Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Max settings. Can't believe some can play this game and not notice those. The only time those didn't appear was before the game was patched. From the first patch on, that screen effect is there.

That could explain it. I'll run it again next week... but I don't remember it being so bad.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
Anyone tried it yet? I hope when they say removed water and blood "drop", they meant the hexagons. There are actually water drops on the screen that don't look bad and simulated blood drops on screen when you suffer damage. I can live with those but the damn hexagons got to go. I hope they are talking about the right things.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Anyone tried it yet? I hope when they say removed water and blood "drop", they meant the hexagons. There are actually water drops on the screen that don't look bad and simulated blood drops on screen when you suffer damage. I can live with those but the damn hexagons got to go. I hope they are talking about the right things.

"Hexagons" are gone. No water drops at all (nothing actually) when you go under a waterfall. No idea about damage, I would think the same. Looks like before the first patch.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
Yep they are gone!! They got rid of all the screen effects including the rain droplets and damage blood splatter. I didn't mind the last two but maybe they had to either get rid of them all or keep them all. That's ok with me. I'll gladly give up the water droplets that you only saw during cutscenes anyway and the damage blood splatter to be rid of the hexagons. I'm a happy as a clam now. And to the ones that actually liked this Tinkerbell effect, I'm flashing you a hexagon shaped peace sign saying rock on dudes.

Nice to see a game maker listen to it's customers.

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Max settings. Can't believe some can play this game and not notice those. The only time those didn't appear was before the game was patched. From the first patch on, that screen effect is there.

Skinning an animal.

TombRaiderDots2.jpg

More dots.

TombRaiderDots.jpg

Go into the game and take screenshots of skinning an animal and near water and post them.

You don't even have to play the game to see them. Just open the game and look at the opening game menu where it's raining with the thunder. Just sit and watch the screen and you will see the dots come in and out.

I finished the game before the March 26th patch. I liked the screen droplets. Not sure how I would feel/deal with hexagon droplets.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Are the screen droplets on that for AMD GPU hardware as well? Or is this one of the nvidia "optimizations"?

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
Don't confuse droplets with hexagons. The only time I saw water droplets appear on the screen is during cutscenes. Also when taking damage, though they are not droplets, simulated blood splatter appears on the screen until you heal. Both of those are quite different from the Tinkerbell hexagons as you can see from the screenshots. The new patch has the in game menu option now to get rid of all of them.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
I didn't see hexagons when looking at the sun. I saw flashes of circles. Those are lens flares.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
And your point is?

Its not related to your posts. I've just been annoyed with the low quality X360/PS3 uploads on YouTube. Totally not what this game actually looks like, and the drop in quality on the consoles is staggering.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
Oh ok. I'm sure you noticed the red hexagons on your second vid (since you had said you didn't notice them).

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Started playing this recently [within the past few weeks] off and on between SWTOR dailies - the only gripe I have is how she acts whenever a problem is presented to her - she gets all whiny about it. She's suppose to be a bad ass who isn't afraid or complains about doing anything dangerous.

Story definitely is ripped from the show LOST [stranded on an island, "the others", air vehicles crashing on the island due to some mysterious force, etc].

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Started playing this recently [within the past few weeks] off and on between SWTOR dailies - the only gripe I have is how she acts whenever a problem is presented to her - she gets all whiny about it. She's suppose to be a bad ass who isn't afraid or complains about doing anything dangerous.

Story definitely is ripped from the show LOST [stranded on an island, "the others", air vehicles crashing on the island due to some mysterious force, etc].

If you expected this, then you didn't read up on the game at all.

Also, a lot of different sources were inspirations for the game.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This is a prequel. It comes before Lara knew about the wide world, before she had to deal with life and death struggles and survival in the wilderness. By the end she turns into the badass you think she should be.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
This is a prequel. It comes before Lara knew about the wide world, before she had to deal with life and death struggles and survival in the wilderness. By the end she turns into the badass you think she should be.

^ This. She evolves as the game progresses and Crystal handled it fantastically.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
This is what the game is supposed to look like, or, as close as I can get to YouTube. The original FRAPs file is 5GBs. After Handbrake, about 335 MBs. Recorded at 1440p, 30fps, Ultimate presets. I believe you'll need a YouTube downloader to pull the 1440p version?

Getting the bow
http://youtu.be/Ho-S68RyJ24

Hunting deer
http://youtu.be/iUE8Lsk8nbg

Cooking Dinner
http://youtu.be/BnJCTybO89Y

Roaming around in the woods
http://youtu.be/-oCyBE3qwRg

I don't remember her hair looking THAT good from my playthrough. I did use tressfx though, and ultimate settings.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
I give this game a 6/10. The story was ok, except the ending.

The combat was pretty average. At least there was customization to the guns so it wasn't super bland.

The most disappointing part was the optional tombs. There was no challenge in any of them. I was hoping for some good puzzles but they were all so easy.

The best thing about this game was the graphics. I would recommend the game, but not for full price. Maybe $10 on a Steam sale. I got it with my graphics card so lucky me.