Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
You didnt upgrade to the explosive arrows?

I did, just never used it. I max'ed out each weapon except for one or two upgrades on the shotgun and AR.

I've only played on normal, but the bow and handgun were fine for most of the game. The bow had a bit of draw time but the handgun, with the hair trigger upgrade, was just as fast as the AR in terms of actual kills (AR wasted a lot of ammo on recoil). My favorite weapon out of the game, easily.

Assault rifles are made to fire in short bursts, not full auto until the clip is empty. :p
But yeah, the pistols fired almost as fast, with more accuracy.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Assault rifles are made to fire in short bursts, not full auto until the clip is empty. :p
But yeah, the pistols fired almost as fast, with more accuracy.

ARs are still made for semi-auto... burst is just a stop-gap solution anyway. :p

In any case, burst fire makes it just as slow as the pistol. Trying to semi with the AR in game is quite hard... wish they had a semi mode.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Is it just me, or is there a marked decrease in the graphical quality of TR on Xbox 360 & PS3 versions? Judging by Youtube videos, anyway.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Is it just me, or is there a marked decrease in the graphical quality of TR on Xbox 360 & PS3 versions? Judging by Youtube videos, anyway.

That's normal. When you compare the PC version and console versions of a game, 99.99% of the time, the console version looks worse. :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
FYI, Tomb Raider had a patch yesterday (3/25):

http://store.steampowered.com/news/10241/

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.730.0. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

New fixes in 730.0:

• Upgraded the save slots from three to 99
• Introduced “Last Campsite Save”, which automatically saves your progress up to the last campsite you have visited
• Added stereoscopic 3D reticle
• Fixed issues with the discovery of the Unworthy campsite.
• Fixed a problem that occurred when traveling back to the Sacred Hall Basecamp after that story has been completed
• Fixed a playthrough stopper in Chasm Bridge
• Fixed a playthrough stopper that could occur when loading a saved game created in the Coastal Forest after upgrading the axe but before opening the gate
• The active selection in the main menu no longer changes due to the rotation of the menu itself
• Fixed Mouse and Aim Sensitivity slider settings getting rounded to coarser values on save
• Fixed a crash in multiplayer that could occur while migrating hosts
• Added functionality to activate and deactivate DLC multiplayer maps during matchmaking. Maps can also be manually activated and deactivated in the new ‘Match Making’ menu in the ‘Options’ menu.
• (DX11) Fixed a few self-shadowing artifacts in the beach
• (DX11) Various performance optimizations
• (DX11) Improved sunlight shadow quality
• (DX11) Lens flares now render correctly in stereoscopic 3D
&#8226; (DX11) Improved exclusive fullscreen <-> windowed transitions
&#8226; (DX11) Fixed occasional crash on startup related to stereoscopic detection
While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build722.3, that can be used to switch back to the previous version. Please note however that you can only play multiplayer with people that share your version.

We are planning further patches beyond this one to address various issues that have come out of consumer feedback since the release of the game.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Cool, but I'd really like some single player DLC to enhance the game. Maybe some more tombs, extra sections of the island, more depth into Himiko, exploration of past wrecks, whatnot.

This seems to be another game where multiplayer has no reason to be in the game and was tacked on anyway.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Cool, but I'd really like some single player DLC to enhance the game. Maybe some more tombs, extra sections of the island, more depth into Himiko, exploration of past wrecks, whatnot.

This seems to be another game where multiplayer has no reason to be in the game and was tacked on anyway.

I agree. I don't see the point of MP in this game.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
I can't stand the screen effects of big hexagon dots all over the screen that I guess is supposed to simulate water and blood. Don't know what thought up that idea but apparently someone thought it would look cool (it doesn't, it looks like crap). It is very distracting and immersion killing. Just looks terrible and out of place. I sure hope they provide an option to disable it in a future patch.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I can't stand the screen effects of big hexagon dots all over the screen that I guess is supposed to simulate water and blood. Don't know what thought up that idea but apparently someone thought it would look cool (it doesn't, it looks like crap). It is very distracting and immersion killing. Just looks terrible and out of place. I sure hope they provide an option to disable it in a future patch.

That goes away after you get out out of the scavengers hole 5 minutes into the game.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
I almost beat the game (currently at the point of no return), and I have to say that while the gameplay and level design are superb, I haven't been drawn in by the story at all. If only the story was better..

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
That goes away after you get out out of the scavengers hole 5 minutes into the game.

Nope, those screen effects stay through the entire game. I know, I've played it to the end.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Nope, those screen effects stay through the entire game. I know, I've played it to the end.

