Tom Ridge says Bush Administration pushed to raise terror alert for re-election

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Harvey
-snip-
Olbermann

You're quoting Keith Olbermann as some sort of proof - on anything?

Bwuhahaha

Fern

Go watch his clip - he presents the facts showing the correlation, as I recall. You are acting like one of the hyenas to refuse to look at or discuss the facts, only name-calling.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: BuckNaked
Originally posted by: seemingly random
I will never be able to erase the image of powell at the u.n. lying to the whole planet. He's an impressive guy but everyone needs to be held accountable for their actions. He pissed away years of hard earned respect and dignity with the republicans.

I felt and still feel the same way... but also wonder how much he did or didn't know... was he a 'sacrificial lamb' or was he in all the way with Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and the others...?
I would assume that powell did, and still does to some extent, have contacts all over the world. He's never come across as a fool. I think he knew exactly what he was being asked to do and chose to do it. If he chose to do because he thought it was the right thing to do, then I'll have to withdraw every good thing I've said about him.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Craig234
I will never be able to erase the image of powell at the u.n. lying to the whole planet. He's an impressive guy...

Why?

Somewhat like John McCain, this seems to be based more on repition than anything.
I don't put him in the same class as mccain at all. mccain seems like someone who has risen by climbing on the backs of others - someone who's "succeeded without really trying". I have a general impression of powell that he's an articulate, standup person. I've never met him so I don't really know him. Impressions from afar can easily be right or wrong. He could be a serial killer for all I know. I don't think powell is a very good politician - and that's a plus in my book.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I will never be able to erase the image of powell at the u.n. lying to the whole planet. He's an impressive guy...

Why?

Somewhat like John McCain, this seems to be based more on repition than anything.
I don't put him in the same class as mccain at all. mccain seems like someone who has risen by climbing on the backs of others - someone who's "succeeded without really trying". I have a general impression of powell that he's an articulate, standup person. I've never met him so I don't really know him. Impressions from afar can easily be right or wrong. He could be a serial killer for all I know. I don't think powell is a very good politician - and that's a plus in my book.

The best politicians tend to have supporters not think of them as politicians. Actually, Powell's reputation in the military I've seen is that he was *very* political.

You list two traits - 'articulate' and 'standup'. Articulate for me is like a sword that cuts both ways - it's the underlying policy that matters. Articulate furthering good policy is good, and furthering bad policy is bad - it's a somewhat indeterminite factor in judging, since I'll look more at the policy and morality.

Which is what 'standup' is somewhat about - but what do you mean by it exactly with Powell? It sort of sounds like the image I described highly polished with repitition.

I saw Powell give a speech for his charity foundation - I think it was shortly before the Bush administration - and my impression was 'image building'.

To be fair, I've had the same sort of comments about Obama beginning in 2004 until the 2008 campaign, but Obama is far more 'electrifying' for crowds it seems, and I see a lot more to him in his message. Unfortunately, my more negative reaction hasn't gone away when I watch him not act on those words.

As I said in a comment I did not include in my first post and cut out, he seems to look better in contrast to those around him - the 'most' integrity ijn the WMD fiasco for example.

His half-measures to do the right thing look great in comparison to the people who did less than that.

For a better 'hero', a man of integrity, his top aide Lawrence Wilkerson has spoken repeatedly on the issues while Powell has remained mostly silent, not making enemies.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
did I just see Fern pull a Dick Cheney? did you really just say that the HEAD OF HOMELAND SECURITY was 'out of the loop' on national security issues? Wasn't that the sole purpose of his job?

Are you really saying that Olberman is/was lying about the contents of the Ridge book?

Are you kidding me?

My god - is it ever possible for you extreme folks - on the left or the right - to sometimes admit the people you support/suppported are/were wrong?

Isn't that possible?

Amazing the denial some people live in.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Not terribly surprising, but to hear it from him, what a sh*t administration that was, like we didn't know already, but still.

This. I can't wait until things really start flowing when Colin Powell's book (among many other) comes out and then even further (perhaps decades) down the road when we learn even more about this past administration. Absolutely disgusting.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
...and the ones with blinders on, the ones that voted for them not only once but twice, will never acknowledge they cast their votes for the most secretive, criminal administration ever. Personal responsibility isn't a word in the neocon playbook nor is culpability evidently because they are the ones blaming the state of the country on Obama.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: umbrella39
...and the ones with blinders on, the ones that voted for them not only once but twice, will never acknowledge they cast their votes for the most secretive, criminal administration ever. Personal responsibility isn't a word in the neocon playbook nor is culpability evidently because they are the ones blaming the state of the country on Obama.
I think their playbook begins with the importance of being arrogant.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Why?
The best politicians tend to have supporters not think of them as politicians. Actually, Powell's reputation in the military I've seen is that he was *very* political...
This reminds me of all the people who thought President Eisenhower was "not a politician". General Powell is indeed a highly accomplished politician; an officer does not reach General officer rank without some political skills and does not become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff without political skills rivaling those of any president.

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
Those who seek a position of power are, by that very trait, wholly unfit for that position of power.

ANARCHY!! WOOOOOOO

/runs through the street with Molotovs