Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i don't know about that but i did notice they like to do "look down the top of her shirt" angles a lot.

i didn't notice that till i saw conan's review.

i did notice yesterday though in the cutscenes how much her clothes/body has degraded over the course of the game. the attention to detail is pretty awesome in that sense. the back of her shirt has a bunch of tears on it and the shirt is dirty as shit. her skin also has a ton of cuts/scrapes all over it now.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
i didn't notice that till i saw conan's review.

i did notice yesterday though in the cutscenes how much her clothes/body has degraded over the course of the game. the attention to detail is pretty awesome in that sense. the back of her shirt has a bunch of tears on it and the shirt is dirty as shit. her skin also has a ton of cuts/scrapes all over it now.

You know, I'm not seeing the same degradation of the clothing. The cuts/scrapes, yes, but the clothing looks the same. I'm using Ultra settings with tessellation turned off, in windows mode (to get the water/blood effects).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You know, I'm not seeing the same degradation of the clothing. The cuts/scrapes, yes, but the clothing looks the same. I'm using Ultra settings with tessellation turned off, in windows mode (to get the water/blood effects).

how far into the game are you? i think i'm near the end like 10 hours in. it's VERY apparent at this point. i'm playing on 360 though so not sure bout the pc settings and stuff.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
how far into the game are you? i think i'm near the end like 10 hours in. it's VERY apparent at this point. i'm playing on 360 though so not sure bout the pc settings and stuff.

I'm 12 hours in, just got through the caverns after Shanty Town.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm 12 hours in, just got through the caverns after Shanty Town.

wow you are taking your time :p. i'm pretty sure i finished that up after like 4-5 hours. i just don't remember when the end of shanty town was exactly as far as what part in the story. i'm pretty sure im very close to the end of the game.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
i don't know about that but i did notice they like to do "look down the top of her shirt" angles a lot.

Everytime she squeezing through a narrow corridor they place the camera at sideboob level.

wow you are taking your time :p. i'm pretty sure i finished that up after like 4-5 hours. i just don't remember when the end of shanty town was exactly as far as what part in the story. i'm pretty sure im very close to the end of the game.

If you don't spend the time to collect all the artifacts, salvage, etc you can rip through it a lot quicker. Some people don't care about that stuff though.

tumblr_mjbm3tYB5G1r083kuo1_1280.png

:biggrin:

That was pretty horrifying when it happened. Very pleased that she came out covered in blood rather than not bothering with a new texture. Lots of attention to detail.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Yeah, I'm trying to get all of the artifacts and stuff and have gone back to a couple areas when I had the required weapons, plus I had some fun trying to hit rabbits with my bow. Oh, and it doesn't help that I let each book, artifact and relic narrations complete before I continue with the game.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah, I'm trying to get all of the artifacts and stuff and have gone back to a couple areas when I had the required weapons, plus I had some fun trying to hit rabbits with my bow. Oh, and it doesn't help that I let each book, artifact and relic narrations complete before I continue with the game.

I'm playing the same way. I'm 99% sure I am on the last "area" now but have been going back getting things I missed in previous ones. I really really like this game. It has its issues as I mentioned in previous posts, but it just hits so many things right that it is such a joy to play.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

yeah i hear you on that. i rented it from redbox and plan on returning it tomorrow. after my first session of it i almost wished i had just purchased it so that i could take my time and collect everything because the game is just so good and i'm loving it. but i also kind of wanted to rush through it because god of war is next week, then gears of war the following week, then bioshock the week after that. so many games!

maybe down the road i'll pick it up though or trade someone for it to collect everything. i initially was reading all of the artifacts and stuff too, but then was like screw this i want more action!

Majic 7

Mar 27, 2008
Patch came in this morning. Oddly I could choose options in the launcher before the patch downloaded. This caused an instant stopped working before. I had to fool around in Steam before the patch downloaded. Fixed missing visuals, don't know if I really like the raindrops on the screen thing. Hair is not so floaty with TessFX now, didn't change framerates with it enabled and it seems to clip more.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Patch came in this morning. Oddly I could choose options in the launcher before the patch downloaded. This caused an instant stopped working before. I had to fool around in Steam before the patch downloaded. Fixed missing visuals, don't know if I really like the raindrops on the screen thing. Hair is not so floaty with TessFX now, didn't change framerates with it enabled and it seems to clip more.

I thought patches update by themselves on steam. I don't want to finish the game yet it's so good.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

No news of a patch on Steam. What was patched?

