the trial to a different district.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yep, i was kinda joking with the fake news. I recently watched a show about how people have been found guilty for crimes. In one, prosecutors had virtually no evidence, all circumstantial, yet the media had swayed public opinion so far that the trial was not fair, but the judge basically said his feels are so accurate that it's fine to not move the trial to a different district.

You should see the life judges lead here. They cannot have any conversation about any (real or fictional) cases, not even with family. Lest it be used in court as evidence.

It's a great responsibility that takes great sacrifice on the personal level. I know a lawyer that got elevated to bench. He gave a speech at a convention about life as a judge. It was enlightening.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

But the US has traditionally dealt with that problem the other way round - not by constraining what the media can say, but by constraining what the jury is allowed to hear. As I understand it that is happening right now with the Cosby jury. If you do that, then you don't need to put restraints on the media or stop the general public hearing about things. You also do a lot more jury-vetting.

Of course that imposes severe inconvenience on a small group of people (the jurors), and I suppose that's why it only happens in particular high-profile cases. The British way is to let the jury lead a normal life, but to instead impose constraints on the media and not let _anyone_ hear the prejudicial stuff.

Seems to me both options have drawbacks, but they are addressing a real problem.