Tom Brady to retire after 22 NFL seasons

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not fan of [American] football but I do watch from time to time. With all of the rules about "tackling" Brady could probably go another few years to make it 25. But when you've got more money than god, where's the incentive? At least he's not trying for Russian oligarch levels of wealth, at least not yet. But that boy is just a bubbling caldron of product endorsements. And I'm not talking testosterone supps either. Fo' shure.
His incentive is to win. The guy is the ultimate competitor when it comes to sports. Maybe you can say he should hang it up to spend more time with his kids but he ain't doing it for the money. Brady has traditionally taken team friendly QB contracts while he was winning super bowl after super bowl so his team could build talent around him. It's not like he took peanuts by any means, but compared to Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson - he's been a bargain.

He's never been the highest player in the NFL

If other top QB's took more of a playbook from Brady's ability to put some team needs ahead of his contract numbers, I bet a couple of them would have had an extra ring by now.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
If other top QB's took more of a playbook from Brady's ability to put some team needs ahead of his contract numbers, I bet a couple of them would have had an extra ring by now.
This one of the many things I love about this place. I know some spittle-worth's more about football than I'd like but I'm definitely not a fan. Don't really oppose either I suppose. My libertarian affectations are showing. But I never would have known any of that about Brady otherwise.

It's sort of strange, if I may veer off off topic. It's not the sort of thing I would affirmatively search out but I'm still happy I know.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Brady has something to prove now, motivation to propel him forward in his career in addition to occupying his time .
Tampa's last game was a debacle, the whole team was moribund until the last few minutes when they were like "OK let's do it, Tom can pull our nuts out of the fire" --they were off their heels for it, finally, but there was not enough time.
Tom wants to go out a winner but it will take the whole team to feel that way.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Man, I like Tom Brady - outstanding dedication towards perfecting his own game and helping his teammates do the same. Still, this seems odd. Guess he needs to find a better way to spend his days the next time he retires.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I think the salt level in Brady veins have increased due to
1. Antonio Brown. Remember this dude LIVED in his house for two years. Might has well have been his second wife. Or third, with football being the second "wife".
2. Refs taking away his skirt to let the Rams win. (First unsportsmanlike in his career)
3. Todd Bowles being a complete idiot
4. Missing the chance to humiliate San Fran and Jimmy G because of the above.
5. Missing the chance to desecrate LA on his terms long before the Super Bowl.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
clIOHup.jpeg

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
those qb's risk being screwed over by mgmt.
i think Brady had a trusting relationship with Belachek till 2 seasons ago when he jumped to Tampa Bay.

Still dont know what the rift was?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

When he does actually retire, FOX got a seat for him so he can be in peoples' ears for the next few decades...

The guy just never wants to leave the public consciousness.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
From what I heard today Brady has a locked-in $375 million dollar deal with Fox Sports as an NFL commentator once he really does hang it up which will be more then he ever made in an NFL season.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I am allergic to her.

She could send me to an asylum with prolonged exposure to her music. I become physically ill. It's not the musical style. It's that the timbre is the perfect antithesis to my ears.

i'm the baaaaald guy

duh

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
His incentive is to win.
The guy is the ultimate competitor when it comes to sports. Maybe you can say he should hang it up to spend more time with his kids but he ain't doing it for the money. Brady has traditionally taken team friendly QB contracts while he was winning super bowl after super bowl so his team could build talent around him. It's not like he took peanuts by any means, but compared to Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson - he's been a bargain.

He's never been the highest player in the NFL

and after yesterday's loss, he's 6-8 this season.
i'm guessing the divorce is messing with his style.

still cant believe he chose football over his marriage.
Did he think she was joking when he decided to un-retire?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
and after yesterday's loss, he's 6-8 this season.
i'm guessing the divorce is messing with his style.

still cant believe he chose football over his marriage.
Did he think she was joking when he decided to un-retire?
It's a tough one. You don't see his private life. His professional life is all consuming. It was hard for him to give it up.

Seems inconceivable he'll win the Super Bowl this year but the Bucks do lead the division!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It's a tough one. You don't see his private life. His professional life is all consuming. It was hard for him to give it up.

Seems inconceivable he'll win the Super Bowl this year but the Bucks do lead the division!
maybe Brady and Giselle will make up and re-marry once this season is over?
Or will he find someone younger/prettier/younger?

so the BUCs will do a redskins and go into playoffs as #4 seed for winning their division even though they have a losing record. :eek:

there will certainly be lots of buzz if Brady makes it to the superbowl.
but even if he wins an 8th ring, is it worth a marriage + 2kids?
especially when he doesnt need it... He already broke the record by 3

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
there will certainly be lots of buzz if Brady makes it to the superbowl.
but even if he wins an 8th ring, is it worth a marriage + 2kids?
especially when he doesnt need it... He already broke the record by 3
The kids are his, divorced or not. Tiger's close to his.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so the BUCs will do a redskins and go into playoffs as #4 seed for winning their division even though they have a losing record. :eek:
yup, Redskins redux...
Bucs finish season 8-9 but make playoffs because they won their division.

It would be AMAZING if Brady wins the Superbowl by getting into the playoffs this way.
(another feat that hasnt been done in the nfl b4)