They don't, I played through until the end as well. Using standard Ultimate presets, so I don't think I accidentally turned them off. I know what you're referring too, but they stopped appearing after escaping the pit.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
No dude they don't. There is no way to turn them off. If you get close to water (like a waterfall) or skin an animal, the big hexagon dots will appear all over the screen, doesn't matter how far into the game you are. Easy to test. Just go back into a game and walk close to a waterfall (don't even have to walk through it) or skin an animal (which will give you the big red hexagon dots).

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
No dude they don't. There is no way to turn them off. If you get close to water (like a waterfall) or skin an animal, the big hexagon dots will appear all over the screen, doesn't matter how far into the game you are. Easy to test. Just go back into a game and walk close to a waterfall (don't even have to walk through it) or skin an animal (which will give you the big red hexagon dots).

I did both of those things multiple times and never saw the grain dirt effect. Though, I do recall seeing water droplets on the 'camera' during rainy portions of the game. Wasn't really a negative though.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
It's not a grain dirt effect. It's big hexagon dots all over the screen. Like this.

tomb-raider-2013-lara-2.gif

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
my first post on this forum.

I would say the gameplay is average but the graphics are incredible. I didn't follow this game at all, just got it free with my gpu.

Definitely in the top 10 for the best graphics.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Yeah, I didn't see those either on highest settings... maybe it's for lower settings?

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
Max settings. Can't believe some can play this game and not notice those. The only time those didn't appear was before the game was patched. From the first patch on, that screen effect is there.

Skinning an animal.

TombRaiderDots2.jpg

More dots.

TombRaiderDots.jpg

Go into the game and take screenshots of skinning an animal and near water and post them.

You don't even have to play the game to see them. Just open the game and look at the opening game menu where it's raining with the thunder. Just sit and watch the screen and you will see the dots come in and out.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yup, there's definitely water and dirt-smudge "hexagons" that show up on the camera from certain actions or cutscenes. I didn't find them too annoying, although I agree they were a bit overdone.

To those who claimed they didn't see anything: Maybe some people are just less observant or something? I don't know, I thought they were pretty obvious.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
my first post on this forum.

I would say the gameplay is average but the graphics are incredible. I didn't follow this game at all, just got it free with my gpu.

Definitely in the top 10 for the best graphics.

Yes, this game is absolutely gorgeous.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yup, there's definitely water and dirt-smudge "hexagons" that show up on the camera from certain actions or cutscenes. I didn't find them too annoying, although I agree they were a bit overdone.

To those who claimed they didn't see anything: Maybe some people are just less observant or something? I don't know, I thought they were pretty obvious.

Could of been they played it before they were patching in since there was a bug that made them not show up in fullscreen.

I played all but the very last area of the game before the patch came out that "fixed" it by adding those effects in. Frankly I wish I could of rolled back the patch or have an option to turn them off as they are a bit over done and annoying after a little bit. Great game though otherwise I really liked TR.

Mike89

Aug 30, 2001
I also thought is was a great game otherwise. The effects besides being immersion killing, were just ill placed to me and not even consistent. Here you go next to a waterfall and get the effect but walking in pouring down rain and no effects. Then the screen filling up with red hexagons when skinning an animal was just out of place. Didn't make sense and seemed to me they were put in because someone thought they looked cool. I didn't see anything cool about them at all (after the first time I saw them I was going, "wtf, alright already don't show them to me again"). Another point is that this is a third person game. Why would there be any "on camera lens" effects anyway? I'm hoping for the option to turn them off in a future patch. Then everyone (including those who actually like this effect) would be happy.

Last edited:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I also thought is was a great game otherwise. The effects besides being immersion killing, were just ill placed to me and not even consistent. Here you go next to a waterfall and get the effect but walking in pouring down rain and no effects. Then the screen filling up with red hexagons when skinning an animal was just out of place. Didn't make sense and seemed to me they were put in because someone thought they looked cool. I didn't see anything cool about them at all (after the first time I saw them I was going, "wtf, alright already don't show them to me again"). Another point is that this is a third person game. Why would there be any "on camera lens" effects anyway? I'm hoping for the option to turn them off in a future patch. Then everyone (including those who actually like this effect) would be happy.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=136238

New patch is out today, just for you :p

New fixes in 732.1:

- Fixed an issue in ”Chasm Monastery” where the player cannot progress after fighting the Oni.
- New community requested graphics option ‘Screen Effects’ to disable camera-based full screen effects like water and blood drops.
- Fixed last campsite save not always updating when expected.
- Various small optimizations.
- Various minor UI fixes.
- Minor graphics fixes.