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
Finished it last night...first game I've finished in awhile. Really really good game...ready for the next one:)

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
No news of a patch on Steam. What was patched?

Seems that the only way to find a changelog for TR patches is to check the exe version and then search online. Found this on Eidos' forums:

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.718.4. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

This update addresses a variety of issues that we either found out about shortly before release or immediately after.

Fixes include:

- Addressed some stability and startup issues on machines that have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics hardware.
- Fix for players being unable to progress related to the boat in the beach area.
- Some fixes for crashes on startup and when selecting Options.
- Some small improvements to TressFX hair rendering.
- Fixes for various graphics glitches, including certain effects not being visible in fullscreen mode.
- Fixed a problem that caused some users to not be able to use exclusive fullscreen.
- Added support for separate mouse/gamepad inversion for aiming, as well as support for x-axis inversion.
- Fixes related to the benchmark scene and benchmark mode.
- Various other small fixes.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=134690

What is immediately noticeable to me is that their main menu sizing is fixed (sometimes on startup it would appear smaller), as well as a shading improvement on the TressFX. Each hair strand would appear overshaded. It's still there but not quite as bad with the patch.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I noticed that you no longer have to be in windowed mode to get the on-screen effects like rain droplets and blood splatter.

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009
Patch came onto Steam this morning. 95MB, so decent chunk of changes.

I'm torn with this game. It's gorgeous, I'm enjoying the story, and the game as a whole is great. It's just fun to play and a really good adventure.

On the same hand, it's a piss-poor "Tomb Raider" game. It has almost NOTHING that made the original so wonderful. I get a better sense of isolation, wonder of exploring ancient tombs not seen for thousands of years, and more puzzles from raiding ruins in Skyrim. It's pretty good when it opens up, a la Arkham Asylum and lets you move about. It just doesn't open up quickly enough, or stay open long enough before forcing you into the next QTE or explosion fest.

It's just puzzling because Crystal Dynamics did some a great job with TR: Anniversary and Legend (though I disliked the constant radio chatter in Legend). I understand it's not 1995 anymore and you have to update, but I just feel like they could have left just a little bit more of the "old" in within compromising the new. I feel like even Crysis 2 gave you more options and choices as to how to proceed.

Here's hoping for a sequel.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
On the same hand, it's a piss-poor "Tomb Raider" game. It has almost NOTHING that made the original so wonderful. I get a better sense of isolation, wonder of exploring ancient tombs not seen for thousands of years, and more puzzles from raiding ruins in Skyrim.

Thats a shame. Its what I like most about Tomb Raider, and wish Uncharted would do more of. Maybe they'll release some tombs in DLC.

Has anyone played that Last Adventurer DLC? I dont know if it was released yet, but it was one of the preorder bonuses on Steam.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finished it last night...first game I've finished in awhile. Really really good game...ready for the next one:)

i liked the little homeage they paid to the originals at the very end of the game :)

i do agree that i wish the game had more "tomb raider" type of stuff like puzzles that aren't a breeze to solve that actually made you think, and just more of em in general. but regardless, the game is amazing.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I finished today with 80 something percent complete. It was very fun, but very short. I am glad I got this free with my video card or I would have been a bit put off at spending $50 for 12 hours of gameplay. Those 12 hours were awfully fun though.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Okay, loving this game so far.

But i'm having real issues with the whole special moves kills where you do silly stuff like mash keys (yeah playing with kb not controller) to kill enemies.

It's not working out for me so well, and i'm getting tired of seeing her die constantly because i couldn't get the key mashing gimmick just right. :(

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Its not so bad because the game tells you what to mush; the biggest pia is that sometimes it wants F and sometime it wants E; and imho it seems kind of arbitrary at time. I guess F when it gives you a bulsize and otherwise E :)
-
As I noted above I'm less enthused about the game then others but I'm only 25% done. I think my biggest complaint is that the map is pretty linear; not so much to explore and not much in the way of puzzles. I would akin it to (as someone else noted) an interactive movie; but the story isn't building too much suspense. I really did find dishonored (which I completed just before this game) to be significantly better game. This isn't horrible but I would put it in the 6-7 range for 'fun' factor while dishonored would be in the 8-9 range. Hum. Oh well I think I'll try dragon commander next.

Okay, loving this game so far.

But i'm having real issues with the whole special moves kills where you do silly stuff like mash keys (yeah playing with kb not controller) to kill enemies.

It's not working out for me so well, and i'm getting tired of seeing her die constantly because i couldn't get the key mashing gimmick just right. :(