Tom DeLay Lies About Fake Appointment to Get Campaign Contributions

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
MSNBC Link

First there was a recorded message: ?This is Congressman Tom DeLay. I?m asking you to serve as an honorary chairman on our business advisory council, and you will be recognized with our national leadership award.?
Then, a telemarketer came on the line: ?You?d be invited to private dinners with congressmen and quarterly strategy sessions in Washington.?
In the call, Helton was also promised an exclusive black-tie president?s dinner and his name in a newspaper ad.
Then came the pitch from the telemarketer: ?We?re asking each chairman for a one-time gift of $300 or $500 for the ad. Can we count on your support??

rolleye.gif

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Past awardees include a convicted sex offender and a maker of drug paraphernalia ? both awards were later rescinded.
The award also is proudly displayed in the office of an adult film promoter, Harry Weiss, who sent Republicans a check from his company ? ?Nefarious Films.?
?They cashed the check, so I guess they?re happy to have me aboard,? Weiss said.

Now that's funny . . .

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Helton, an independent voter who voted for Bush in the last presidential election, did not send a dime. ?It was dishonest, it was sleazy, and it was certainly unbecoming a national party like this...

...and it sounds exactly like the Republican party!

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: chess9
No Democrat ever stooped so low. :)

-Robert

Not nearly that low.. They, the Dem's, get their big buck funding from the 'Off Shore Crowd'. Most liberal folks can't pony up 500$ for some spaghetti..

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
CAD,
Exactly But it sure was used by the DNC

Gee Cad, you know polo ticks ain't like normal life. A funeral is like a wake for the Pols.. they celebrate themselves and whoop it up a bit. Booze does that to ya.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
And how many of the critics of Wellstone's memorial viewed anything more than excerpts on some FOX hatchet piece?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
So DeLay's sleazy telemarketing scam is OK 'cause some democrats did something once? Damn, I'm getting so tired of the 'two wrongs make an right' defense.
rolleye.gif

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
So DeLay's sleazy telemarketing scam is OK 'cause some democrats did something once? Damn, I'm getting so tired of the 'two wrongs make an right' defense.
rolleye.gif

Yeah - me too. Now what is the story with those judges...

PS - I never said his phone campaign was "OK". But then again...I got 2 absentee ballots(one with my 5 digit zip and one with the 4 number extention) in 2000...sent by a "get out the vote campaign by?...Hmmm.... They all play dirty, but no that doesn't excuse them.

CkG

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
And who SPECIFICALLY used that event as a fundraiser?

Not a "fundraiser" perse....more of a political rally to try to help get their people elected. Pretty sad if you ask me.:)

CkG

The only one who really tried to excite the crowd was Wellstone's son. Isn't that his right at his father's funeral?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BDawg

Not a "fundraiser" perse....more of a political rally to try to help get their people elected. Pretty sad if you ask me.:)

CkG

The only one who really tried to excite the crowd was Wellstone's son. Isn't that his right at his father's funeral?

He wasn't the only one nor was it the only thing. If you watched it, you'll know what "else" there was. It wasn't just his son.:p

CkG

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Why would Wellstone be holding a "fundrai..." while dead?

You obviously didn't watch it. The Dem party turned a respectful funeral into a super-hyped partisan social. It was disgraceful, it really made me sad and upset at politics in general. :disgust:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: kage69

You obviously didn't watch it. The Dem party turned a respectful funeral into a super-hyped partisan social. It was disgraceful, it really made me sad and upset at politics in general. :disgust:

You think Wellstone would have minded?;)

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Thank You! The phony piety of some people is what is truly disgraceful.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

People like Tom DeLay, Jerry Falwell, Bill Bennett, and Rush Limbaugh?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I can only presume you are refering to me. Please, if you would, disclose to the rest of us what brought you to this conclusion (that my distaste for the way his funeral was corrupted is somehow 'phony').

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

CkG

Before that...

Exactly;) But it sure was used by the DNC.

CkG

wait you said it was exactly a fundraiser, now you're saying it's not really?

more half truths from the right?

From what I've heard from what Wellstone's son said, it was just a normal funeral nothing political. But spinsters from the right who weren't there made it sound like some political ploy.

I trust Wellstone's son more than I trust gambling addicts, racists, racist drug addicts, and hypocrites.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

CkG

Before that...

CkG

From what I've heard from what Wellstone's son said, it was just a normal funeral nothing political. But spinsters from the right who weren't there made it sound like something political ploy.

I trust Wellstone's son more than gambling addicts, racists, racist drug addicts, and hypocrites.

Or maybe you need to go back and look at my WHOLE post on that... you know the part that contained someone quote that said "No Democrat ever stooped so low". "Exactly" meant that Wellstones "funeral" was a pretty low stunt by the DNC.

More half-assed accusations from the left?;)

"When you see all that rhetorical smoke billowing up from the Democrats, well ladies and gentleman, I'd follow the example of their nominee; don't inhale."-Ronald Reagan

CkG

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

CkG

Before that...

CkG

From what I've heard from what Wellstone's son said, it was just a normal funeral nothing political. But spinsters from the right who weren't there made it sound like something political ploy.

I trust Wellstone's son more than gambling addicts, racists, racist drug addicts, and hypocrites.

Or maybe you need to go back and look at my WHOLE post on that... you know the part that contained someone quote that said "No Democrat ever stooped so low". "Exactly" meant that Wellstones "funeral" was a pretty low stunt by the DNC.

More half-assed accusations from the left?;)

"When you see all that rhetorical smoke billowing up from the Democrats, well ladies and gentleman, I'd follow the example of their nominee; don't inhale."-Ronald Reagan

CkG

If you actually read what you and yourself quoted, you appear to agree that it was a fundraiser. Sorry if i called you on your inconsistancy, I humbly apologize. ;)

Furthermore, I want to see proof from a eyewitness at the funeral, that it was a "DNC" "fundraiser" or whatever. From the description of people attending the funeral, according to Al Franken's book; it was anything but political. I'm sure you can do better than quote some partisan bile from your hero Mr. Reagan.