Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Woooo 100% completion!

I have to admit, it was an awesome adventure. I did get a bit burnt out hunting down all the mines and alarms for 100% completion, but I still had a blast.

I'd give it a 9/10

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Woooo 100% completion!

I have to admit, it was an awesome adventure. I did get a bit burnt out hunting down all the mines and alarms for 100% completion, but I still had a blast.

I'd give it a 9/10

Was there any benefit to hunting down that stuff? I only made sure to grab all the relics and documents.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Found out yesterday as I was looking online for a boxed copy of the game that there isn't a boxed copy of the game for the PC in the US. Sheesh! Not good for someone who collects games. I ended up placing an order for the UK DVD version.

Infraction Jack

Dec 9, 2011
Does this game work with the xbox 360 controller?

I have a celeron g530 and HD7750 and 20 gigs of ram. How well with this play for me at 720p?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Does this game work with the xbox 360 controller?

I have a celeron g530 and HD7750 and 20 gigs of ram. How well with this play for me at 720p?

Yeah it works fine with the 360 controller. The UI will switch up with whatever one you are using whenever. Though I played the entire game with the kb/m with no problems and thought it controller very well with it.

dizzyorange

May 13, 2012
If you max everything the graphics are stunning. Better than Crysis 3 IMO. The story was horrendousssssss. It was so unbelievably bad! This game could have been a classic with a good story and good characters.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
I bought Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite on eBay via some AMD promotional scratch off code for $45.

Seller emailed me the code within an hour and I activated both on steam. Pretty happy with the deal, comes out to $22 per game.

My 680 GTX is getting pushed right to its limit at 1920x1200, Ultra settings and FXAA. I don't think it is really playable with SSAO 2x or 4x and I saw almost 2 gb of video memory usage at one point.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I bought Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite on eBay via some AMD promotional scratch off code for $45.

Seller emailed me the code within an hour and I activated both on steam. Pretty happy with the deal, comes out to $22 per game.

My 680 GTX is getting pushed right to its limit at 1920x1200, Ultra settings and FXAA. I don't think it is really playable with SSAO 2x or 4x and I saw almost 2 gb of video memory usage at one point.

Ran fine at the resolution on ultra for me. It must be the patches because I played before they released the patches.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The story was horrendousssssss. It was so unbelievably bad! This game could have been a classic with a good story and good characters.

Really? I thought the story was surprisingly good. I can think of lots of games with crappy storylines; Tomb Raider isn't one of them.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
The story is quite similar to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Certainly not bad. I liked both games.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Story was pretty typical for this genre. Deal with bad guys and some supernatural thing. Don't know what you were expecting if you have watched Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider movies or played TR/Uncharted games.

I avoided pretty much all info on the game because I knew I was going to play it and only saw the first E3 video that was like 2 years old and I know the gist of the story being told she is stranded on a island I knew she would have to fight people to fill in as most of the "bad guy" fodder and there would be a supernatural twist to it as that is standard flare for this genre.

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
Set this aside for awhile waiting for some updates. Had two in the last week but they didn't fix my only problem with the game, spazzing hair with TressFX on along with the bad framerates when this happens. Tried the benchmark and the game for the first time without vsync and what do you know that fixes it. 50, 88 and 67.9 for bench without vsync and still 30, 60 and 50 with vsync. Guess I will give it a try now.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
now that i finished bioshock i thought i'd come back to this. goddamn quicktime events!

I'm in some wolf cave and a huge wolf attacks me. I mash left and right like it says. then it says press F to kick. I press f, nothing. i mash f, nothing. i hold f, nothing. wtf am I supposed to do??????

Last edited:

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I'm in some wolf cave and a huge wolf attacks me. I mash left and right like it says. then it says press F to kick. I press f, nothing. i mash f, nothing. i hold f, nothing. wtf am I supposed to do??????

You need to time it right. Look at the outer circle that shrinks. When it goes inside the stationary one, the circle will glow. That is when you press F.

Circle.jpg

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm surprised this got so much praise considering it's been pretty much quicktime events and a clunky 3rd person action game. I've only played for an hour or so but I'm already bored.

How long until the game isn't primarily quicktime events?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Probably just after you reach your mentor, and go to the radio tower. Before that, the game was annoying.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Lets see, there was Vladimir, her first human kill as a QTE, the wolf in the cave as a QTE, the Russian boss on the Endurance deck that had a QTE as part of the fight, and one of the Oni during the final battle sequences. So, about 4? That constitutes 'primarily' QTEs now? :confused:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm surprised this got so much praise considering it's been pretty much quicktime events and a clunky 3rd person action game. I've only played for an hour or so but I'm already bored.

IMO, "clunky" is the last word I would use to describe Tomb Raider. The combat, movement, and platforming feel extremely seamless and fluid to me.

And as mentioned above, there aren't many QTEs once you get past the beginning.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Probably just after you reach your mentor, and go to the radio tower. Before that, the game was annoying.

Ok, good to know there's something to look forward to then. Thanks

Lets see, there was Vladimir, her first human kill as a QTE, the wolf in the cave as a QTE, the Russian boss on the Endurance deck that had a QTE as part of the fight, and one of the Oni during the final battle sequences. So, about 4? That constitutes 'primarily' QTEs now? :confused:

Based on the first hour of gameplay, yes it's been primarily QTEs. Crawling out of a cave (press left and right repeatedly!), dodging falling rocks (press left to dodge rock), and wolves pouncing on you (press "F" NOW to continue playing) are all QTEs and that's all I've seen so far. All I wanted to know is if there's a point where it gets better, and you're the only one who answered me like an smart ass. Next time just tell me yes, it does get better.

IMO, "clunky" is the last word I would use to describe Tomb Raider. The combat, movement, and platforming feel extremely seamless and fluid to me.

And as mentioned above, there aren't many QTEs once you get past the beginning.

Maybe it's just the framerate then. It didn't seem like that was the issue, but I'll tweak the visuals some more and see what's causing me grief.